BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Jeep Cherokee XJ guys...  (Read 439 times)

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
Jeep Cherokee XJ guys...
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:09:14 AM »
School me a little bit on a 99 XJ.

I read that a 99 with the 8.25 would have the 29 spline version.  Is that true?  If so, how would you say that axle holds up to a locker and 33s?  35s?

I know from my TJ experience that the HP 30 is a better axle than the LP.  How does it hold up to a locker and 33s?  35s?

Would a 4.5" lift fit 35s?  With some trimming maybe?  The one I'm looking at has 33s with a Rough Country 4.5".

Thanks
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

Offline Calvin

• Visitor
Re: Jeep Cherokee XJ guys...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
The 8.25 will hold up a lot better than the D35 alternative under those conditions. Same with a HP D30 vs the LP D30. I would, however, advise that you go easy on the skinny pedal if you do lock both and go with a 35" tire.

As far as fitting those 35" with 4.5" of lift... lift manufacturers will normally say no way, but as you look around its really up to how much you are willing to part with some sheet metal, and your willingness to take a cutoff wheel to that 99 body. Look for Jimmy on here- he's running a 37" tire on 4.5" or less I believe.
98 XJ

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:41:03 AM »
I'm running the 27 spline 8.25 and D30 combo with a welded rear and locker in the front on 33's. So far the rear has help up great to a very heavy right foot, the front isn't quite proven yet though as I only have maybe two trips on it. Also if I'm not mistaken, Jimmy ran the 8.25 29 spline with 35's for a while and I don't recall him having a lot of trouble out of the setup.

As for tire size, like Calvin said, it all depends on how much sheet metal you're willing to part with. I'm running 33's on a 1 3/4" spacer lift and sagged out add-a-leafs, but I've done a fair amount of cutting and limited my uptravel.
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
dude, as all the other guys have said, you'll be fine with the 8.25, its UNO spline short of a Dana44 and the axle housing tubes are slightly lager than the 44, soo techniqually IMO the 8.25 is ever as good as a 44, and ill would not worry one bit about running 35's with or without a locker. And plus the axle shafts are a dime a dozen, so if my chance you break, it an easy fix. Now for the D30(pice of $hit), if you run 33's you may survive, but who wants 33's?--Go big or go home right  {hihi} , now with the 35's, i ran for quite a while and constantly was relacing the intier front shafts, they brake once you squeeze in on that gas, and if you lock it, wow, ur brave IMO, that just spells trouble.  {no} , you should try to upgrade if possible to a Dana44 front, i know one guy on here.... {ehm} Richard, that may sell one, but they are not too hard to find, usually around $200-500, just have to shop.

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
dude, as all the other guys have said, you'll be fine with the 8.25, its UNO spline short of a Dana44 and the axle housing tubes are slightly lager than the 44, soo techniqually IMO the 8.25 is ever as good as a 44, and ill would not worry one bit about running 35's with or without a locker. And plus the axle shafts are a dime a dozen, so if my chance you break, it an easy fix. Now for the D30(pice of $hit), if you run 33's you may survive, but who wants 33's?--Go big or go home right  {hihi} , now with the 35's, i ran for quite a while and constantly was relacing the intier front shafts, they brake once you squeeze in on that gas, and if you lock it, wow, ur brave IMO, that just spells trouble.  {no} , you should try to upgrade if possible to a Dana44 front, i know one guy on here.... {ehm} Richard, that may sell one, but they are not too hard to find, usually around $200-500, just have to shop.

You're really gonna talk crap about 33's? I seem to recall you not being able to make powerline hill on 35's and then me making it on nearly bald 33's at Spring crawl 09 {popcorn}

Of course I did end up digging a trench with my diffs doing it. {nln}

That being said, if it comes with 33's run them til they're bald, it will teach you how to pick a line better. Of course there are guys like Ryan, who can't pick a line with 35's, so he jumps to 40's {ehm}
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Grass Janitor

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 12:40:24 PM »
thanks for the info everybody.  I would probably upgrade all the shafts to chromos when I did the lockers and I think I'd probably be happy with 33s at least until the set on there wears out.  But Im sure I'd be itching for 35s.  I definitely wouldn't mind cutting it up to fit them.  I had read that the 8.25 was similar to a D44 so glad to hear that's true.  I may not even do anything for a while anyway, I just learned from my TJ that I need to make sure I understand everything about the jeep before hand so I can do it right the first time.
Sam- Silver 2012 JKUR on 37s

mdo817

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
You will be fine man, as far as the D30, don't listen to Ryan, he is a back it up and hit it harder guy. He was breaking old shafts with old ujoints. He really doesn't have any finesse. Had he been locked and tried crawling stuff instead of jumping it, he would have probably broken less shafts.

Offline Rowingfish87

• Visitor
    • My pictures
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
dont listen to the trash talk about dana 30s...im running 36" tsls on beadlocks and a locker and its holding up pretty well. just have to learn its limits and stay out of the skinny a little bit.
2002 TJ 4.0L/NV3550/NP231/F-D30/R-D44
36x12.50x15 TSLs
RC 2.5" Lift

1998 Ram 2500 4x4 12v CTD

GANTR Member #2

Offline rabunjeeper

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
 {agree} I have a aussie locker on 33s with everything else stock down to the u joints and havent had a problem yet. Just don't spin in it in a bad situation or with the wheels turned deep and it will be fine. I haven't broke anything yet. Don't be scared to ask for a strap or to winch and you'll be fine.

Offline tjl1388

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »
8.25, D30 on 35's here with no issue.  I carry extra shafts all around and have some chromo's that are going in the stub shafts when I get the chance.

All that being said, I never wheel. The hardest hit my Jeep takes is from City of Atlanta potholes and the last one of those I hit it broke a control arm bracket....
Just another grocery getter with some lockers....
It is all about the U

Offline MACHINE

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
8.25, D30 on 35's here with no issue.  I carry extra shafts all around and have some chromo's that are going in the stub shafts when I get the chance.

All that being said, I never wheel. The hardest hit my Jeep takes is from City of Atlanta potholes and the last one of those I hit it broke a control arm bracket....

I prefer to call the pot hole a crater here in Atlanta. There are some out there that give my wrecker hell, and it weighs 40,000 lbs. Big truck alignments don't come cheap....

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM