BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: need help with fabrication-ish stuff  (Read 904 times)

Offline Penatzer93

• Visitor
  • Yj is the only way. :D
need help with fabrication-ish stuff
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
Hey so i'm thinking about buying a 3 inch body lift for the time being, as I cannot yet afford the suspension lift and i was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me instal it on a weekend some time. I'm not sure exactlly what will be needed yet however I assume it will be a welder and a cutter of some sort(which is where the problem comes in, I neither have nor know how to use either of those.) would greatly appreciate it :)

Offline Do Work 93 YJ

• Visitor
  • Ready To Ride
Re: need help with fabrication-ish stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 09:14:14 PM »
The body lift should be pretty much just bolt on.
Do Work Aka Moon Man. What you lack in technique make up in throttle! Or a set of cheater tires.

My Build Threads
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=3683.msg62464#msg62464

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=6862.0

mdo817

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »
Stay away from 3"  {:CH}

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »
The LJ had a 3" and it looked horrible and was top heavy. But if you are set on it get the rugged ridge kit I guess. I took it off the LJ and it came with everything needed. Lift blocks, radiator drop brackets, transmission shift linkage bracket and tube to extend the gas filler neck.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:34:43 PM »
I would rather see a set of 3" shackles than a 3" BL.  {whack3}
I've grown tired of this.

mdo817

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:51:14 PM »
To get 3" lift with shackles on a YJ the shackles would be 10" long :o, that aint a good option. For about $150 you could do a 2" add a leaf and 1.25 lift shackles, or save just a little more and put a Rough Country Suspension lift on. Christmas is just around the corner, start sucking up and doing Mom and Dad some favors. ;D

Offline CopperCrawler

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
To get 3" lift with shackles on a YJ the shackles would be 10" long :o, that aint a good option. For about $150 you could do a 2" add a leaf and 1.25 lift shackles, or save just a little more and put a Rough Country Suspension lift on. Christmas is just around the corner, start sucking up and doing Mom and Dad some favors. ;D

X2 on the body lift... and the sucking up  ;D.   

If it were me, I'd start saving for the Rough Country. 

If you do find someone willing to help with fabrication, maybe look into a SOA.  They net 4.5" to 5" of lift.  I do know they have a problem with rear axle wrap, but that is all I know about them.

Mark, you other YJ guys... Pros and Cons of a SOA??
1999 TJ
2004 F-350 XLT, FX4, 4X4, 4"lift on 35s
2011 F-150 Supercrew Lariat, 4X4 (Wifes car)
And the Off Road transportation that NEVER gets stuck
1990 Tennessee Walking Horse - "JEZ"

Always remember our veterans!!  Even if you don't agree with the politics of what they are fighting for, they are someone who swore to give the ultimate sacrifice of their LIFE to defend the freedoms you and I enjoy everyday.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 08:13:00 AM »
I agree there is no point in buying parts twice. I am an expert at that. If you are set on a body lift, just get a 1" BL and save for some suspension mods, like the add a leaf and shackles.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Penatzer93

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
Yeah after having talked to a few of you already about the lift option, body lift is seeming mre and more like a bad idea.

The SOA option, can you convert stock sprigs into soa and then buy new shackles and shocks or is that just a terrible idea?

The add a leaf, I've heard that this makes bumps almost unbearable in yj's, but at the same time if my springs are sagging will it just restore my factory suspenion or will it still provide a lift? {ehm}

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:28:14 AM »
Yeah after having talked to a few of you already about the lift option, body lift is seeming mre and more like a bad idea.

The SOA option, can you convert stock sprigs into soa and then buy new shackles and shocks or is that just a terrible idea?

Yes, there is more to it than that though. You will need a slip yoke eliminator, a traction bar to combat axle wrap, and will need to do something about the steering. With that much lift, the stock steering will be sketchy at best.
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Penatzer93

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:32:43 AM »
Okay so soa =bad idea for beginner.

Does the 4"rough country lift provide EVERYTHING needed or would I still need to buy parts for the steering and such?

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »
Okay so soa =bad idea for beginner.

Does the 4"rough country lift provide EVERYTHING needed or would I still need to buy parts for the steering and such?

It's enough stuff to make it work, but you're probably not going to be too happy with the ground clearance of a transfercase drop.
93 F-250 tow pig

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM