BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gulches GATRFest Carnage Report  (Read 8838 times)

Offline Uncle Randy

• Visitor
  • Cherish every minute
Gulches GATRFest Carnage Report
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:17:54 AM »
I have not seen a carnage report thread. I think maybe it's in several threads. But I will start.
At the end of the night ride with Skip, after taking my TJ out of 4-wheel to make a turn, it would not go back in 4-wheel nor did I have 2-wheel drive. Wes was in front of me and jumped out to take a look. He discovered the 4 wheel shifter linkage pin (?) underneath had dislodged and a plate on the inside had come off. He took the remaining plate off the out side, moved the pin up and replaced the plate with the pin in the plate hole. Then he was able to get the shifter to work in 4 high. That enabled me to get back to my trailer; and home.
Unfortunately there is also a pretty heavy leak of something that needs to be figured out. Oh well-If I wheel it, it usually breaks. Seems like I have only wheeled once or twice without breaking. It is a 97, so some of it is probably due to wear.
Huge thanks to Wes for getting me on the road. The help that people give others in this club is amazing to me. I'm still learning, but not anywhere near being a mechanic.-Randy
Randy
'06TJ
Treekiller

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
Re: Gulches GATRFest Carnage Report
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:15:38 AM »
Got to the park at 10:30am Friday.
Set up camp site and tent.
Rode for less than 1 hour then.....
On trail 9 I was on the left hand side on the rock ledge
when my spotter said turn driver....I turn to driver and he
said turn driver and I said it is all the way. We then notice
I had broke my outer steering tie rod in half. Winched the
rest of the way up. Went back to camp and Wes found us the
number to the parts store.....ordered part was to be in at 5pm.
Went to parts store....wrong part came in. Could be there in the
morning. They called and found one in Greenville so off we went.
Anyway got back after dark. Walked back to Jeep and got it fixed.....
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
Broken right rear shock. Backed it into a rock somewhere and bent the shaft. AJ and I threw a winch line on it to get it straight and she cycled. Then she lost all the fluid and still held up all weekend. Not too shabby considering 10 minutes in on TNT I was humping a boulder and sitting on my front driveshaft, oil pan, control arms and transmission at the same time  ::) thanks for those who helped me off and whoever got the hi lift I left, good luck with that one.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00:31 AM »
I have not seen a carnage report thread. I think maybe it's in several threads. But I will start.
At the end of the night ride with Skip, after taking my TJ out of 4-wheel to make a turn, it would not go back in 4-wheel nor did I have 2-wheel drive. Wes was in front of me and jumped out to take a look. He discovered the 4 wheel shifter linkage pin (?) underneath had dislodged and a plate on the inside had come off. He took the remaining plate off the out side, moved the pin up and replaced the plate with the pin in the plate hole. Then he was able to get the shifter to work in 4 high. That enabled me to get back to my trailer; and home.
Unfortunately there is also a pretty heavy leak of something that needs to be figured out. Oh well-If I wheel it, it usually breaks. Seems like I have only wheeled once or twice without breaking. It is a 97, so some of it is probably due to wear.
Huge thanks to Wes for getting me on the road. The help that people give others in this club is amazing to me. I'm still learning, but not anywhere near being a mechanic.-Randy

Something similar happened to me at Morris Mtn on the gauntlet. I took the jeep out of 4wd and couldnt shift it back in a few seconds later. Quick look underneath and I found the culprit. I had actually took a good hit to the belly pan and it pushed the drive train up about an inch or more, putting the linkage in a bind. I had to shift the transfer case from underneath the jeep.  Go ahead and get yourself a AA or Novak cable shifter and dont look back. You may want to check out that belly pan a little closer too, that is probably what created your linkage problem. 

Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:03:34 AM »
Broken right rear shock. Backed it into a rock somewhere and bent the shaft. AJ and I threw a winch line on it to get it straight and she cycled. Then she lost all the fluid and still held up all weekend. Not too shabby considering 10 minutes in on TNT I was humping a boulder and sitting on my front driveshaft, oil pan, control arms and transmission at the same time  ::) thanks for those who helped me off and whoever got the hi lift I left, good luck with that one.

Looks like its time for that oil pan skid plate...

Still waiting to hear from Jason after see a picture of his 4runner  {popcorn}

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »
Yeah, the list is long.

When I flopped it, it smashed the whole left side (driver's side). Snapped the mirror right off, CO2 tank went thru the back window. Ripped the flares off that side. Dented both driver's side doors and the fender.  Driver's door is bowed at top, letting in air & rain. The front bumper seems to be hanging crooked now, too. Oh, and my sunglasses holder fell out too.

Bent my rear locating arm into a semi -circle (supposed to be straight). Big thanks to Dean at Gulches for helping me get the arm off the truck & bent straight again. Right after the control arm got bent I broke my first passenger front axle shaft.

Saturday AM Mike & Todd helped me (well, I helped them) replace the front shaft. Broke that one before noon on that first big rock at TNT rock garden.

Might not make the ride next month.

:(
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline Uncle Randy

• Visitor
  • Cherish every minute
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
Dang it. I was gonna get the jack handle since mine got bent up last time at Gulches trying to move the exhaust  pipe.
Randy
'06TJ
Treekiller

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Gulches GATRFest Carnage Report
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:30:01 AM »
Took out drive shaft yoke in 2 hours of being there. Long drive for a short ride.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:51 PM »
Yeah, the list is long.

When I flopped it, it smashed the whole left side (driver's side). Snapped the mirror right off, CO2 tank went thru the back window. Ripped the flares off that side. Dented both driver's side doors and the fender.  Driver's door is bowed at top, letting in air & rain. The front bumper seems to be hanging crooked now, too. Oh, and my sunglasses holder fell out too.

Bent my rear locating arm into a semi -circle (supposed to be straight). Big thanks to Dean at Gulches for helping me get the arm off the truck & bent straight again. Right after the control arm got bent I broke my first passenger front axle shaft.

Saturday AM Mike & Todd helped me (well, I helped them) replace the front shaft. Broke that one before noon on that first big rock at TNT rock garden.

Might not make the ride next month.

:(

{WTF1} Trail tattoo's ad character! lol
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline tazstoy

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 03:37:10 PM »
My nice new durango steering box died thanks to over heating so my buddy at napa swapped it out today and I'm adding a cooler to it so maybe it will last this time its used but free

[attachment deleted by admin - older than 465 days]
Todd, Marie  and son goes by Tim or Timothy

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
My sliders took a beating, but I guess it's not considered carnage if thats what they are for.
Jay

Offline bjeep

• Visitor
  • Do one thing today to make tomorrow better.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
My sliders took a beating, but I guess it's not considered carnage if thats what they are for.

If so, Than nothing is considered carnage. :o
Marty

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM