BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Running a Diesel on WVO wast veggie oil  (Read 6634 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2014, 10:31:17 PM »
Awesome info and prep.  Trip of a lifetime x2.

Taking extra trailer parts? Hub and bearing set? Complete axle?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
Re: Running a Diesel on WVO wast veggie oil
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »
The plan is to leave on the 1st of Jun. I haven't heard back from Discovery channel yet. Jon has one more week of work. Then he needs a couple days to get ready. Matt will not be going with us. He decided it would be better if he stayed home this summer and worked. I don't blame him there's no guarantee we will find gold just that we will try.

I don't have any spare parts for the trailer this time. I will pump grease in the barring buddy's every time we stop. If I have to repair anything on the road and don't have the parts I will unload the jeep and go find it. I'm trying to cut as much weight down as I can. We were over 41,000LBS the last time we went. I'll only get around 4MPG at first when we leave but will lose 7.5LBS every 4miles as we go further and then the MPG will get up to around 10 or 11 MPG so I will average around 7MPG over the 4300miles. I have a extra 80gallons of WVO with me this time. I put WVO in the two 40 gallon tanks on the back of the bus I use to hold gas when we get there for the dredge and generator. I will make supply runs every 2 week for food and gas. We also down sized the frig. We don't really need it when we get there. We can dig a hole in the permafrost for a icebox.
Mike

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »
A properly packed trailer bearing is good for 10,000 miles plus.

Don't squeeze grease in at every stop unless you have a bad seal and are leaking grease.

Bearing buddy's only grease the outer bearing, and

The grease will push past the seal and get on the brakes.  I've purchased 2 trailers that had the brake drums full of grease.

Track your trip on a smart phone and post up.  MyTracks or EveryTrail

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:08 PM »
OK so things have slowed down some for me this week. We have everything packed on the bus that we are going to take with us. If I don't have it I will just have to get it when we get there. We had a hard time finding insurance for the bus this time. It seems the Insurance Company's don't want to insurance converted school bus's anymore. So I had to jump though their hoops and have the bus inspected. Explain everything about how the WVO runs the motor and how the WVO tanks where made and installed in the bus. Good thing I had a lot of pictures. How the fuel lines are run and safe from fire. The inspector said I did a very good job and that he was impressed with my engineering!  //SLAMIN//  He asked where I went to school to learn how to do this and I told him it was Google. //LMAO// He laughed and said no really? I told him everything I needed to know about running WVO came from researching the web. The fab work of making the tanks and hanging them just came from being a fabricator all these years. So it's insured and registered. Now it's just a mater of waiting for Jon to get what he needs to do before he can leave. Today is his last day of work and with the long weekend it looks like we will still be leaving on the 1st.   //SLAMIN//

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:26:31 PM by mrmike1964 »
Mike

Offline PopTop

• Visitor
  • PopTop
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »
Hats off Mike! This is an incredible undertaking worthy of its own reality show.... keep us posted //SLAMIN// //popcorn//
Kevin

"Wonder what this button does?"

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »
Let me just say I was scared! I had been working on getting insurance for the last 3 weeks. I didn't think I was going to find any. Then when they said it would have to be inspected I thought for sure I wouldn't get it and I just spent all this time and money for a yard dart! I was very happy when the inspector said I did a good job and he would pass it for me! I didn't have to go though this the fist time I went to Alaska in 2011. So today Jon and I will paint the drivers side of the bus where we striped the paint off with the pressure washer trying to get the old WVO  off that oozed all over it.    

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 12:57:12 PM by mrmike1964 »
Mike

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
Ok that's done. We painted what needed to be. Just don't look to close  //LMAO//  We used Christmas paper to tape off the widows. We had a roll left over.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:16:35 PM by mrmike1964 »
Mike

Online Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
I like it. Looks "custom". 

Offline CaneJeep

• Visitor
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2014, 03:13:42 PM »
Great stuff
I look forward to your posts
Jorge

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
This waiting is killing me!!! Jon is going to get what he needs done tomorrow and we will leave around 6pm. I would rather drive at night anyway.    //SLAMIN//

Mike

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2014, 09:40:59 PM »
So get Jon signed up on here too and please give us a daily update.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »
This waiting is killing me!!! Jon is going to get what he needs done tomorrow and we will leave around 6pm. I would rather drive at night anyway.    //SLAMIN//

Awesome!  A head start on the adventure.  God speed and best wishes. 
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM