BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Complete Total Non-Offroad Question  (Read 452 times)

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
Complete Total Non-Offroad Question
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this but here goes!  I have a 2005 4 cyl. Nissan Altima that needs a catalytic converter in order to pass an emissions test.  The converter is built into the exhaust manifold so this is a bolt on replacement.  Nissan wants just under a grand to do this and the cheapest I've found any shop to do it is $650.   I believe some of you guys know where to find parts reasonably priced online and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.  I searched Rockauto and the converter is about $500.  I'm really hoping to find one a little cheaper and do this install myself.  Thanks!
1977 CJ5

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
Re: Complete Total Non-Offroad Question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »
May be worth a shot ... call LKQ @..770-775-2700
Ask for sales...they may sell an item like that since it's a bolt item.
They normally never sell cats but this may be different.
The road to prosperity should not be be paved with
 those who are in your way but by the helping of those along the way.

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:39:57 PM »
According to car-part.com, M & S Auto in Fayetteville has 3 exhaust manifolds w/ the cat, two in good condition and one that needs some welding repair. 1-800-568-3838
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this but here goes!  I have a 2005 4 cyl. Nissan Altima that needs a catalytic converter in order to pass an emissions test.  The converter is built into the exhaust manifold so this is a bolt on replacement.  Nissan wants just under a grand to do this and the cheapest I've found any shop to do it is $650.   I believe some of you guys know where to find parts reasonably priced online and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.  I searched Rockauto and the converter is about $500.  I'm really hoping to find one a little cheaper and do this install myself.  Thanks!

Just checked & we (NAPA) have this part for 351.38 Part Number 16403..Bosal is a bit more.
Perry

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'll look into these leads.  The Napa option sounds great.  I don't really care what it is as long as it's the correct part and will pass emissions!
1977 CJ5

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:57:49 PM »
How do you know it is the catalytic converter?  You should only have to pass the OBDII plug in check, no sniffer, so if you CEL is not on, no problem!

If you are sure the Cat is cuasing the CEL to be on, I vote you gut the cat and put in an O2 sim ;D
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

BigJerm

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
How do you know it is the catalytic converter?  You should only have to pass the OBDII plug in check, no sniffer, so if you CEL is not on, no problem!

If you are sure the Cat is cuasing the CEL to be on, I vote you gut the cat and put in an O2 sim ;D

x2... could just be the o2 sensor around the cat. I assume you have the error code read?

Offline rabunjeeper

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »
I wouldnt think that a 05 model would need the cat replaced. Id bet your problem lies somewhere else. What code does it bring up?

Offline jeepinjon

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »
Yeah i had the code read at the Nissan dealer and it is definitely the cat.  Being an 05 it really shouldn't need a cat but the car does have 129K miles on it so it's not terribly surprising.  From what i've read these cars had issues with the cats anyway.  The stupid thing is, the cat and exhaust manifold are one piece causing the replacement cost to be so high.  Would the O2 sim work in this situation?  I'm not familiar with that process.  Again, thanks for all the info!
1977 CJ5

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
here you go

www.buyamerican.com

oh wait dang it... we just bought a VW in FEb,.. nevermind..

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM