BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: 1.25" spacers 5 on 5  (Read 2856 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: 1.25" spacers 5 on 5
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
What I read was that the lip of a hub centric design is what supports the up and down motion of the wheel (well, the weight is rested on that lip) whereas the lugs are what provide the lateral motion support.  What surprises me about your situation, is the lugs coming away from the hub, not the spacer. If the lugs between the spacer and the wheel separated, then I could understand since the wheel would have no lip to support the forces, but since the vehicle's hubs were 'hub centric', the spacer should have been fully supported by the hub's centric part, thus that shouldn't have broken away at that point.

I take back my "makes sense to me" comment...it does not make sense, if the failure was at the lugs between the vehicle hub and the spacer.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 09:43:30 AM »
 //;D// Who knows what happened? Anybodys guess really. I know 2 things though... 1 used locktight and they were tight  //:hlp//
I've grown tired of this.

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
What I read was that the lip of a hub centric design is what supports the up and down motion of the wheel (well, the weight is rested on that lip) whereas the lugs are what provide the lateral motion support.  What surprises me about your situation, is the lugs coming away from the hub, not the spacer. If the lugs between the spacer and the wheel separated, then I could understand since the wheel would have no lip to support the forces, but since the vehicle's hubs were 'hub centric', the spacer should have been fully supported by the hub's centric part, thus that shouldn't have broken away at that point.

I take back my "makes sense to me" comment...it does not make sense, if the failure was at the lugs between the vehicle hub and the spacer.

Clark... back up to the "makes sense to me" part... if he was using a non HC spacer the center hole is larger then a HC hole so thus, the vehicle weight was NOT resting on the center hole of the non HC spacer just as the tire was not resting any weight on the non HC spacer except through the lugs.

A non HC spacer does not have a shoulder on either side and the center bore is much larger then the hub on the vehicle.
JK-AJ

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Re: 1.25" spacers 5 on 5
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »

Clark... back up to the "makes sense to me" part... if he was using a non HC spacer the center hole is larger then a HC hole so thus, the vehicle weight was NOT resting on the center hole of the non HC spacer just as the tire was not resting any weight on the non HC spacer except through the lugs.

A non HC spacer does not have a shoulder on either side and the center bore is much larger then the hub on the vehicle.

Ok, I'm back to, "makes sense to me"  lol
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
//;D// Who knows what happened? Anybodys guess really. I know 2 things though... 1 used locktight and they were tight  //:hlp//

Yeah, you made me scared of spacers. I have them & have always said to my self "Well, Ben wheels his Jeep a lot harder than me & he's never had an issue"...Then you posted those pictures. You're lucky dude, it could have been a lot worse! Anyway, good luck with the sale.
Perry

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re:
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:59 PM »
Yup. Could have easily died. Still amazed at how stable it was on 3 wheels at 65.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM