BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Getting in shape 2011  (Read 18773 times)

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Getting in shape 2011
« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2011, 10:56:17 PM »
Been using the mapmy run while doing the C25K deal. Been back to the gym twice and the shoulder is still sucking. I can only do a 1/4 to maybe 1/3 the weight I was doing before I got hurt.

Back, biceps, half hour of fast walking and two hours of BJJ after work today.

C25K tomorrow.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

BigJerm

« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:29 AM »
Ben, does that app use GPS or 3G? Hate to use my limited data on a track

Offline gravedgr

• Visitor
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:52 AM »
New guy here tossing out my own $.02.  :)

If anyone is looking to drop weight and has the discipline for an eating plan, let me know and I will give you more details on the program I got through my doctor.  1.5 years ago I was at 244 and a couch potato (office/sitting job) when I found out my doctor was running a weight loss program where they do a full body of tests, monitor you through the program, and then run the tests after.  They check things like BMR/RMR, fat and lean muscle %, and so forth.

The goal is to provide a way for fast weight loss, without sacrificing health and lean muscle.  I have always struggled with dieting due to frustration at not eating what I like and slow progress.  This was a 12 week program and I figured I could manage anything for 12 weeks if there was progress.

Well, in 12 weeks I dropped 40 lbs to weigh in @ 204.  Body fat % was down a lot, lean muscle loss was 1-2% (good considering there was no exercise added).  Unfortunately, I did not adapt the maintenance program and in the past year went back up to 233.  After several stop/start attempts I got my wife on board with supporting my healthy meal for dinner and I am now down to 198 with a goal of 185 (I'm 6'1").  My wife saw how well I was doing and started eating on the program with me and went from 133 to 114, with a goal of 110 (she's 5'2").

I was walking for 45 minutes/day @ ~400 calories, but haven't picked it up since getting back from vacation.  Body fat has dropped 5% already.  I see Larry is doing BJJ which is awesome for calorie burn - I would love to get back into my Muay Thai program w/BJJ, but having to manage our 2 little kids prevents any program like that at least until they get into regular school.  The exercise it optional, however.  On a good day, I can drop .5-1 lbs just from managing my diet; where we go wrong is failing to stick to it on weekends where we're out and about with the kids and its too easy to cheat.

Anyhow, just thought I would throw it out there for anyone struggling with weight loss.  I'd be glad to share more with anyone interested.
Doug
2017 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Rubicon
2014 Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Offline Ryanc

• Visitor
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:03 AM »
Impressive gravedgr, I started back doing something everyday.  I have about 30-40lbs to lose.

Offline gravedgr

• Visitor
« Reply #268 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
Impressive gravedgr, I started back doing something everyday.  I have about 30-40lbs to lose.
Thanks.  I forgot to mention the 35 lbs I have lost so far took about 2 months (not including the 1.5 weeks I took off being sick + vacation).

One other recommendation - if you have an iPhone, I would recommend the free app from www.myfitnesspal.com (not sure if they have an android app).  Once you are forced to record everything you put in your mouth, it becomes tougher to lie to yourself about how good (bad) your diet really is.  Most people really have no idea how many calories they consume in a day (I'm eating about 1000/day, lots of protein, plenty of energy).
Doug
2014 Tacoma TRD-Off Road

ranger11

« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:43 AM »
New guy here tossing out my own $.02.  :)

If anyone is looking to drop weight and has the discipline for an eating plan, let me know and I will give you more details on the program I got through my doctor.  1.5 years ago I was at 244 and a couch potato (office/sitting job) when I found out my doctor was running a weight loss program where they do a full body of tests, monitor you through the program, and then run the tests after.  They check things like BMR/RMR, fat and lean muscle %, and so forth.

The goal is to provide a way for fast weight loss, without sacrificing health and lean muscle.  I have always struggled with dieting due to frustration at not eating what I like and slow progress.  This was a 12 week program and I figured I could manage anything for 12 weeks if there was progress.

Well, in 12 weeks I dropped 40 lbs to weigh in @ 204.  Body fat % was down a lot, lean muscle loss was 1-2% (good considering there was no exercise added).  Unfortunately, I did not adapt the maintenance program and in the past year went back up to 233.  After several stop/start attempts I got my wife on board with supporting my healthy meal for dinner and I am now down to 198 with a goal of 185 (I'm 6'1").  My wife saw how well I was doing and started eating on the program with me and went from 133 to 114, with a goal of 110 (she's 5'2").

I was walking for 45 minutes/day @ ~400 calories, but haven't picked it up since getting back from vacation.  Body fat has dropped 5% already.  I see Larry is doing BJJ which is awesome for calorie burn - I would love to get back into my Muay Thai program w/BJJ, but having to manage our 2 little kids prevents any program like that at least until they get into regular school.  The exercise it optional, however.  On a good day, I can drop .5-1 lbs just from managing my diet; where we go wrong is failing to stick to it on weekends where we're out and about with the kids and its too easy to cheat.

Anyhow, just thought I would throw it out there for anyone struggling with weight loss.  I'd be glad to share more with anyone interested.

So whats the plan just count calories? I

ghostdancer308

« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2011, 10:56:41 AM »
...been preparing for the GORUCK...sucks!!

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
One other recommendation - if you have an iPhone, I would recommend the free app from www.myfitnesspal.com (not sure if they have an android app).  Once you are forced to record everything you put in your mouth, it becomes tougher to lie to yourself about how good (bad) your diet really is.  Most people really have no idea how many calories they consume in a day (I'm eating about 1000/day, lots of protein, plenty of energy).
I use the myfitnesspal too. They have it for the droid also. It helps greatly.

When my shoulder gets somewhat better I will be adding in some Muay Thai.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline gravedgr

• Visitor
« Reply #272 on: June 08, 2011, 05:28:13 PM »
So whats the plan just count calories?

No, its primarily a meal-replacement plan.  5 plus 1 "lean and green" meal with a lean meat (more/less depending on how lean), two green vegetables, and a fat serving.  Its a low glycemic index diet that focuses on 1) low calories; 2) plenty of protein for lean muscle support; 3) maintaining blood sugar levels.  There's no dairy, no useless carbs (ex. bread), etc.

It takes some testicular fortitude to stick with it, but if you DO NOT CHEAT, you will guaranteed lose weight.  One guy lost 60 lbs in 2 months, just on diet alone.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:35:25 PM by gravedgr »
Doug
2014 Tacoma TRD-Off Road

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #273 on: June 14, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
I am holding at 256-260. Lifting about 55% of the weight I was doing before I got hurt. That is double from last month. Being extra careful on the shoulder, it is far from well. Still hammering the BJJ and C25K. Had to up my potassium intake some because of cramps in my calves, shins and quads.

Going to tighten up my diet after 22nd. Going to the gulf coast on Friday and no reason to start now. {toast}
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

ghostdancer308

« Reply #274 on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:47 AM »
...still going. Still nursing my own injuries as well. Getting old! Not healing as fast! :bs)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #275 on: June 15, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
 :D story of our lives! I took last week off because of other duties and got back on it monday... wow, I felt like I had been run over. Today, I feel great and the 11 miles went by quick. Now if I could just get rid of my lower back pain, I would feel like a teenager again {boohoo}
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM