BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: St Patty's Day Poker Run Durhamtown  (Read 3743 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: St Patty's Day Poker Run Durhamtown
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
Thanks for trying Mike.  I understand the investment, but I wish Big Mike would have spent it differently than he did. 

I still believe that the number 1 thing he can do is put rocks in the ravines and hill climbs, simulating natural creek beds. 

Different sizes in different ravines for different rigs, or if there are tun outs, the further you go, the bigger and harder it gets.  Steve at River Rock did an excellent job with this.  On slopes, you need rocks big enough that they don't move easily.  I don't think anyone likes crawlin on pipes much.

Nothing would make us happier than for Durhamtown to be THE SPOT!  We would not be looking to drive so far to these other places, we would all have passes, and be there frequently.  it's only a few hours away form us on the NE side of town.  We can use Durhamtown as a riding and camping spot, but if there isn't something there that challenges us and gets us excited, we will go other places, and that thing would be rocks in ravines. 

Harlan has it like this along a road and it doesn't have to be this wide or have this much rock:

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »
Guess you guys all suggested the ravine thing while I was huntin the photo lol.

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »
and like I have said in the past... the ground around durhamtown is different then RR or Harlan... there is alot of rock there but it is covered by tons of dirt.. moving the dirt can be done but when do we say yep we have spent enough.. 50k? 100k? just how long would it take for DP to recover that much money, at 20$ a driver... that comes out to alot of drivers... right now at 25k in it will take a long time to recoup it.. as far as the building of the O-Course that was done cause we had to do a made man trail.. and to bring in rock like the one you show in your pic would cost 80k$ a truck load, and that looks to be about 10-15 truck loads right there.. rock isnt cheap and truck drivers arent either...

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
Re: Re: St Patty's Day Poker Run Durhamtown
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 07:48:20 AM »
I just keep imagining cougar canyon ending up like lower 2at tellico, if anyone remembers that.
People drove from all over the east coast to hit it.
Either way, we are riding here next month, so let's try and get as many rigs a possible to support these guys!

TAPATALK
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
This guy is $800 a load, or $50 a ton.  We just need to go and play on this guys pile..

Now just need to find some a little closer...

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mat/2766285433.html

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
Another thing to consider here is the cost to ride. I think $20 is alot for DT. Just my 2 cents here but I have paid less for more. I am not bashing anything at DT but for $20 a day, there needs to be something worth the trip. Slippery nipple is awesome but not enough to keep us all coming back. It is getting better and if we need to come down and scout some areas and help, we would surely do it. I still need to get down and map the new park out on gps. But I would love to be able to just ride around and scout some good areas. Last time I was there, I saw an old water run off that was in the new section that had a ton of potential to be a ravine climb. It would take a few small trees being cut but would offer a good flexy ravine trail. Over time, the rock would come thru as well. Let us know if we could do a "work weekend" sometime. I think we could get quite a few guys there to help out. Free camping for the weekend or something for helping? </BEER/>
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »
I'm in  </ROCKIN/>
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 11:41:29 AM »
Ben i know where you are talking and that is the trail that I will be cutting this weekend... i will look into the CL and see if this guy is legit and how much it will cost to have him bring it all the way to Union Point.. that is where most of the cost comes in.. the rock isnt the problem get a driver that will do it on the cheap... I have looked at other park prices and some are more then us most are the same unless owned by the Goverment.. but most of the private parks charge the same...

Rant ON:
 trying to please everyone is something very hard to do... someone could go broke doing that.. while some hate DP cause we dont have rocks and some hate us cause we are trying to get more rocks, i have tried to take all your ideas and put them in place without breakin the bank.. it has to be a give and take and not a take take take... over the past 3 years DP has came a long ways .. is there room for more...YES... but as with the bike and atv side it wasnt all built in a day... if the 4x4 side would have half the users the bike and atv side has this 4x4 park would be the only park you would want to go to.. with that being said... everyone here knows people with a jeep or truck some mod some stock.. tell them about us tell them it would be a great place to start at.. and you would be amazed how fast the park would grow..
bolder ridge is going to be burnt sometime.. if mother nature would stop raining on us.. LOL... but over time it will get better... just do me a favor... and when someone ask about DP dont tell them its a waste of time.. cause it might be to you but to them it might be a time of their life.. it has happened on this site before.. so i am asking that you dont do that... if someone asked me about Allsouth or anywhere else I would be more then happy to recommend them to a fellow GATR.. I guess that is what I am asking from you.
Done with my rant
Rant OFF

Mike

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »
Absolutly. I send folks that way all the time.
We support DT.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Mike, we all support DT. I have told guys it offers alot for everyone. It has gotten a ton better over the years, you guys have done well. If you can talk to Mike about a work detail weekend, please do. Would love to help out and make DT a "GATR" sponsored park. With enough guys on the ground and ideas for trails, we could accomplish alot. I have a chainsaw ready //CHAINSAW//
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 03:10:17 PM »
I don't know of anyone who has said anything bad about D-town, I actually had a blast last time we were out there!!
We are only giving ideas to make it better. We are also more than willing to put in the man time to accomplish this.
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 06:17:53 AM »
since this thread has been hijacked... LOL...

i was talking about the old thread on here and some of the older guys here know what one i was talking about.. i think when i was a semi-mod i deleted it or moved it to mod only cant remember..

thanks for sending people our way.. and yes i will talk to mike about a work weekend.. all i can do is ask right..

now about the St Pattys Poker Run whos coming..?? {btt}

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM