BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 157426 times)

Offline Chris36l

• Visitor
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #3456 on: August 13, 2018, 01:16:44 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on the jl Rubicon 4dr?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We love ours. In my opinion, the biggest upgrade over the JK is the 8-speed ZF transmission. Ours has the 3.6L Pentastar motor like the later model JKs but this new transmission makes it feel like a completely different vehicle. It’s actually got some spunk and is fun to drive. One other benefit that the transmission provides is no need to regear if you up your tire size. Most of the JK owners on here will tell you that they had considerable loss of power when moving tire size to 35s and definitely 37s and needed to regear to make it bearable on the road. Mine is still on the stock 33s so I can’t speak personally but have seen many reports that guys running 37s are very happy and say that although they rarely see 8th gear anymore, they dont notice anything different in the road habits. These have all been Rubicons with the stock 4.10 axle gearing.

Some other items to note:
Magnesium rear swing gate: supposedly stronger.
Aluminum doors are lighter.
Rubicon’s have different which essentially end up being 2” higher than that of the Sport and Sahara models. THE Rubicon fenders are inline with the hood and the Sahara/Sports have 2” of metal fender between the hood and the flare.
Rubicons can run 35” tires stock, no lift, and can put a 35” spare on the tailgate with no mods. 
Can run 37s with 2” -2.5” lift. Can put a 37” on the stock tailgate with a relocation bracket to move the tire up so that it clears the rear bumper.
Rubicons also have 2-piece fender flares where you can remove the bottom portion for a little more clearance. This is what a lot of guys are doing with 2.5” of lift and fitting 38s or 40s. It appears that this was Jeeps shoutout to the JK fender hack mod. This appears to be a little cleaner than some of the JK Dremel work that I’ve seen.

NO CD PLAYER. lol

The UConnect 4C with the 8.4” screen is actually pretty sweet once you get to know the system. I can pull up live weather/radar and forecasts directly from UConnect and not even using my phone.
Apple Carplay works pretty well. There’s videos out there that will teach you how to get all the apps from your phone to appear on the screen instead of only the Apple or Google-approved ones. So if you prefer Waze to the Uconnect/GPS maps, you can get those on there.

The stock Rubicon axles have a few upgrades over the JK version. The “next generation 44s” on the Rubicons are noted as Dana M210 (Front) and Dana M210 (rear). They have thicker tubes, beef’d up steering linkage, re-worked gearing which results in the teeth of the pinion gears being shorter and stronger, and the axles are 2.5” wider than the JK 44s.

Axle Widths:
JLR = 68”
JLS/S = 66.5”
JKS/S/R = 65.5”
Fantastic write up. The needle has moved slightly closer to a JLR now.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3457 on: August 13, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »
LOL. I can tell you from experience: don’t go drive one if you don’t wanna buy one.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3458 on: August 13, 2018, 03:40:49 PM »
We love ours.

Super nice Will!    Great features and awesome to see Amber rockin it.

Chris, I'm still in sticker shock phase. $41k base isnb't too bad but I want all the luxury lol [readme]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:43:42 PM by DOUG »

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3459 on: August 13, 2018, 04:01:29 PM »
Let me just say that if you get serious about buying one, I researched for about 6 months before pulling the trigger and I found 6% below invoice is best price that I’ve seen. It ended up being 11% off of MSRP.
So if that 51,000 price tag was cut down to $45,000.... would you feel better?
Also, the destination charge from Jeep has gone up by $500 twice since January. So a 2018 JL is now $1,000 more than it was 6 months ago. Not to mention that the base price will likely get a hike for some unknown amount with the 2019 model year. So tell your wives that you’re saving money by buying one now and just go get it.
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 04:02:42 PM by Will »
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3460 on: August 13, 2018, 04:15:43 PM »
We love ours.

Chris, I'm still in sticker shock phase. $41k base isnb't too bad but I want all the luxury lol [readme]

I’m about to save you 3,400 bucks:
Don’t get the:
1.) Steel Bumpers (front one is nice and well designed. The recessed winch mount is cool. But the rear bumper is not very impressive. Save the $1300 and put it towards a nice pair of front/rear after market bumpers.
2.) body-colored fenders: $400 - you’re gonna scratch em. Gross.
3.) Body-colored hard top. If you just go black, you get a thousand bucks back.
4.) Optional Wheels: If you’re not going to keep ‘em, why upgrade? you can sell the stock Rubi wheels and tires for $1200 to $1500 to sport/Sahara owners that are looking for them and they also fit JKs. You can then put that towards beadlocks and 40s.
5.) did i see the premium soft top on there? I’m kicking myself for not getting a softop. I let my salesman talk me into LEDs and steel bumpers and talk me out of the dual top group. I regret that. The new soft top is sweet. No zippers and the safari feature on the rear is just cool lookin’.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #3461 on: August 13, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
Going to a JL really depends on where you are with your current rig and the end game you're heading towards.

For me, the there is the enough new about the JL that would benefit me offroad. I'm better off moving forward with my JK.  That would include dropping in an LS.

If I just wanted a driver for the road with some bigger tires, or just starting a new build, hell yeah, I'd go for the JL.  I think the aftermarket is still 2 years away from a full selection of high end mods. 

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3462 on: August 13, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
We love ours.

Don’t get the:
1.) Steel Bumpers (front one is nice and well designed. The recessed winch mount is cool. But the rear bumper is not very impressive. Save the $1300 and put it towards a nice pair of front/rear after market bumpers.
4.) Optional Wheels: If you’re not going to keep ‘em, why upgrade? you can sell the stock Rubi wheels and tires for $1200 to $1500 to sport/Sahara owners that are looking for them and they also fit JKs. You can then put that towards beadlocks and 40s.
5.) did i see the premium soft top on there? I’m kicking myself for not getting a softop. I let my salesman talk me into LEDs and steel bumpers and talk me out of the dual top group. I regret that. The new soft top is sweet. No zippers and the safari feature on the rear is just cool lookin’.

No way I'm wheeling a new JL Rubi!   lmao

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3463 on: August 13, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »
We love ours.

Don’t get the:

you don't even wheel your jk rubi.

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3464 on: August 13, 2018, 05:04:31 PM »
We love ours.

Don’t get the:

Hahahahahaah

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3465 on: August 13, 2018, 06:03:12 PM »
We love ours.

Don’t get the:

Does anybody really wheel there JK?

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3466 on: August 13, 2018, 06:07:39 PM »
We love ours.

Don’t get the:

Classic lj guy comment

Offline BigPrince

• Visitor
« Reply #3467 on: August 13, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »
We love ours.

Don’t get the:

Classic lj guy comment

I heard the answer was no in Colorado?

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM