BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: WANTED! Jeep WJ  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Ben H.

• Visitor
Re: WANTED! Jeep WJ
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:20:06 PM »
News to me... I thought the 4.0 was a legend and a 4.7 was JUNK. Ive seen lots of 4.7s with around 100k miles and just completely FUBAR. Cost an arm and leg for a replacement too. Plus dont all the 4.7 limiteds have that piece of crap T case?  {ehm}

Negatory. Maybe in other applications, but I don't think I've heard anyone ever really bad mouth the 4.7's in WJ's. Also, the V8 came with two transfer cases, the 242 and the 247. Neither one have that many negatives.

A lot of that negativity came from the 249, which came behind the V8's in the ZJ's.
1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8

Offline Do Work 93 YJ

• Visitor
  • Ready To Ride
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »
Only thing I can say about the V8 is hope you don't blow an engine. For some reason they built 2 different versions of the engine and one of them is like trying to find gold and I mean by all the searching and price. Got a 03 model that's been sitting for 2 years with a blown engine.

Sent from my iPhone using my right hand.
Do Work Aka Moon Man. What you lack in technique make up in throttle! Or a set of cheater tires.

My Build Threads
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=3683.msg62464#msg62464

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=6862.0

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:53:49 PM »
yeah, the V8 in these things are beef- but like micheal said and Richards knows too- the engines are very costly to replace- just dont over heat it- but the power is there and the torqe is too- the trany these things are running and have a gear split it 02' i think from 4 speed to 5 with the 4 speed tranys just needing to be reflashed to obtain the 5th gear- crazy how jeep hides options. they are much stronger that the tranys int he rubi- RE45- handles a ton of torqe - the tcase is optional at the 242 quadra-trac and the 247 quadra-drive, both good but each are load with diffrent packages. the only thing i found to be bad with these are when i picked up a OR241 case with plans to swap it in the WJ only to find out the output shaft on the RE45s are really short and for people of swap in the NP231 cases in have to tare into the cases and swap input shafts btween each other, and with the OR241 have a complete shaft /unswapable, i throw it in the trash. but tons of options on the other cases  and Advanced Adaptors makes extended input shafts for the D300 and NP231 -

Richard

Re: Re: WANTED! Jeep WJ
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »
My v8 has 170000 miles. The engine is so expensive we bought a whole jeep to get the engine out of for my brother in laws jeep.  Now I have a which that will be an awesome trail rig when done.

The v8 is pretty awesome to be a 4.7 the fulltime case does have a bad rap for the front d/s not locking (it's an on command system)  sometimes but in 4 lo its like any other case. They should have put these v8s in the jk.

Richard

Re: Re: Re: Re: WANTED! Jeep WJ
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »
My v8 has 170000 miles. The engine is so expensive we bought a whole jeep to get the engine out of for my brother in laws jeep.  Now I have a wj that will be an awesome trail rig when done.

The v8 is pretty awesome to be a 4.7 the fulltime case does have a bad rap for the front d/s not locking (it's an on command system)  sometimes but in 4 lo its like any other case. They should have put these v8s in the jk.

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:25 PM »
yeah to on command thing throw me off way i jacked up the rear- tried rolling away on me- so that sucks-- {hihi}

MMjeep

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Yep meant I6. The 2 different versions are the 4.7 and the 4.7HO which is prolly the harder one to find since it only came in a very few years and trim models. The 02 and newer WJ have better brake systems as well,but the older versions can be upgraded easily youll just have to buy new calipers. Either way the WJ is a nice overall package. When i had mine on 35s i sure wish i had that 4.7 though prolly would've kept it.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM