BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: whats a resonable cost for head replacement?  (Read 225 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
whats a resonable cost for head replacement?
« on: December 09, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
Well its a fact that I either have a blown head gasket or.cracked 0331 head. Either way id like to replace the head for future reliability. I plan on using odessa/clearwater new casting head, with the upgrade so it won't crack like stock. I really don't have the tools to do it myself or I would. Just to.make sure I don't get ripped when I shop for a mechanic, how much is a reasonable price for a head swap? I will have the head, gasket set, and new head bolts already purchased. I just need the labor part done.
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
Re: whats a resonable cost for head replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 06:23:07 PM »
Thats atleast a good solid day or 3 worth of work right there. For some something like that Danny (PHANTOM) or Todd (Tazstoy) would be the guys to ask.  {cheers2}
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: whats a resonable cost for head replacement?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
Just google it.  It is info readily available on the net.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/how-many-labor-hours-replace-head-gasket-6-cyl-1146382/

Sent from my Samsung Note 2

BigJerm

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:59:22 AM »
See if you can find a friend... No seriously. When I had to get the head pulled on my civic I remembered some friends that use to build civics and acuras. I gave him a call and for $500 he pulled it , put new gaskets/seals, new head, installed various other parts I had bought and really cleaned the civic up. The dealer wanted a minimum of $1000 just to pull the head and send off to a machine shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
See if you can find a friend... No seriously. When I had to get the head pulled on my civic I remembered some friends that use to build civics and acuras. I gave him a call and for $500 he pulled it , put new gaskets/seals, new head, installed various other parts I had bought and really cleaned the civic up. The dealer wanted a minimum of $1000 just to pull the head and send off to a machine shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you pay them in beer & food? I find this form of payment makes things happen!

If it were me, I'd just do it myself. Getting the tools you need is going to be a lot cheaper than paying a shop. Just read a lot about it, take your time & keep your work area clean. Label all parts you take off. I've had a very tight budget the past couple years & have had no choice but to learn how to do things I never thought I'd be able to. From my expirence, things aren't nearly as bad as you think they're going to be.
Perry

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »
The only thing I don't have is a torque wrench, and a clean working area. I just don't have the time I used to
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM