BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Peeple's Lake and Rock Creek Trails  (Read 2984 times)

Offline TedderX

• Visitor
  • Be a User: Jeep.
Peeple's Lake and Rock Creek Trails
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
Peeple's Lake is ok for Rigs.  Rock Creek is ATV's only.

From Chatsworth:
Get on 52 East towards Ellijay.  Turn right about a quarter mile past the Murray County Saddle Club onto Old Federal Road.  Follow Old Federal road until you see Peeple Lake RD.

Peeple Lake RD will start as pavement and then turn into gravel stay straight on that road until you see this intersection, turn left:

Starting after this intersection I will call this the "main road".  This main road has several SMALL trails you can ride on and enjoy.  Basically any side road you see you can turn onto and follow until it dead ends or has a sign saying to stop.

Further down the main road you will see Peeple's Lake to the right.

This is Peeple's Lake.  There is a small john boat set in.  However, what you see in the pictures is about what you get.  It's not a very large lake.

Back onto the main road further down on the left will be the funnest trail there.  It is marked by the 3(Forest Service Road 3).

Also this is part of the Pinhoti Trail marked by these white diamond signs.

Futher down the main road you will cross a bridge.

About a half mile past the bridge you will come into Rock Creek Trails.  There are two entries.  The one directly ahead is the ATV Trail.  The one to the right is more of Peeple's Lake.  The one on the right is the second funnest part of all of this.  Also the one on the right is marked "No ATV's aloud".  Your rig is allowed back there, just no fourwheelers.

Things You Should Know:
1.  This is closed Jan-March.
2.  This is a free area, no fee.
3.  There are no loops except for the ATV Trail.  There is one way in, one way out which is the main road.
4.  Carry a small hand saw or ax.  This place is not kept up well and sometimes a small tree might be in your path.
5.  There are several camping spots.  Some are specifically marked not to camp there.   Please be respectful of that until you find a proper area.
6.  Although you can, I would not advise night wheeling here.  This is a hot spot for Racoon Hunters and Drunk Rednecks at night.  Don't go alone unless you are/or are with a Local.  Yes you will pass Murray County 'Coon Hunter's Club on the way there.
7.  This is not a place that Murray County Law Enforcement can respond quickly or efficiently.   Please be safe and use common sense.
8.  All road/trails are dead ends.  Please respect gates and private property signs.
9.  You can easily spend an entire day here just simply exploring.  Take your time and have fun.

Trail Obstacles/Vehicle Requirements/Views
1.  This is a very beautiful and scenic area.
2.  There is a mountain graveyard, lake, camping areas, and out house.
3.  There is two small creek crossings, several small mud holes, and two nice small hill climbs.
4.  Most any Rig can make it through this area in Two Wheel Drive.
5.  There is no official rating.  On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 2 for difficulty and a 9 for scenary.

If You Get Stuck.
I live about two minutes from this area.  Give me a call or text.  If I do not pick up leave a voicemail.  If I'm not able to come help you out I know several people I can contact to come help you.  You can PM me for my phone number.

Hope this helps some of you.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:14:26 PM by tedder28 »
-Tedder

Let's go wheelin'!

www.myspace.com/gatrailriders

Offline Brad

• Visitor
  • JACK IT UP!
Re: Peeple's Lake and Rock Creek Trails
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
could you pull up mapquest directions?

i'm coming from gwinnett and couldn't get directions to either roads
2000 dodge durango mall crawler

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
Very informative Tedder. Nice post.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »
Looks like a nice Sunday drive. I hear ya on not needing 4x4. I did some trails up that way and could taken Megan's 2wd liberty without a problem.

Offline TedderX

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:03 PM »
Thanks guys.
-Tedder

Let's go wheelin'!

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
Might ride up there next weekend and check this out. Aint too far from the house. Thanks man!
Have you ever been up that Rocky Flat trail? Its on the forestry map as a trail for 4wd vehicles. It aint but 3.4 miles long. Might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:50:03 PM by Lhub36 »
Lenn

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline TedderX

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
Might ride up there next weekend and check this out. Aint too far from the house. Thanks man!
Have you ever been up that Rocky Flat trail? Its on the forestry map as a trail for 4wd vehicles. It aint but 3.4 miles long. Might be worth a try.

Yea I've been.  You're right, it's really short.  It has two main obstacles.  One is called the Horse Shoe and the other is a large mud hole right beside it.  They're on the left down the trail, you can't miss them.

There is also three or four crests you have to cross that you can High Center on so be careful.  It's pretty fun but the difficulty would be rated a 2 out of 10 in my opinion.
-Tedder

Let's go wheelin'!

Offline catalyst980

• Visitor
  • Go Big Or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:24 PM »
Fantastic post tedder!
Is there any way you could get the general location/directions for me?
Im going to UGA next year and that looks like a pretty laid back place to ride at
1996 Dodge Ram 1500
V8 5.9L, Automatic Transmission Shifter Kit
3" Body Lift

In the future:
5" Suspension lift
33's on 12.5x15 black rims
Blacked out windows
Cold Air Intake

Offline TedderX

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 10:15:33 PM »
Fantastic post tedder!
Is there any way you could get the general location/directions for me?
Im going to UGA next year and that looks like a pretty laid back place to ride at

Umm... Mapquest to chatsworth, ga?  lol

1. Get on 411 North until you hit Chatsworth, turn right onto 52 East.  On the corner will be a Kangaroo, you'll also be able to see the Murray County Courthouse from this stop light.

2. Get on 225 North until you hit Spring Place, turn right on Alt. 52 East at the Chief Vann House four way stop.  Continue on Alt 52 East as it is the same road as 52 East.

3. Get on 75 North until you hit the 225/Chatsworth Exit(Sorry I don't know the exit number).  Follow 225 north until you hit the first four way stop.  You can turn right onto 136 East until you hit 411 North(#1).  Or you can go straight through continuing on 225 north until you hit Alt. 52 East on the right(#2).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:20:27 PM by tedder28 »
-Tedder

Let's go wheelin'!

Offline HeeptoJeep09

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46:38 AM »
Well, got deleted again. If yall are more than 20 mins away from this place dont waste your time. Its pretty yeah but if your looking to go wheeling go to Aetna or somewhere else close by.

Im not being mean or bashing Tedder but its not all that awesome...
98 XJ-
4.0l auto
231 w/ AA SYE
7"RE/Rustys/Custom LA lift
35" Toyos on Moabs
Lock Right-front Auburn-rear
4:10s
Chili Pepper Red

Offline chevy87

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 01:32:45 AM »
BUT its nice to have a place like this close by... good place to get out ride IMO

Offline HeeptoJeep09

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:14 AM »
Agree but definately not worth driving a little while to. You can see the same kind of scenery driving up fort mt or something if you're in the area.

If you wanna go wheeling don't go there. If you wanna drive down a dirt road and get your vehicle all dusty and a little mud and some purdy trees and water this is a good place.

Good write-up Tedder.
98 XJ-
4.0l auto
231 w/ AA SYE
7"RE/Rustys/Custom LA lift
35" Toyos on Moabs
Lock Right-front Auburn-rear
4:10s
Chili Pepper Red

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK