BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: West Coast Rides  (Read 2674 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
West Coast Rides
« on: July 20, 2015, 11:20:21 AM »
For you guys in Arizona/Colorado area - we need to do a weekend outing somewhere. Maybe meet up at Johnson Valley or something.

Russel, didn't you say there was a place close to you?
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline jc79

• Visitor
Re: West Coast Rides
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »
I'm in for this, Chuck.  We need to hit the CA stuff one year/trip and then the CO stuff, too.  The Independence trail system, Carnage Canyon, Billings Canyon and Holy Cross are supposed to be awesome. 

It shows 965 miles for me to JV, so an easy 2 days. //SLAMIN//
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:43:55 PM by jc79 »
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »
I'm in for this, Chuck.  We need to hit the CA stuff one year/trip and then the CO stuff, too.  The Independence trail system, Carnage Canyon, Billings Canyon and Holy Cross are supposed to be awesome. 

Man, for some reason I was thinking CO was closer than that.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »

And I was thinking it was farther... :-)

Every time I tell someone here that we'd always wanted to move "out West" they point out the Colorado really isn't "out West"
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »

Every time I tell someone here that we'd always wanted to move "out West" they point out the Colorado really isn't "out West"

it's more westerner' than here... that's for sure

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »

it's more westerner' than here... that's for sure

that's exactly my response every time
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline wejeep

• Visitor
  • Moab 50+x
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »

I moved from western Colorado (Grand Junction) to GA 5 years ago, and did all the hard core rockcrawling stuff while there. 
Beyond doubt the best rockcrawling anywhere is JV.  Ya can spend a week there and still not do all the trails.   

Of the CO trails you have mentioned above the best is the Independence Trail system, although it is rather short.  Billings Canyon and Holy Cross are ok but not that tough.  Absolutely the best rockcrawling in CO are the trails near Montrose.  Another great trail system is near Rangely.  If I  were to rank CO trails, it would look something like this:

Montrose and Rangely are tied in my opinion and a distant 1st/2nd to the other trails.
Independence
Billings
21 road
Holy Cross
I never got around to doing Carnage Canyon, but from what friends told me it ranks in there with 21 road and Billings.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Lee and Margie

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 02:34:58 PM »

I moved from western Colorado (Grand Junction) to GA 5 years ago, and did all the hard core rockcrawling stuff while there. 
Beyond doubt the best rockcrawling anywhere is JV.  Ya can spend a week there and still not do all the trails.   

Of the CO trails you have mentioned above the best is the Independence Trail system, although it is rather short.  Billings Canyon and Holy Cross are ok but not that tough.  Absolutely the best rockcrawling in CO are the trails near Montrose.  Another great trail system is near Rangely.  If I  were to rank CO trails, it would look something like this:

Montrose and Rangely are tied in my opinion and a distant 1st/2nd to the other trails.
Independence
Billings
21 road
Holy Cross
I never got around to doing Carnage Canyon, but from what friends told me it ranks in there with 21 road and Billings.

Just my 2 cents worth.

This is good info. This is my first summer here and I haven't done any of them yet.  It does seem that most of the trails here are great for scenery but not extreme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 03:13:24 PM »

Independence
Billings
21 road
Holy Cross

Saved in my file.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM