BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: If you could go back in time......  (Read 1528 times)

Offline BlueJew

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Starting new thread for this one.  I don't want to take away from the topic of this thread.
Blue Wes

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
That's my plan to. I could get a 241 and new driveshaft for the rear for cheaper than an axle regear. When I do the crawl ratio calculator a 4:1 tcase change gets a much lower ratio than a regear to 4.88s (lowest I can do in the TJ D30) with the stock tcase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regearing both axles would be less than $1000. 241 + driveshaft + 1310/1330 U-joint for front shaft would be worst case $1300. For that money you could just install a tera low kit in the 231 and keep your driveshafts.

Gears will benefit you all the time for less money. I bought my G2 gears on sale at 4WP, with master installs and free G2 covers. Look for the sales. Actually they are giving away covers right now. You can have gears installed as low as $200 per axle.

Shopping Cart for 4WheelParts.com-RH2

Dana 30 Short 4.88 Ring And Pinion Set
    Part #G/22-2031-488
    5% Off Any Order (Some Exclusions Apply)
    Plus Call-In Special! Free G2 Differential Cover w/Purchase of Select G2 Products More

You Save 5% on this item
    Quantity:
    Update
    $178.99

- $8.95

$170.04
    Move to Wish List
    Remove

Dana 44 Rubicon 4.88 Ring And Pinion Set
    Part #G/22-2045-488
    Plus Call-In Special! Free G2 Differential Cover w/Purchase of Select G2 Products More

You Save 5% on this item
    Quantity:
    Update
    $212.99

- $10.65

$202.34
    Move to Wish List
    Remove

Dana 30 TJ Master Installation Kit
    Part #G/235-2031

You Save 5% on this item
    Quantity:
    Update
    $99.99

- $5.00

$94.99
    Move to Wish List
    Remove

Dana 44 Master Installation Kit
    Part #G/235-2033

You Save 5% on this item
    Quantity:
    Update
    $113.99

- $5.70

$108.29
    Move to Wish List
    Remove

Shipping promotions exclude Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, and international addresses.

Subtotal: $575.66
    Shipping: Calculate Shipping   
    Total: $575.66 
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER

Regearing both axles would be less than $1000. 241 + driveshaft + 1310/1330 U-joint for front shaft would be worst case $1300. For that money you could just install a tera low kit in the 231 and keep your driveshafts.

If somebody gave me a tera low kit already installed in a 231, I would sell it.  I know of three people personally that installed them and they broke.They each got warrantied replacements. One guy's teralow kit broke twice and when it got replace the second time the company told him they would not replace it again.

You get a lot more than just 4:1 gears when you get the 241OR.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders

If somebody gave me a tera low kit already installed in a 231, I would sell it.  I know of three people personally that installed them and they broke.They each got warrantied replacements. One guy's teralow kit broke twice and when it got replace the second time the company told him they would not replace it again.

You get a lot more than just 4:1 gears when you get the 241OR.

What part failed? This could halt my plans for one. The Tera Low also has an upgraded 5 gear planetary, which could be a POS. Everything else is pretty much 231 parts which are cheap and easy to replace.

This would be my second choice.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/motor-tranny-t-case-performance/696803-np231-planetary-crawlbox-box4rocks-499-a.html

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

Larry I have read quite a few failues of the Teralow kit as well. Enough that keeps me from doing it

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Larry I have read quite a few failues of the Teralow kit as well. Enough that keeps me from doing it

I read up now that the pins fail in the planetary when you rev them over 3k in 4 low. I have also read that Teraflex warns against this and have read good things for people that dont abuse. But then again do you want to have to worry about it? I think the B4R doubler would be the best deal with a 300. Run the 6 gear planetary in the 231.  231/300 is the length of a 231 with slip yoke. I have had 0 problems from the 231 and it easy to work on and cheap to fix/replace.

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

But then again do you want to have to worry about it?

Agreed. Sometimes this is worth a little more. I like a good deal but spending time broke, even if with a warranty, sucks

Offline ADAM

• Visitor
  • I have lost my MIND!!!
Not to have gotten rid of it to start with
Don't know what I got anymore...

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Not to have gotten rid of it to start with

so true.  I'll bet half the club has a jeep in their past they wish they had never sold. I know I do.

BigJerm

so true.  I'll bet half the club has a jeep in their past they wish they had never sold. I know I do.

Yep. Bought a 98 XJ, loaded, 4x4, garage kept, 60 something thousand miles from my dads friend for $5k back in early 05... what that rig could be today

BigJerm

Not going to lie... thought it cost a lot more than that to regear. I figured it was in the 1300-1400 range. I also know I can sell my 231 but for no more than 300 probably

Offline frenchlayer

• Visitor
  • Josh
yep, I regret selling my yj to pay off my wifes car
Josh and Solenn (Frenchy)

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM