BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: GATR RIDE 07/14/2011 HARLAN KY - PHOTOS AND RECAP  (Read 18968 times)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
GATR RIDE 07/14/2011 HARLAN KY - PHOTOS AND RECAP
« on: July 16, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
I'll chime in with a first report, as I came back a day early because of engine issues.

No pics from me, but lots were taken.

The first adventure of the trip was getting up the steep gravel driveway to the cabins.  I made it up the first part of the hill but not the second, so I unloaded the Jeep and parked the trailer there.  Then we heard another truck spinning tires on the grave.  It was Randy.  His day had included two ruptured trailer tires, but that was minor compared to what happened next.  He decided to unload his Jeep,an unfortunate decision; when the rear of the rig left the trailed, the front's weight tilted the trailer back and raised the truck's rear.  Result was no brakes and truck/trailer/Jeep sliding briskly down the steep drive.  Randy jackknifed the Jeep to try to stop everything, and luckily the rear of the Jeep hit some trees keep it from sliding down 20 feet onto someone's house!  Fortunately no major damage occurred.

Thursday afternoon a group headed out to "scout".  Did PinBall climb to Rail Bed, then a tour along trail 12 to Lower Rock Garden.  No carnage.

Then almost everyone thought a 10:15pm night ride would be a good idea, but the trail choice was not ideal apparently (yours truly skipping this one), and the required winching caused a late return to camp at 2:00am.

Friday we got started around 10:30.  Drove up to Lions Den for a looksee, but everyone declined to try it.  The major run of the day was Mason jar after lunch, with everyone making it mostly unscathed.  Then we drove down to Upper Rock Garden, but another GA group had the trail blocked up, so we went back down to Lower Rock Garden for another go through.  Calvin met the group there, and on his first ride of the weekend punctured the rear diff cover.  A repair involving duct tape and RTV sufficed to get him back to camp.

I headed back to camp as my engine exhaust was asphyxiating thr group, but it appears Ben led another group up another steep trail that required turning around near the top.  Randy broke a DS u-bolt and rear trackbar mount (possibly damaged during the earlier slide?), but made it back to camp with Kevin's help with a tow strap.

Both evening at camp were great;  my thanks to everyone for sharing grills and chairs and conversation.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:20:28 AM by Doug »
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
Re: Black Mtn / Harlan Ky 7/14-7/17 PHOTOS AND RECAP
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
Me and Mike and the rest of the group are caravaning back as I type with four trailers and 5 jeeps on them plus Lawton brining up the rear.  It was one hell of a weekend.  Lots of great wheeling.  We decided to do Mason jar again late yesterday which is where Larry broke the mount for his hydro ram off.  I was about out of gas so Lawton and I hung with Larry while Richard Mike and Mark went back and got gas and a welder to fix Larry up.  We ended up getting off of Mason Jar around 10:30 last night.  Everyone was tired hungry and ready to tie a buzz on at the cabin.  The highlight of the day for me and a few of us that broke off in the smaller rigs group was catching up with the comp buggies we saw at the entrance in the morning.  A couple of the rigs had been in KOH and one had placed 9th in 2009 he said.  Jeremy, Kevin, Lawton, Randy, and I caught up with the bugies at the bottom of "Upper Damnation" and man did they put on a show for us!  I'll post the video I took of one of the buggies rolling half way back down Upper Damnation!  Incredible! I'll post a few teaser pics now if I can get them to upload on 3g and then I'll post the rest up later.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:36:28 PM by Metro »
Seth
07 Rubicon Unlimited on 37s

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
Here's a few. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Seth

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
Those uploaded pretty quickly with 3G so here are a few more.

Seth

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
And some more!

Seth

Offline Logan

• Visitor
  • Hit it like you mean it
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:48:19 PM »
I see you ran into two of Doc Nazir's buggies... Did he have the blower buggy there?
93 F-250 tow pig

Offline Metro

• Visitor
  • Back up and bump it!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
I sure wish I had gotten a picture of Moonshine man!  Post up if you got one Will!

Seth

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 05:40:25 PM »
Great times. 

Thanks again to the rescue crew, Mike/Mark/Richard for coming back with the generator/welder so we could fix my tj and get it wheelin again.

I did by the 1 year permit and plan on going back up at least once more before I have to buy another one.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

ranger11

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
This is one of the best rides I have been on. Lots of stories. But overall the yj done good just one frozen caliper coming off of the mountain and the elec fan holder caused the radiator to leak. Oh yeah and 2 things will be different before the yj hits the trail again power steering and fuel injection. Had a great time thanks guys.

Logan those buggies were with Adam Woodlee and Adam is who rolled down the hill and he was in the blower buggy. Several other pirate and hardline famous people/buggies were with him.

BigJerm

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
Pretty awesome ride! Just sat down after doing everything I needed to do for the night. Painted all the parts that I managed to mangle. Damage is minimal, just lots of scrapes, 1 bent up stock trans skid, slight bend in a rear control arm but I think I can straighten it no problem and mangled the stock rear bumper. Sure glad I put on the oil pan skid plate before the ride because I beat it up and now its sitting next the exhaust so it makes a nice rattle on crank up/shut off. Slight buckle in the sheet metal right behind the door but I can still close my door.

Big thanks to Ben for leading 95% of the ride, spotting, and keeping things moving. Seth thanks for jumping on the ball to get the ride going. Richard, Will, Jimmy, Ben, Mark, Mike and whoever I missed thanks for always willing to work on peoples rigs and get them back on the trail or back to the trailer.  {toast}

Got to say, it might be a while before I want to do a night ride again. Imagine 93b when its all torn up mixed with some school bus and have a natural spring keeping everything wet the whole way up... and do that at night. Thanks to all those who helped with winch cables.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 09:26:28 PM »
Too tired to type the book I could write about this trip right now. I will get pics and vids up tomorrow and type a summary of the weekend. I can say this... It was the trip of the year! It was definitely a trip to remember for me and hopefully for those who came. Thanks to everyone for helping with spotting, strapping, stacking and all else that happened! {toast}
I've grown tired of this.

ranger11

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »

Sorry I couldnt get there fast enough.

Nasty ledge

Link to all
http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/rcoker195/Harlan%20Ky%202011/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:07:38 AM by Doug »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK