BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Morning Coffee  (Read 157036 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Morning Coffee
« Reply #3444 on: August 12, 2018, 08:30:05 PM »
What's everyone's opinion on the jl Rubicon 4dr?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'd get one, if I had the room and money for another vehicle.  But I might consider the SRT Durango first, for a few more bucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3445 on: August 12, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »

I'd get one, if I had the room and money for another vehicle.  But I might consider the SRT Durango first, for a few more bucks.

Run 37" on 2.5" of lift is sweet. Accutune is almost done with a bolt in coilovers option, no mod necessary. There is an option for frame mods that gets even more travel from them. So far they have spec'd their own coils and valved fox shocks to match.

Think about a punkn 4 door rubi.

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3446 on: August 12, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »

Run 37" on 2.5" of lift is sweet. Accutune is almost done with a bolt in coilovers option, no mod necessary. There is an option for frame mods that gets even more travel from them. So far they have spec'd their own coils and valved fox shocks to match.

Yeah, they're awesome from what I've seen.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3447 on: August 12, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »

We have a 4 door sport on a 2.5” Lift and 35s. It’s great for my wife and really comfortable. It’ll probably never go offroad though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3448 on: August 12, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »

We have a 4 door sport on a 2.5” Lift and 35s. It’s great for my wife and really comfortable. It’ll probably never go offroad though

Got pics? 35" without a lift if you want that, right? Does the rubi allow for bigger tires vs any other model?

Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3449 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:53 PM »

Got pics? 35" without a lift if you want that, right? Does the rubi allow for bigger tires vs any other model?

My understanding is that the JL Rubi has bigger fenders and can do 35” with no lift.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3450 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »

I think the inner panel is removable, so you only have to add something from Artec or metal cloak to hold the lights.  That may be possible on all models.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3451 on: August 12, 2018, 10:31:20 PM »

The rubi allows for a 2” bigger tire vs the sport.

Offline j3ff3ry_j33p

• Visitor
« Reply #3452 on: August 13, 2018, 07:53:26 AM »
It was a pretty good turnout overall.

The most interesting part of the day was this recovery.  This guy in the XJ decided to crawl the cars and got stuck. One of the off-road mafia guys in his “beast” on 54”s tried pushing him off from the front with his front end.  The guy in the XJ ended up having his driver side entire knuckle come off. The bottom and top ball joints came out of the knuckle and he snapped his front axle at the ujoint on that side.  The only way to get him off the car was for them to call this crane wrecker (which was an awesome rig).  Entertaining.

Recovery video.

/>

That little,blue flatfender CJ 2(?) in your image is killin me!
It has hit me really hard in the past 3-4 months that I really would like to have a post war (‘48-‘60) Jeep . That one is perfect. They aren’t as affordable sourced as once they were. Looks like a good turnout.
Jeffery
ºlllllllº '11 JKUs
▀lllllll▀ '95 XJ

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3453 on: August 13, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »

The rubi allows for a 2” bigger tire vs the sport.

Pretty sure I've seen 40's on 2.5 but not sure how the turning clearance could be good without some better offset and spacers.

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #3454 on: August 13, 2018, 11:42:51 AM »

We love ours. In my opinion, the biggest upgrade over the JK is the 8-speed ZF transmission. Ours has the 3.6L Pentastar motor like the later model JKs but this new transmission makes it feel like a completely different vehicle. It’s actually got some spunk and is fun to drive. One other benefit that the transmission provides is no need to regear if you up your tire size. Most of the JK owners on here will tell you that they had considerable loss of power when moving tire size to 35s and definitely 37s and needed to regear to make it bearable on the road. Mine is still on the stock 33s so I can’t speak personally but have seen many reports that guys running 37s are very happy and say that although they rarely see 8th gear anymore, they dont notice anything different in the road habits. These have all been Rubicons with the stock 4.10 axle gearing.

Some other items to note:
Magnesium rear swing gate: supposedly stronger.
Aluminum doors are lighter.
Rubicon’s have different which essentially end up being 2” higher than that of the Sport and Sahara models. THE Rubicon fenders are inline with the hood and the Sahara/Sports have 2” of metal fender between the hood and the flare.
Rubicons can run 35” tires stock, no lift, and can put a 35” spare on the tailgate with no mods. 
Can run 37s with 2” -2.5” lift. Can put a 37” on the stock tailgate with a relocation bracket to move the tire up so that it clears the rear bumper.
Rubicons also have 2-piece fender flares where you can remove the bottom portion for a little more clearance. This is what a lot of guys are doing with 2.5” of lift and fitting 38s or 40s. It appears that this was Jeeps shoutout to the JK fender hack mod. This appears to be a little cleaner than some of the JK Dremel work that I’ve seen.

NO CD PLAYER. 😳 lol

The UConnect 4C with the 8.4” screen is actually pretty sweet once you get to know the system. I can pull up live weather/radar and forecasts directly from UConnect and not even using my phone.
Apple Carplay works pretty well. There’s videos out there that will teach you how to get all the apps from your phone to appear on the screen instead of only the Apple or Google-approved ones. So if you prefer Waze to the Uconnect/GPS maps, you can get those on there.

The stock Rubicon axles have a few upgrades over the JK version. The “next generation 44s” on the Rubicons are noted as Dana M210 (Front) and Dana M210 (rear). They have thicker tubes, beef’d up steering linkage, re-worked gearing which results in the teeth of the pinion gears being shorter and stronger, and the axles are 2.5” wider than the JK 44s.

Axle Widths:
JLR = 68”
JLS/S = 66.5”
JKS/S/R = 65.5”

Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #3455 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
I like the JL and they definitely had the enthusiast on mind or finally realized so many people mod Jeeps.  I've run 37s on my JK with 2.5" lift for a year but have MC Overline fenders. Just went to 3.5 to get the undercarriage up a bit more. I have more travel than I can use.

I'll bet that 8 speed trans is sweet. The only thing I don't like about the JL are the ugly front fenders. I hope the aftermarket comes through with something cool.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM