BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Emmet Head Bonaire GA?  (Read 656 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
Emmet Head Bonaire GA?
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:02:46 PM »
anybody dealt with these guys before? if so how were they? they sell good stuff or junk? looking at a 91 5.0 h.o., and a 91 5.0 they have on car-part.com. bad thing about j/y is u cant hear em run. wanting to do a 5.0 swap soon converted to a carb. whats the best way to tell if im buying a scrap pile of metal or a good motor? i cant find anyone thats bought anything from them before
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: Emmet Head Bonaire GA?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
Take a breaker bar with you so you can turn the engine over by hand. Make sure it turns over. You could check the compression on each cylinder, make sure they are all about the same PSI. If so it should be rebuildable. They are pretty cheap to rebuild, which I would recommend anyways on a JY pull. Especially while its out.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
well i was gonna take it all apart and replace the gaskets, check clearances and new water pump, oil pump, freeze plugs, seals, and go from there. not looking for a beast motor just want about 200-250hp, want to stay carb'd, and dont see the point in a 4.0 swap, and with low hp i can reuse my 3core explorer 4.0 radiator...o yea im on a budget too lol

so i guess ill take a comp tester with me and a breaker bar. all there stuff comes with a 3 mnth warranty, which im guessing is from the time of purchase, so im going to have everything ready so it will be up and running as quick as possible. they estimate 50-70 hrs for a swap, but since ive already converted my ignition, im sure i can do it in about 2 full days working on it. and can have the motor and trans  ready in about 6 hrs, and since im using a c5 with c4 valvebody, t/c, and bellhousing, i wont need adapters

one question. for offroading and daily driving what is the best stall speed t/c to use? im going to stick with my stock 3.73's and see how they do
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

ranger11

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 06:42:24 PM »
I would use a stock convertor for offroading you want the tq as quick as you can get it. What trans are you gonna run? The first 302 I had in my ranger was about the same specs as the one built on hp last week it was about 300 at the crank. You can use stock mustang mounts and re drill the cross member. Make sure the engine has the mustang oil pan(duel sump).. Emmit head has been in business awhile but I think they just started parting cars out. How much are they asking? It will take you more than 2 days comlete the swap but you can make it run in 2 days. I would buy all parts needed before you buy the engine. You will also need oil filter relocator. I will post more when I get home. There are a few other things.  200-250hp is pretty easy and cheap with a 302.

BTW carbs SUCK for rockcrawling.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
gonna use a truck avenger carb. but since im not wanting much hp out of it, even if i decide to mod it, it will be very mild. so im using a c5 out of an 83 ranger, from my searching they say use c4 bellhousing J.W Performance, tci auto/man valve body, and tci t/c. the t/c i was looking at was 300-400 rpm over stock will that be too much?. had a truck avenger carb on my 383 jeep i had and loved it. going to be using a dual sump pan and pickup from summit(55 bux for the pan)(fox body stang), a melling hi volume oil pump, prolly L&L motor mounts because of simplicity and it keeps the motor low as possible, L&L or advance adapters headers, performer intake mani, and freshen up all the gaskets and seals. will use an 80's 5.0 duraspark disty, and some nice frpp valve covers. and L&L oil filter relocator(talks around the net says its the best, and duff leaks). if i buy the 5.0ho i should be around 225 hp, which is fine with me. but if i get a non h.o it will be around 175, so maybe i can buy some e7 heads for cheap. motor is going to be the last thing i get. got a guy from griffin gonna swap me a c5 from a 4wd ranger for my extra 1350 t-case so that works out good. been reading up on it alot, seems like a pretty straightforward swap
2000 TJ

ranger11

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »
Its pretty basic. I wouldnt spend money on "swap" mounts. All you have to do is enlarge one hole and drill another one in the cross member for the stang mounts. As long as you buy a stang engine you shouldt have to buy an oil pan. The dist. can be picked up from the junk yard for 15.00. Install a summit racing cam and you are good to go. The oil filter stuff can be bought in pieces from summit cheaper than the kit but you have to know what you need. The c5 is close to the c4 just different valve body and servo. Summit has long tube headers cheap but cant remember brand and cant find online but they are in the header section in the mag. I think stock stall is 1800 or 1500 cant remember so you should be good. I had 2 sets of e7s I just gave away a few months ago. I realized this is scrambled but o well

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 10:43:28 PM »
i have a b303 cam sitting in my uncles shop he said i could have, all he messes with is 5.0's if i need an oil pan i might could get one from him. yea i have the perma cool p/n's for the oil filter relocator, the headers u are talking about are hedmans i believe, but i think they are only for 2wd. ill be using a econoline van mech fuel pump(flipped upside down version of the reg pump
2000 TJ

mdo817

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 06:17:19 AM »
Nothing wrong with the carb for rock crawling, as long as you run propane. ;D

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
propane would be awesome, but after a while ill prolly upgrade to a holley 950 tbi kit, i just dont feel like messing around with no more wiring for right now. i hate wiring
2000 TJ

ranger11

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
check out affordable fuel injection. Lots better than holley for alot less.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
awesome, man i just checked them out, looks alot better then the holley kit
2000 TJ

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM