OPEN RIDES & EVENTS > Trail Rides & Open Events (Everyone's invited)

Peeple's Lake and Rock Creek Trails

(1/3) > >>

TedderX:
Peeple's Lake is ok for Rigs.  Rock Creek is ATV's only.

From Chatsworth:
Get on 52 East towards Ellijay.  Turn right about a quarter mile past the Murray County Saddle Club onto Old Federal Road.  Follow Old Federal road until you see Peeple Lake RD.

Peeple Lake RD will start as pavement and then turn into gravel stay straight on that road until you see this intersection, turn left:

Starting after this intersection I will call this the "main road".  This main road has several SMALL trails you can ride on and enjoy.  Basically any side road you see you can turn onto and follow until it dead ends or has a sign saying to stop.

Further down the main road you will see Peeple's Lake to the right.

This is Peeple's Lake.  There is a small john boat set in.  However, what you see in the pictures is about what you get.  It's not a very large lake.

Back onto the main road further down on the left will be the funnest trail there.  It is marked by the 3(Forest Service Road 3).

Also this is part of the Pinhoti Trail marked by these white diamond signs.

Futher down the main road you will cross a bridge.

About a half mile past the bridge you will come into Rock Creek Trails.  There are two entries.  The one directly ahead is the ATV Trail.  The one to the right is more of Peeple's Lake.  The one on the right is the second funnest part of all of this.  Also the one on the right is marked "No ATV's aloud".  Your rig is allowed back there, just no fourwheelers.

Things You Should Know:
1.  This is closed Jan-March.
2.  This is a free area, no fee.
3.  There are no loops except for the ATV Trail.  There is one way in, one way out which is the main road.
4.  Carry a small hand saw or ax.  This place is not kept up well and sometimes a small tree might be in your path.
5.  There are several camping spots.  Some are specifically marked not to camp there.   Please be respectful of that until you find a proper area.
6.  Although you can, I would not advise night wheeling here.  This is a hot spot for Racoon Hunters and Drunk Rednecks at night.  Don't go alone unless you are/or are with a Local.  Yes you will pass Murray County 'Coon Hunter's Club on the way there.
7.  This is not a place that Murray County Law Enforcement can respond quickly or efficiently.   Please be safe and use common sense.
8.  All road/trails are dead ends.  Please respect gates and private property signs.
9.  You can easily spend an entire day here just simply exploring.  Take your time and have fun.

Trail Obstacles/Vehicle Requirements/Views
1.  This is a very beautiful and scenic area.
2.  There is a mountain graveyard, lake, camping areas, and out house.
3.  There is two small creek crossings, several small mud holes, and two nice small hill climbs.
4.  Most any Rig can make it through this area in Two Wheel Drive.
5.  There is no official rating.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 2 for difficulty and a 9 for scenary.

If You Get Stuck.
I live about two minutes from this area.  Give me a call or text.  If I do not pick up leave a voicemail.  If I'm not able to come help you out I know several people I can contact to come help you.  You can PM me for my phone number.

Hope this helps some of you.

Brad:
could you pull up mapquest directions?

i'm coming from gwinnett and couldn't get directions to either roads

Matt:
Very informative Tedder. Nice post.

BigJerm:
Looks like a nice Sunday drive. I hear ya on not needing 4x4. I did some trails up that way and could taken Megan's 2wd liberty without a problem.

TedderX:
Thanks guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version