BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: 500 to spend, what would you do?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
Re: 500 to spend, what would you do?
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:21:36 PM »
LUNCHBOXLOCKERFTW
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »
Jay bought some new Rubi rail takeoffs for $100 I think. May want to check on where he found them.

Craigslist ftw
Jay

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 05:43:07 AM »
well, i have keep my eyes open on CL for sliders, but not seen any.  and i called the dealership.  before windrock one.. i forget , had one, but they wanted like 230+ for it.  dang..  bit on the high side for me
plus, i really did not see the need yet for them... 

Lockers...  because of the cost and install, im putting them a bit down the list.   above the lift, but i guess I am leaning to fixing what bothers me the most.  since my driving on a standard is still in a learning
process.. working the clutch to be smooth etc...  im prob. going to start with.

1. control arm protection..
2. oil/tran protection..
3. budget lift with shocks... 2 - 3 inch max..  leaning toward the 2  or 2 1/2 inch.. i already have bumpstops... installed by allshouth.
4. front lunch box lockers
5. sliders...  (this would move up if i could find some for 100 or under.. still looking)

I stated in another post.  the winch would be nice, but i pretty much never go out without anyone that does not have one..  ...   

i can do 1 and 2  i think on my own.  im guessing i dont even need to jack the jeep up...  3 will take some beer and some friends.. as i know nothing about that...  and 4 well again, maybe i can find some friend that has the tools and know how.  or Danny could give me a good quote on this.. who knows.... 

this is where im leaning.   atm     anymore advice.  keep it comming.   input is good, i like the discussion, helps me understand... all this..
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: 500 to spend, what would you do?
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
Kent, if u land on a large rock under the door, it will bend the tub, sometimes bad because the sheet metal is so thin on JK's.  Could have easily happened at Windrock or Gulches.  i was on mine a lot leading without a spotter.  So u want to be active looking for those sliders.  Deals can be found.
Search JKO and JK-Forum and post wanted threads.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 09:18:04 AM »
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »

anymore advice.  keep it comming.   input is good, i like the discussion, helps me understand... all this..

aftermarket Dif covers...your differentials are low and ripe for getting busted open.  Many brands to choose from and they all work about 100X better than stock.  Solid, Poison Spyder, Riddler are some to look at. 

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 10:14:05 AM »
Alot of times you can find the SOLID brand on sale and it both axles for the price of one of the others.
Bobby

Offline tazstoy

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »
ok just gonna throw this idea out there, the diff covers and sliders and oil pan shoild be first but after that start buying tools I know you said you don't know how to do much as far as working on your jeep but you would be surprised at what you can do with the right tools (no I'm not talking about a bf hammer and a block of wood) buy a repair manual for your jeep too. the best way to do it is get in there and get your hands dirty. as far as your lunchbox locker goes when you get ready to do it let me know I'll be glad to help teach you how to do it well I will help but theres nothing like working on your own rig to give you a big boost of pride when you get done
Todd, Marie  and son goes by Tim or Timothy

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
theres nothing like working on your own rig to give you a big boost of pride when you get done

thanks., this is what im looking for.  and thanks for the offer to help.  im guessing im going to get the diff. covers first.  Danny showed me a nice lift, in one of his replys i think i have a plan.   i guess changing your diff. fluid. is easy, like the oil.    do i need jack stand. or do i need to jack it up for the diff stuff..  and i guess when ur changing the diff oil is when u put the new covers on?
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »
theres nothing like working on your own rig to give you a big boost of pride when you get done

thanks., this is what im looking for.  and thanks for the offer to help.  im guessing im going to get the diff. covers first.  Danny showed me a nice lift, in one of his replys i think i have a plan.   i guess changing your diff. fluid. is easy, like the oil.    do i need jack stand. or do i need to jack it up for the diff stuff..  and i guess when ur changing the diff oil is when u put the new covers on?

Changing out the dif covers and fluid is easy, lots of writeups on the interweb for you.

jack stands and a good floor jack will really help you out with a lot of stuff you will do under the jeep.  Harbor Freight has good deals on these.  Get 6 ton jack stands for their height.

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
Harbor freight is good for almost every tool that does not have a motor in it (get quality drills, impact drivers from Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt)...I agree that their 6 ton jack stands and jacks are awesome!
Blue Wes

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM