BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Mt Aetna information  (Read 3085 times)

Offline trhoppe

• Visitor
    • tomhoppe.com
Mt Aetna information
« on: May 17, 2009, 10:30:50 PM »
We wanted to go camping/wheeling in the Chattanooga area. I've read about people heading out the Mt Aetna, but haven't seen any "official" information about it. Is it a normal ORV or is it something like Lucas Rd in Cartersville where its just someone's property you can go on if you want.

Don't want to make the drive out there just to come to a closed gate and a no trespassing sign  :)

Anyone with recent experience there?

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
Re: Mt Aetna information
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:48 AM »
Been wanting to go myself since it is only 45 min away. Think I'll take a ride up there this weekend and check things out.
Lenn

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline HeeptoJeep09

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:44:51 AM »
Its not much of a camping place but there is camping rigt down the road. Its the Lookout mountain exit on 24. Go past the Cracker Barrel and take your first right and first left. Go to the top of the subdivision and turn left. Follow the dirt road up to the right and youre there.

Its not an official ORV park. Its a access road for land owners and TVA. They dont mind us up there at all but the guy thats building the subdivision does. Dont pay any attention to the signs up. Just stay between the poles and on the hard packed dirt road up to where it gets narrow then youre there. Theres normally a security guard at the top of the paved road telling you where to go. Follow his directions and youll be fine. They put the signs and him there to scare away people. There's rumors of closing it down but they cant. Not anytime soon anyways.

Holler if you go Im about 30 mins South of there and  its a great place...let me know if you need anymore info.
98 XJ-
4.0l auto
231 w/ AA SYE
7"RE/Rustys/Custom LA lift
35" Toyos on Moabs
Lock Right-front Auburn-rear
4:10s
Chili Pepper Red

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
Thanks for the information.  {toast}
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:44:48 AM »
You can go I-24 west to exit 174 or keep going to exit 169 (Wildwood. This is googles directions). A friend of mine went up there a couple of weeks ago and told me the "rough" side is open but the "soft" side was sold & they wont let anyone on that side. Stay on the rough side or the power lines and there'll be no problem. I'm riding up there in the morning to check things out. Will post my findings tomorrow.
Lenn

Offline HeeptoJeep09

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
What at you talking about?

There's 2 ways into aetna but the other you go down another exit and it's a leased area.

Do what I told you and you'll be fine. Every part if Aetna is open that you can get to pretty much. Just stay on the bigger trails.
98 XJ-
4.0l auto
231 w/ AA SYE
35" Toyos on Moabs
Chili Pepper Red

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
What at you talking about?

There's 2 ways into aetna but the other you go down another exit and it's a leased area.

Do what I told you and you'll be fine. Every part if Aetna is open that you can get to pretty much. Just stay on the bigger trails.

Wanna ride up with me tomorrow?
Lenn

Offline HeeptoJeep09

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »
I'll prolly be workin on this dang thing most of the night. A few fellas from SEOR are going around 10 I believe.

If I get a random burst of energy and decide to go I'll holler. Just check the forum in the am.

Don't know if I wanna wheel on this dang set-up I got right now lol. 7"+ and bald 33s haha. Preparing for 35s Monday.
98 XJ-
4.0l auto
231 w/ AA SYE
35" Toyos on Moabs
Chili Pepper Red

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 01:08:46 PM »
OK boys, here's the skinny on Mt. Aetna. I followed HeeptoJeeps driving info & it was on the money.
I talked to the security guard today and he told me they developer of the subdivision has a hearing on June 8th. He has a lot of pull in Chattanooga & the guard said that the "soft" side will more than likely close then.
The "rough" side will still be open but I wouldnt recommend any stock vehicles there. Might wanna go there if Beasley get rained out. A little further to drive but from what I saw its worth it!

Directions to Soft side.
I-75 to Chattanooga.
Take I-24 West toward Nashville.
Take exit 174.
Bottom of exit turn left.
Next red light turn right. This will take you down by the Cracker Barrel.
Take first right after Cracker Barrel. (Cummins). This will take you back under I-24.
Take next left into subdivision being built. Right now the 4WD have easement to get to the riding area.
At top of hill there will be a guard there, Just pass him and continue on to the area.
Lenn

Offline HeeptoJeep09

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
Where's this "rough side?"
98 XJ-
4.0l auto
231 w/ AA SYE
35" Toyos on Moabs
Chili Pepper Red

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »
Its up on what I guess you're calling the lease. I talked to a rider up there about it and he said theres a gate there and unless you have a key forget it. Its $200 a year for leasees to run out there. You can still run up the power lines. They cant stop that, its TVA.
Lenn

Offline trhoppe

• Visitor
    • tomhoppe.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
Went up this afternoon. Hope the trails don't go away as they were awesome! We got super dirty from all the mud and it was a good time. Miles of dirt/mud with a couple of challenging sections but roundabouts to bail onto if necessary.

Sounds like June 8th hearin might be the end though :-(

We're going back on June 6th for another trip if anyone else is interested.

-Tom   

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM