BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Is anyone here an HVAC tech?  (Read 713 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Re: Is anyone here an HVAC tech?
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:08 AM »
Chuck it will run in a vacuum if its low. I use to do havc everyday and still do it on the side. You are alittle further than I would want to drive. But if it comes down to you having to spend big $$$ hit me up. I have 2 jobs lined up for next week for the same thing. He told you the right way to do it but thats high to me.

I think I'm going to go ahead and let the guy test and find the leak and just take it from there.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline rdkingnut

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »
hey chuck its nut,andy's brother.yea that price is pretty high. the procedures he described are correct however.  if  its a hard system to get to evrything then i mite could see his pricing it so high but sounds like he's trying to make a killing to me.  usual price around here would be less than half that. if u can get by til weekend i could probly get up with u then to help u out. just call or leave me a message or get up with andy. he knows how to catch me.

Offline Richmon

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
People more knowledgeable than me already answered but it also could be the cost of the older refrigerant.  The price increase might be due to the R-22 refrigerant and that it is not being manufactured anymore.   

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
People more knowledgeable than me already answered but it also could be the cost of the older refrigerant.  The price increase might be due to the R-22 refrigerant and that it is not being manufactured anymore.   

Got it fixed finally - the line had cracked right at the compressor - easy fix, but due to the older refrigerant, it was right at $800.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 02:00:24 PM »
 {toast}

Offline tysonb

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 07:42:19 PM »
I hate that HVAC companies (even some of the reputable ones) are spreading the rumor that R22 (the "old" refrigerant) "isn't made any more" and thus it is really expensive or unobtainable.  If any HVAC tech tells you R22 isn't being made any more it is a LIE >:(

It is true that R22 is being phased out, here's the EPA timeline http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/phaseout/hcfc.html.  R22 cannot be produced for equipment produced after 1/1/10, but can (and still is) be produced for equipment manufactured before that.  In other words, new R22 will be produced until 2020 for use in equipment built before 1/1/10 (albeit at reduced volume as mandated by the EPA).  Some distributors still have R22 condensing units in stock, but those are going away quickly.  I placed an order for one of the last 2 or 3 25ton R22 condensers in town today.

I work in commercial HVAC and telling one of my customers that they need a new rooftop/chiller/etc because R22 isn't being made any more would get me kicked off a site.  I've heard too many stories of companies telling homeowners that they need a new unit because the "old" refrigerant isn't available or they charge outrageous prices per pound of the stuff.

I was concerned that the 2010 reduction in production was going to drive the price up - it's June and I've not seen the gloom/doom sky high prices that some were predicting at the end of last year.  Even when virgin 22 can't be manufactured, recycled will be available.  It will be a long time before R22 goes away completely (decades after 2020).

Sorry for the long ranting first post, but this rumor just gets under my skin.  I'll post a formal intro here in a bit.

Tyson

Offline NOVI FED COUPE

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:24:57 AM »
Tyson is correct. R-22 freon is still being produced. Its the R-22 equipment that is not being made anymore. I work for a HVAC Distributor and we actually still have some R-22 equipment sitting in the floor. R-22 freon has not went up either...so do not let a tech tell you its sky high.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM