BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Drive to Alaska...questions!  (Read 730 times)

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
Re: Drive to Alaska...questions!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
Let me get this straight!..
You want me to sit on a two wheel bike exposed to all the elements, ride all day and possibly lay my 63 year old 334lb. fat arse on the ground in who knows what conditions along with placing my wonderful wife..aka..(caretaker) along side me for a 9 to 10,000 mile trip???... :bs)

Just askin!

Or..I could haul a camper and ride in a climate controlled vehicle UNEXPOSED to the elements and sleep like a baby in a real bed, cook food INSIDE and eat INSIDE?

Now, since I'm old enough to be your dad, though I know I could never live up to his standards just so ya know, I may take that trip in my 40s...maybe 50s......!

I like MY idea though it is a thought!... {letseat}
The road to prosperity should not be be paved with
 those who are in your way but by the helping of those along the way.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »
I'll take plan B!   {toast}

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
I'll take plan B!   {toast}
LOL...I don't think that there are too many that would argue either Doug!

HOWEVER!..I have taken trips to the Grand Canyon and all over Colorado but that was about 35 years ago...

I do love motorcycles and would take a trip but there would have to be a group and an itinerary of, take your time and plan ahead...
The best plan would be to haul the bile to a central location and figure destinations of interest within a given parameter, ride as much as you want to site see..whatever then pack the bike on the truck and go to a different part of the country...best of both worlds!

FishWagon

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
Lol, I'm a biker through and through....only thing that keeps me from riding is ice/snow

Besides that, I'm there!!

All weather riding gear, with some Gerbings heating underneath, heated grips, and show me the direction you want to go!!

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »
Within reason...!
I am an avid open top rider...bikes are great but conditional...open top sports car, Jeep and such just grant a choice of heat, a/c..windshield wipers, defrosters and don't rely on being under a bridge of which I spent many hours!
My Grand Canyon trip was a great one other than a sand storm, torrential rain and the elemental variance of Phoenix at one level and the Grand Canyon at another.......
4 wheels on ground vs. 2.........????......... {boohoo} 

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
That sounds like a great trip. 
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
I think so...we either want to start and go south and cross America hitting the scenic areas diagonal and end up in Alaska or if Jenn gets bored I guess we'll just see as much of the US as she wants and then go north.

AS a former truck driver I covered all 48 states several times and have vacationed it as well but Jenn has not so reliving it with her is a treat for me.

I figured to leave in April and end in Oklahoma for my daughters wedding in June then through Wyoming, Idaho and decide where to enter Canada where it's best at the time.
I will try and stay within the state that the reciprocity of my concealed permit allowed and send my hand gun home and keep only a rifle into Canada.
If all goes as planned and I know we make plans and God laughs, we should be heading home in September... 

Offline US.TROOPER

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
Drove from North Carolina to Anchorage took the alkan highway all the way, toook 12 days in a ford ranger. That was back in 92 it was a fun trip only issue was when my carb froze over due to water in the fuel, put a can of heet in it and was going again. Went up through Canada through White Horse, very cool trip dont think i would do it again though LOL...long drive...

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »
Yeah..not for the person who likes to remain in one spot a lot but 45 years as a truck driver..on and off but for the most part I got used to it..

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM