BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Help Planning Multi-Day Expedition near Atlanta, Georgia  (Read 2684 times)

Offline MCSJK2008

• Visitor
Help Planning Multi-Day Expedition near Atlanta, Georgia
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:12:49 PM »
I recently watched the show, "One Car Too Far", and it made a friend and I want to take our Jeeps (both are 2008 4-door JK's) on a 3-4 day wheeling trip and film it to make as a school project. Our biggest problem is that we live in Atlanta, Georgia, and we do not have a Moab desert or anything big and open and public like that to go to. We would like to have a mixture of different elements, to make for a well rounded trip, i.e. not just all mudding or all rock crawling. So, these are our big questions:

Are there any places anyone knows of within about 2-3 hours of Atlanta that are the kind of thing we are looking for-- big enough for 3-4 days of wheeling without having to come out, lots of different obstacles, allow overnighters or is public land?

What all would we need in terms of Jeep supplies? We are both running 2" kits with 33" all-terrains, both have a winch and steel bumpers (front and back with d-rings), we know to have extra gas, and our plans are to have snorkels on both (but for the sake of argument, lets assume we don't), what else would we need?

Is this a realistic idea? Planning a 3-4 day trip with only 2 jeeps and more than enough, but limited supplies nonetheless, as well as attempting to film it?

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Help Planning Multi-Day Expedition near Atlanta, Georgia
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 08:37:47 PM »
Welcome.  Easily done, although you'll never be too far from civilization.  Paved roads in betwen cool adventures.

Offline MCSJK2008

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »
What would you suggest in terms of locations? I am not opposed to some cool backcountry-ish roads... Just would prefer to not have to go through towns and tons of highways/ bigger roads

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
Well to start, if you're not pressed for time, there is "Sheriffs Jeep Fest" coming up next month. Google it. It's just north in Jasper. That would be a good place to start I think. There you can talk face to face with Jeepers from all over the place and get ideas for where to go for future tripps as well as film. The event is 3 days long 14-16 Sep. But you obviously don't have to stay the entire time.
For gear, there is a collum on the forum which you can check out as far as recommendations for haht to bring with you while taking on such an excursion.
Either way, sounds like a lot of fun! I wish you and your buddy the best of luck
 {cheers2}
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:01:04 PM »
Harlan is DEFINATELY a place I would recommend as well. It is however about a 6 hour drive from Atlanta, but WELL worth the trip IMO. Out there you could spend days upon days wheeln, in just about every sort of terrain you can think of. I pormise by the time you get done, you will be more then ready to get back to the house because you'll be so warn out.  </ROCKIN/>
I will tell you that there are a number of spots out there that really require a decent bit of "build" to your rig, or atleast have very a compitent  and cinfident driver behind the wheel who knows how to pick lines and what not.  Not saying there are not easier trails out there, but well, you get the idea. If you DO plan to go out there. Make sure you get a map at the trail head office where you get your park pass at.
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

BigJerm

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
Hmm.. you will always be on a road. There is no just open area to drive your jeep making your own road as you go. And sadly, you will run across civilization a lot. Harlan is a large(r) place. Coal Creek, TN is another large offroad park with miles of trails.

Lets see... things to have. Food and water for the length of stay plus some. Even if you want to be a "survivalist" bring water, shelter, food so you dont become a rescue situation. I have yet to be on a legal road with a water crossing that I needed a snorkel for but you never know. All Terrains have standard sidewalls so a patch kit, a way to air up, a full size good spare tire. A tool kit would be a good idea too along with tow straps, tree saves, snatch block, d-rings, ect... But without the know how to wheel, to patch a tire, to fix broken parts, to properly rig up the winch line (and proper winching) 3-4 days with obstacles could be hell. Best of luck to you!

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:17:39 PM »
Take someone with some good offroad experience, not sure your background but there are a lot of situations that can be worsened by lack of experience or know how.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
If your not in a huge hurry go to JeepFest, this will give you the chance to get some good interviews and "filler time" for your video & then go to Gulches with us in October, you will get some intense footage on that trip for sure!

If you need to get this filmed asap, I would recommend Coal Creek "windrock". You can wheel for days out there and never see the same trail + there is awesome back drop for you video!
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline MCSJK2008

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:30 PM »
@BigJerm How much gas do you think we would need for two half days and one full day (2 nights) on the trail? We will fill up at the trailhead and have 2 jeeps… How much extra fuel canisters should we bring?

@PHANTOM Could you send me some more info on the Gulches trip… sounds interesting. Coal Creek isn't a bad idea either, I'll add that one to the list as well ;) Still haven't decided on a location but right now we are leaning toward Harlan, Kentucky. It is about six hours away and for a 2-3 day trip, it should be plenty of trails, right?

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
We have a map on here somewhere in the link I pasted earlier.  Lots to see and do.

Like moonshine?

Offline MCSJK2008

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »
Moonshine as in the drink...?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM