BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Need jeep buying help in macon  (Read 628 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
Need jeep buying help in macon
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:38:54 PM »
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been on. Been busy with the family and work. I sold my bronco, and now I'm looking at a tj. It has the 32rh trans. I was wondering if there was anyone in te Macon area that is willing to go with me and check it out. I don't really know much about tj's, and I want to make sure this is goin to be a good buy. It's gonna be my dd, and I'm selling my 2011 silverado for a tj.  I have another little spotter on the way, and need something with a back seat. Also if anyone from the area knows of a good tj (close to stock if possible) that would help too. Ive had bad luck in the past on used rigs, I tend to jump into a bad deal. So I'd like to find a knowledgable person to help me out. Thanks guys!
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Need jeep buying help in macon
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
Welcome back.  Sorry I can't be in Macon and don't know who can down there.

Best deal is to spend a little money and have a mechanic of your choice look over it.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
My buddy is the manager in the service dept, he's te one that told me about it. He said It needed nothing. They changed the oil, filters, trans drain and filter(no flush), an a belt. It's 100% stock and definitely no signs of offroading . I just wanted to get a second opinion
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
110% agree.  Preferably get someone who knows the I6 and TJ's but a trusted mechanic is invaluable.  
Blue Wes

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
My buddy is the manager in the service dept, he's te one that told me about it. He said It needed nothing. They changed the oil, filters, trans drain and filter(no flush), an a belt. It's 100% stock and definitely no signs of offroading . I just wanted to get a second opinion

There ya go...now if you could talk him into selling it to you what they really paid for it you would be golden!!!
Blue Wes

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:30:16 PM »
He's workin on it with his sales manager. Trying to get it cheap as I can.  But the 32rh 3spd kinda sketches me out. I've read good things, but alot of bad things. Just wanna make sure it's not gonna crap out. It also has the wierd 4.0 without disty or coil, which I heard was prone to head cracking
2000 TJ

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 11:04:34 PM »
Are you going to build it or just dd? If your guy is a trusted friend and knows about Jeeps then I would just trust him. Make sure you drive it at all speeds to ensure it doesn't drive bad or death wooble!!

You can have him jack up the front axle and put a big pry bar under the tire and pry up several times - pay close attention to the upper & lower ball joints - if they do not move your probably in good shape.

Also have him shake the steering wheel left to right very hard while you look at the track bar. Neither ens should have play.

Other than that just drive it and make sure everything works and shifts properly  {cheers2}
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
Re: Re: Need jeep buying help in macon
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
If you're still looking, there's a really nice, close to stock w a few mods for sale on HW27 in Hamilton going N just before you get to Roosevelt st park and Callaway garden. It's pretty close, and mite just be worth the trip. Since I live out that way, I'd be happy to come check it out w ya.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 08:45:21 AM »
If your buying from a dealer. Try to work an extended warranty in negotiation, especially if they are not coming off the price much. 

Look for the obvious signs of leaks, frayed wires, replaced parts. Look at bolt heads and see if they have ever been removed on body panels. Easy to see the ring of where the bolt was on from the factory. Put your hand on top of the belly pan, if its been in mud it will still be on the top of the belly pan. Drive it for more than 5 minutes (get it up to temperature), put it on the highway, etc. Test the 4wd. Make sure all the bells and whistles still work. Negotiate price, then offer them less. Drive it home.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 09:03:55 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm going back today after work and check it out again. It's gonna be modded but still a dd. I'm looking at an ome lift and 31's. just want it to be somewhat capable offroad, nothing crazy. Just want to be able to go out in the woods and explore
2000 TJ

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:27 PM »
Just an update, I bought it today for 6827.xx otd. Didn't plan on waiting this long, but I got lucky. By the time I got the money up, they discounted it even more. I love it! See you guys on the trails
2000 TJ

Online tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »
Post up some pics and lets see that bad boy!

Congratulations!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM