BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Mom got a Hemi  (Read 455 times)

RotorHead

Mom got a Hemi
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:08:38 PM »
Just helped my mom buy her first Jeep. We found a really nice 06 Grand Cherokee with low miles. Oh yah, it's got a Hemi too.  {toast}

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x164/SeminoleMike/Hemi%20Grand%20Cherokee/

Offline Rockinwrangler

• Visitor
Re: Mom got a Hemi
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
Outstanding...
"A well built rig is one that is road worthy after a day on the trail"

ghostdancer308

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
cough...swap it out...cough....

mdo817

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
Cool, she will love it, the WK ride is great. {toast}

Offline Tejasol

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
I bought mine new in 05 and we have 107K on it now.  Fantastic machine.  I have not made any modifications to it.  We have used it to tow an XJ to Morris Mtn and Mountainside.  I have wheeled it up Aetna.  We have driven it down to the southernmost tip of Padre Island in TX.  I cannot say enough about this rig.  She will really enjoy having this ride.

RotorHead

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
Man, this thing is fun to drive. Just when I thought my Jeep was driving good on the road, I have to get in something like this.  :-X

So, I here these things can pull a house. I haven't looked up the tow rating on it yet. Maybe a new tow pig?  :o

Offline Tejasol

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
I want to say their rated at 7500lbs., but wheelbase is the limiting factor.  We used a friction bar to control the sway.  The Hemi doesn't mind pulling the weight at all.  I bought some Bilstien shocks/struts for it before we tried to tow with it.  One cool thing is that Jeep wired made it easy to wire up the trailer brake controller.  You don't have to run your own wire to the hook up in the rear, they did it for you.

RotorHead

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
I want to say their rated at 7500lbs., but wheelbase is the limiting factor.  We used a friction bar to control the sway.  The Hemi doesn't mind pulling the weight at all.  I bought some Bilstien shocks/struts for it before we tried to tow with it.  One cool thing is that Jeep wired made it easy to wire up the trailer brake controller.  You don't have to run your own wire to the hook up in the rear, they did it for you.

Thanks for all the info. I reread your post above and saw you towed an XJ. Did you use weight distribution?

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:03:22 AM »

Thanks for all the info. I reread your post above and saw you towed an XJ. Did you use weight distribution?

HA!  Brings new meaning to "Mom, can I borrow the car?". 

Does it have a hitch?  (OK I SEE THE HITCH)  You can do a test pull with my distribution hitch and trailer whenever.  You'll need some sort of airbag on the rear like I put in.  I bought the Firestone in-coil airbag kit for under $100 and it took almost all of the sag out of the rear at 25psi and loaded.  It enables me to put the proper amount of weight on the tongue without squashing the rear way down and the front end getting light.

So what would that motor be like in the JK?  I know what you're thinking!

Offline Tejasol

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »
No, we didn't use a weight distribution hitch.  We played around with the loading position until we had a good balance.  The back sagged a little, but not horribly.  Trust me, it wasn't an ideal towing situation.  My buddy who has a whole lot more experience towing did the driving when the trailer was loaded.  One trip back from Mountainside we towed a lifted waggy on 33s.  Airbags would be a great idea.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM