BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Lifting advice $  (Read 6000 times)

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
Re: Re: Re: Lifting advice $
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
On the steering stabilizer. Biggest problem is on the JK it hangs under your tie rod. Get the relocation bracket and raise it above. Problem solved

Yeah, that's where mine sits (above the tie rod) and I had no issues what so ever.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: Lifting advice $
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »
Steering stabilizers... who needs 'em. I don't  ;D As Jerm stated, keep it simple. Start slow and research, research, research and wheel it, then figure out what you want. Bobby hit it right about the parts. You lift it, then you have to do this, then this. It took me nearly 5 years to get my Jeep to where it is now and I still want more ::) Never ends!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 02:29:08 PM »
Screw all that. If you want to keep it simple and be plenty capable Keep your 33's, lock the front, skid plate the oil pan and ride it like that. Dont get caught up on lift and tires and all that jazz right now. It cost a lot and you will spend your months/years waiting and wanting the next part to make it just a little better or "complete" a step. When I had a stock 4 door Rubicon those lockers changed the world and I was just on the stock 32's. Even i sometimes wish I would have slowed down with my LJ and done things different but I have done drilled and chopped the body and it will be forever what it is now.

I can speak from exp and many guys here will second... Once you get the lift you will want 35's, period. THem 33's will look goofy. So you get 35's and now you need gears because the 3.21 will be crazy so now thats another 1300. Then with 35's you need to address steering issues so a few hundred there. And then you will stand want a locker but with the weight of 35's now you probably should look at axle shafts... All of this doesnt take into accound with the lift getting drive shaft and maybe better shocks, ect.

so, lock the front with something cheap like lunchbox lockers..  skid the oil pan.  what about the stearing stablizer, (relocation on top of bar kit) would this make it handle better offroading?
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
Not gonna make any difference in handling. Just keeps it higher and out of the rocks. I definitely recommend some good skid plates. I still need to get an oil pan skid. Gulches almost got me last trip {no}
I've grown tired of this.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
I'll second BigJerm's advice - locker(s) and skids first. Hold off the lift until you've wheeled a bit more.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2012, 06:13:20 AM »
Ok, well, i guess thats what I will do then.  keep wheeling, gain a better understanding of lines, which i think i am getting better, I seem to be taking or understanding lines better and how my rig flexes.

I am also trying to listen to the spotters better, I find that a good spotter is worth more than all the lockers/lifts etc.  and our club has some great ones.   had that little hick-up on that last hard trail , only
took a small push to get me off that rock, and then a good.. Kirk style bump and i was up and on to the nxt section..

control arm protectors are pretty cheap, and something i can do, anyone have any good ideas on what under body armor i should get 1st.   Diff? Oil/tran? their are alot of things i can/need to protect...
on the lockers.  atm, i would only be able to afford the cheap auto/lunchbox front?  but at least thats a start.  and i have no idea what my diff is, 30,40? anyone know what the JK 2012 Wrangler Sport comes with.. i do know im at 3.21 gears.. yea yea. it sucks, but thats another discussion, im sticking with 33's for a while and no plans to pull anything...   //OLDSKOOL//
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:04:45 AM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2012, 06:31:46 AM »
You have a Dana 30 and your gears are 3:21
Bobby

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 06:59:20 AM »
so would it be worth upgrading to 44 ? i think it says i have 30 front and 44 rear on the sport?  not sure, i have seen posts of ppl saying that the 30 is not strong and running 33's are larger can put
too much strain on them and they can break?  WTF
Kent Casey

onlygoon

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 07:02:10 AM »
Unless ur got a tow package then u have 3.73 just look at ur window sticker I have 3.73 in mine and with the RE lift u would be sitting at four inches bobby I will shoot u a text soon man

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
well , crap..   WTF

now im thinking i need to make sure my diff/axel is sufficient to handle what im doing, i dont want to snap anything .   :'(   this just keeps getting worse...  is should have  {rtft} the sticker better
and made them upgrade it at the dealer...  :bs)

I need to step back and try and get my mind around this.  ...     the axel/diff gears ,..  geshhhh..  what i get for rushing into this...  so should i look at making sure my gears/diff's/axels are a bit more
beefy first..? i dont want to snap anything..   someone shoot me now!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 07:16:37 AM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 07:28:54 AM »
Man, I feel your pain.  I started with a 2012 sport, and adding the lockers/axles seemed so daunting I traded it for a 2013 rubi.  Now I am starting the list of upgrades I want and the price tag is sitting at $too damn much!  I've decided to start with the 4wd shifter linkage cable (found an upgrade to replace the stock cable with the plastic bushings) and a winch mounted to my stock front bumper.  I figure those two upgrades will get me out of most self inflicted issues.  I'll probably move next to skids, so I am eagerly watching the answers to your question above.  Then the big $$$s start.  I'll be watching your posts, you are asking a lot of the same questions I have.  If I find any enlightenment I'll pass it along!
Dave

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:44 AM »
I think we all feel your pain. I planned on  getting gears then ended up with an axle, locker, shafts, front DS, and finally gears...
Jay

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM