BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Safety on the Trail and NOT What To Do.  (Read 872 times)

Offline bigaj234

• Visitor
Safety on the Trail and NOT What To Do.
« on: February 15, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
Guys this article is just a reminder of what not to do on a trail and why at the end of the day everyone wants to be able to go home at the end of the day.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/15/child-killed-in-jeep-flip-at-tennessee-off-road-park.html

LAWRENCEBURG, Tenn. –  A man accused of driving under the influence at an off-road park in Tennessee has been blamed for the death of a 12-year-old girl.

WTVF-TV reports Arika Long was 50-year-old Thomas Ruggeri's passenger at Wheelin' in the Country late Friday night. Lawrence County Sheriff's Capt. Adam Brewer says she was killed when their modified Jeep hit a rock and flipped over. She was trapped for 30 minutes before first responders reached the park's remote location.

Ruggeri's14-year-old child also was a passenger and suffered minor injuries. Brewer said no one was wearing a seatbelt.

Ruggeri is charged with vehicular homicide, operating a vehicle under influence and possession of drug paraphernalia in connection with marijuana pipes found. It's unclear whether he has a lawyer.

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Safety on the Trail and NOT What To Do.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
Very sad and so preventable. There simply is no cure for stupid. 
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:49 AM »
Just about every year one of these happens.
It is terrible and raises concerns about adults not
having wearing their seat belt....but to have this
happen to a kid just breaks my heart.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
There is no excuse for anyone in this group to not wear a seatbelt... please buckle up

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Dont go away mad, just go away.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 12:23:57 PM »
fantastic. just the kind of publicity the whole sport needs. 50k people shop up to KOH for a week, noone killed. Some drunk in the woods with two teens, pot, beers, and one night=death. wtf. so it took 30 mins for first responders to get there, was he wheeling alone with these two teens? Hang him, cut off the bloodline, thats the fix in this case, at least short term. Sad for the family, but where were they? who let these kids in the rig with this idiot?

I know we have all seen it, but i witnessed this trash at Hale Mtn several years ago. Drunks, kids, no driving skills, an individual and his buddy got impatient with us at Whiskey Still and decided to go around and flipped his rig right beside us. Threw the child who was sitting on a cooler out of the back, narrowly missed killing him. His wife/gf grabbed the cage and it almost crushed her hand off, didnt even scratch the driver, then he was mad at us for trying to help him right the jeep and get it off her arm. Cant fix stupid. Enjoy the sport while we still have it, it wont be long before insurance costs will be too high for anyone to operate and we will lose the parks that are left.
"The ones that matter dont mind and the ones that mind dont matter" -- Dr Seuss

"He's a man with an LJ. And thats all that really matters." -- JC79

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
Right on Justin.....

Our hobby can barely survive the black eye we
get from those idiots on Facebook. You know
whenever we talk about illegal wheeling. Stories
like this one will enrage public opinion even more!!
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
There is no place for alcohol on the trail.  I think that is a rule that needs more strictly enforced in this club.  That means during the day ride and night rides. If you can't go 6-8 hours wheeling without a beer, you might have a drinking problem. Yep, I said it.  Deal with it.

Offline thetastelingers

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
There is no place for alcohol on the trail.  I think that is a rule that needs more strictly enforced in this club.  That means during the day ride and night rides. If you can't go 6-8 hours wheeling without a beer, you might have a drinking problem. Yep, I said it.  Deal with it.
agreed
------------------------------------------------------------------
If at once you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 03:16:43 PM »

oh i already knew i had a drinking problem... i am fully aware im fixing to kick a hornets nest and ill deal with the sting, but you guys gonna sit there and tell me you NEVER drink and get under the wheel? never had a beer at the bar and went to the house? never watched a game at a buddies and had a couple and drove home? Some havent, and wont, I get that. Ive been in trouble, paid my price, and moved on. We are all (mostly) responsible adults here and im probly admittedly the worst one of the group, but even I feel like we can all police ourselves and aren't in need of any more rules and  regulations. Ive never seen the first person in this club get out of hand in any manner while they were driving.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »
We have a long standing rule.  It was written like this:

If you are seen drinking on the trail or operating a vehicle after consuming, you will be asked to leave immediately.  If you don't oblige the sheriff will be called. 

Staff has dealt with it privately on a case by case basis.  Does anyone want to change the rule?  I've not seen anyone trashed or I would say something, but how much is too much?  The only way to position the club and be family friendly and max safe out there is to have a rule. 

The problem is stuff happens, and if you are drinking it becomes the reason, right or not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:45:38 PM by Doug »

Offline 8lugLJ

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »
We have a long standing rule.  It was written like this:

If you are seen drinking on the trail or operating a vehicle after consuming, you will be asked to leave immediately.  If you don't oblige the sheriff will be called. 

Staff has dealt with it privately on a case by case basis.  Does anyone want to change the rule?  I've not seen anyone trashed or I would say something, but how much is too much?  The only way to position the club and be family friendly and max safe out there is to have a rule. 

The problem is stuff happens, and if you are drinking it becomes the reason, right or not.
Fantastic explanation Doug, thanks for your all encompassing wisdom.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
That is a sad story and John's right it's so avoidable. I try to avoid forum debating, all I can say is that this is the safest and most organized club I've seen.
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM