BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: August 15th. Beasley Ride Discussion Thread  (Read 37103 times)

Daniel

Re: August 15th. Beasley Ride Discussion Thread
« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »
Vince, it was good to see you again and I'm glad you could make it out. That Jeep is looking awesome by the way. You did a good job building that thing back up.

At one point on 93b I was "on the mat" in 2nd gear and slowly sliding backwards with smoke coming off all 4 tires.   ;D

And I broke nothing on the TJ this trip.  :P

Larry, I'm glad you made it out without having to fix something when you got home. I wish I couldve seen all this "fun" on 93B but I've done the whole sit on one trail all day and pull cable, so I'm glad we got to drive all over the place. Matt and I still missed 93G though, but we'll get it one day.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
Yeah, that trail was seriously stupid. It was'nt even mud though. Just loose wet soil and rocks. Never seen anything like that. Just keep backing down and hope to get enough speed to get up it and fail miserably! ;D
I've grown tired of this.

RotorHead

« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »
NorthGAX, sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you on the way out. I was running late getting out of there and then my CO2 bottle ran out of air after two tires so I had to bust out and get to the gas station. Nothing like having the right side tires aired up to 30 and the lefts on 7. They drive kind of funny like that.  ::)

Mike do not sweat it at all.  I had a compressor that I figured would work but it failed and I had to borrow Daniels.  It was good overall because my wife now understands why I need a CO2 tank.  ;D

So if sitting in the parking lot for 45 minutes is the price for a CO2 tank that is a good trade.

CO2 tanks are awesome. They are fast. I just need to get better at guestimating how much air is left. You can easily tell by weighing the tank, but that would require effort.  ::)

RotorHead

« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »
Yeah, that trail was seriously stupid. It was'nt even mud though. Just loose wet soil and rocks. Never seen anything like that. Just keep backing down and hope to get enough speed to get up it and fail miserably! ;D

Don't forget about bouncing way up in the air when you hit it. It really does help you learn how to accelerate on slick surfaces. Gotta roll into it.

Offline TedderX

• Visitor
  • Be a User: Jeep.
« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2009, 02:45:40 PM »
At one point on 93b I was "on the mat" in 2nd gear and slowly sliding backwards with smoke coming off all 4 tires.   ;D

Didn't you have a shock hanging half way off before you started the trail?   :D
-Tedder

Let's go wheelin'!

www.myspace.com/gatrailriders

Daniel

« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2009, 02:55:56 PM »
Didn't you have a shock hanging half way off before you started the trail?   :D

That's why he said he didn't break anything on "this trip"..  that was a pre-existing issue.  ;D

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »

Don't forget about bouncing way up in the air when you hit it. It really does help you learn how to accelerate on slick surfaces. Gotta roll into it.

At one section I got about 2ft under the front tires. Briggs was having a blast! He then fell asleep after having to winch 100 yds :P ;D

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »
Rick glad to hear that YJ made it out. I know we all were late getting out so thanks Rick for running those parts back up to him.

X2 I was ready to run back up the mtn if Rick had not been able to run the parts back up. I would have had to suck up to my wife for a week for being so late be that would have been ok too. 

Travis (yellowxj) proves once again what a super guy he is by dropping what he was doing and bring some spare parts up from his shop to the trail head.

THANKS. I think that was the last c-clip D35 axle at the shop and it happened to be the right side. Got plenty of 8.25 axles, got to find something useful to do with them....maybe art sculpture...turns out everyone was late to the 3rd Saturday Potluck so I didnt miss anything. We did have a good night...bonfire...tons of food...a nissan and a zj played around on the trails.
I hope I get to trail ride this year.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Travis, thanks again for the help. It was not a good place to have an axle break. You are a great guy! {toast}

Offline Night Wolf

• Visitor
  • Jump It.
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2009, 10:39:58 PM »
Had a blast! I liked it there, it was just the right challenge for my basically stock TJ on 31's.

Thank you Matt for helping with the duct tape u-joint repair! That was the SAME thing that happened at Mountainside, except I didn't know what it was until the cap flew off and took the inner axle shaft with it. I knew the sound and caught it before it went, bought a new u-joint, popped in the new c-clip, good to go.

Ted and I went back to wheel a bit more, I was just having so much fun. We were on 93C/D crawlin around when Dustin was haulin on the 4-wheeler and nearly met my grille head on. He told us about the YJ with the broke rear axle, I was leading Larry around trying to find the camping spot, then he went back to the parking area. It was around 5:30PM when we were ready to head out, eat and make the 4hr trip back home but we got the parts, brought them up to the top of the mountain (93C) a trail I didn't go on that day, and we hung around until the YJ was fixed. Didn't get off the mountain until 9PM, ate at Fatz and crashed for the night at a local hotel - I was too tired to even air up my tires or connect the sway bar after that.

Here are the pictures between Ted and I:

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e363/InoventionsEast/Wheelin/Beasley%20Knob%208-09/

some highlights:

Very cool local guy on a dirt bike that stopped and literally spent hours helping with the whole thing

The parts express mobile

The path up where the YJ broke the axle, it was kinda steep rock, I had a little trouble with stock suspension and open diffs on 31's, had to work on my line but I made it.

some videos, one of me saying how uncool it is to talk in the videos :)

/>
/>
/>
Can't wait to go back!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:32:55 PM by Adam »
~Rick AKA Jump

'05 TJ Sport - Savvy/Currie/Clayton/UCF 3" & 33s

RotorHead

« Reply #262 on: August 19, 2009, 12:49:10 AM »
Never heard about the busted axle until I got back. Travis never ceases to impress. If you think you love this sport, you better look at Travis for inspiration. He lives it and my hat is off to him.

Night Wolf, Have your u-joints tack welded so you won't have to worry about the clips coming out. One less worry.

Offline Night Wolf

• Visitor
  • Jump It.
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2009, 06:49:18 AM »
Yeah, I may go the tack weld route, I gotta get a mig welder or bring it to someone that can do it.
~Rick AKA Jump

'05 TJ Sport - Savvy/Currie/Clayton/UCF 3" & 33s

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM