BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: something is wrong, need help  (Read 627 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
something is wrong, need help
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right section or not. I have a stock 00 tj with 150k miles. On my trip yesterday to sc, I noticed my front end has some sway. Its not body roll. The best way to describe it, is it feels like the wind comming off of an 18 wheeler. The front kinda moves back in forth all over the road. The steering is tight tho. I had a helper move the steering wheel back and forth while I looked. The?tre's are tight, but the axle.moves back and forth about 1/2". So is it safe to say my trac bar is worn? Any ideas on what to check? Its a task just to keep it in my own lane. All the steering feels tight tho. I'm stumped
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

BigJerm

Re: something is wrong, need help
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:04:29 PM »
Check all the bushings control arms included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
And ball joints.  Something structural is bad.

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »
ball joints are good, can't really tell on the ca's. They look good and pass the "shake" test. Don't really have the tools with me to pull them off and really inspect them. Basicallu it wonders all over the road. They front end sways left and right. Not a roll  or anything, just takes a lot of steering inspection
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
crawl under your jeep and have somebody push it side to side and watch the joints on the CA's.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
They move side to side ever so slightly., what should I exactly be looking for? Also I'm getting a clunk feeling from the wheel when I move it side to side checking for play. No clunk noise tho
2000 TJ

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
Maybe jack that wheel up and see if moves around.

Chuck & Sherry

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re: Re: something is wrong, need help
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »
That sounds like it could be a bad wheel bearing. If you jack it up and it has a lot of play then you might want to pull the wheel off and check it out, cause it could be serious stuff going on there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Alex

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 06:26:38 PM »
I just checked, wheel bearings and bj's seem good. I'm meeting matt Sunday, maybe he can help figure out what's wrong. On a good note, it doesn't seem to be worsening,so hopefully I can make it back home. I would nt really say it feels dangerous to drive, just kinda nerve wrecking and tiring. For a while I thought it was just some crosswinds blowing
2000 TJ

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »
Did you check your drag link? Again get someone to push the jeep side to side and make sure it's not moving around on either end.

Chuck & Sherry

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »
Only.thing I really noticed was the axle moving side to side. It looked like the tracbar had play on the frame end. The rear has no movement at all. I'll check.more in the morning when its warmer and light out
2000 TJ

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
Yep, I meant trac bar not drag link lol. If there is slop in the joint you will feel it in your axle.

Chuck & Sherry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM