BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Question about staining wood  (Read 625 times)

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
Question about staining wood
« on: November 05, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
So as most of you know I'm making a table that has a checkerboard of tiles that are going to be stained gold.  I can't say I've ever stained anything before and was wondering is some small scratches would show through the stain.

The tiles are 1.5" square so you can judge the size of the scratches from that...

ghostdancer308

Re: Question about staining wood
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 05:37:50 PM »
I don't see why you can't use a light grit sandpaper and sand the area. Prep and stain. {ehm}

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
I'm using 150 right now and that hasn't really done anything to the scratches, should I go to something higher?  They don't look that deep???

The sanding thing is getting old. I thought I had some tough hands, but this table is proving that wrong.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 06:14:30 PM »
Try an electric one. You could probably rent one from Home Depot. Man, I got a pneumatic DA sander and other tools, for what your wanting to do, at the house. I would just have to see it first hand to help you out. Other than renting at Home Depot, they can advise you as well. Just a thought. :-\

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »
Try an electric one. You could probably rent one from Home Depot. Man, I got a pneumatic DA sander and other tools, for what your wanting to do, at the house. I would just have to see it first hand to help you out. Other than renting at Home Depot, they can advise you as well. Just a thought. :-\

Hope Depot rents tools? :o @$%^&*#$%%#$@^#@!!!!!!!!

I'll run by home depot tomorrow and see what's up.  Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
You might want to go finer. I sanded my kitchen table with an orbital using 150 grit and can still see some of the swirl marks in the table.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline rabunjeeper

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
I'm a painter by trade, you will want to sand it with an orbital with 100-150 grit and then finish it up with some 220 grit. Before you stain it apply some wood conditioner and follow the directions on the can. Also put some polyurethane on it after you stain. 2 coats minimum and sand between coats with 220 grit. It will look like a million bucks and last forever.

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »
So we went over it with some 220 and it looked good enough so we basically said F it and put the first coat down.

Question, can you put polyurethane over stained and painted wood or just stained?

Hooray for crappy cell pictures  {boohoo}  The logo is gold as of 15 minutes ago, everything else is going to be a gloss white.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 10:20:26 PM by wtheonew »

Offline rabunjeeper

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 10:23:50 PM »
Yes you can but if the paint/stain is  latex/water-based, then the poly will have to be be also. You can't use oil based over top of water based. Minwax makes one called polycrylic that is water based. Another note- acrylic is water based and alkyd is oil based.

Offline wtheonew

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »
Yes you can but if the paint/stain is  latex/water-based, then the poly will have to be be also. You can't use oil based over top of water based. Minwax makes one called polycrylic that is water based. Another note- acrylic is water based and alkyd is oil based.

Awesome! Water-based it is. Thanks!  {toast}

ghostdancer308

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 06:34:44 AM »
I love the fact that we have guys with true knowledge and skill set on the forum. Even I didn't know that about paint! Thanks RBJ!! {toast}

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 07:45:32 AM »
the problm was he logo that u put on it

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM