BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?  (Read 4798 times)

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
Re: Blue Taco, Tire Logic.... wider vs taller?
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »
Love the convo, thanks.  3" lift off stock taco is SOMETHING but not entirely accommodating to the tires you Jeeps seem to handle and discuss as norm.    Maybe i should see if there's a coilover option for lifting a bit more. Dangit you guys.  More, more more...
BLUE TACO: Tom | Ticia | Joanna (6 yr old)
2014 Tacoma TRD Offroad | General Noob

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2014, 03:29:14 PM »
Leave it as is... Nice truck

Get a beater XJ for the trail and a cheap trailer.  Neither will depreciate much if at all, and then you'll know better what you want to do long term.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2014, 03:36:21 PM »
^ solid advice
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2014, 03:56:09 PM »
I've been shopping for an XJ  (cherokee) myself, I am sure you can get one already lifted, with tires, or an old YJ (early 90's wrangler), for the price of the stuff you are going to drop on the taco.

Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
Hindsight being 20/20 I think I would have gone Jeep route.  But its paid for, so that's that.  However with that said, this tacoma is an absolute pleasure to drive... its smaller than my last truck, but maneuvers and has comforts (batmobile-like from my perspective) that I never imagined.  Previous was '96 ram, which I still thot was luxury by simply having automatic windows.   I'd gotten so used to driving that older truck which was breaking down and averaging a tow every few months.  I went through 2 rebuilt transmissions in 4 months.  I was nervous driving it any further than 50 miles any direction...and it sucked having that feeling all the time. It was just a source of stress.  This toyota, complete opposite.  Feels dang good.

Simply no room for 3rd vehicle at my little place.  So I'm gambling on using the $1500 sale money from that old truck to lift this taco, and toss a few more beans at tires and some armor.  I wont for a second question Jeep fans---prefer Jeep fans over toyota fans (I cringe at fellow toyota owners claiming offroad superiority type stuff).  Still! There appears to be great/easy ways to outfit a tacoma for casual OR.  

In a few years maybe a Jeep... If a promotion comes along, and private school for kids turns out to be cheap, and all that noise works...also maybe a new house with a decent garage would be swell too... but for now, this is what I'm working with.  :)

edit: jgerhard --- You sound like you know your stuff so thats why i left my friggin life story in a post here.  I've read and re-read all your posts.  So by no means am trying to argue anything whatsoever.  Just making the best out of situation.

-tom

« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 04:52:38 PM by slowbox »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2014, 05:02:19 PM »

... and private school for kids turns out to be cheap,

Nope.

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »

... and private school for kids turns out to be cheap,

Nope.

^i know, i'm not sure if im being sarcasticy sometimes or just pointlessly hopefull :)

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Hey, no worries, enjoying seeing you catch the bug.  I am monitoring QA fixes for a software release tonight so I have time to chat online.

I think those of us that have commented just want you to know whats up before you get in too deep, especially since you have family to think of.  Perhaps you have seen the J.E.E.P thing, Just Empty Every Pocket.  Not sure of the Toyota line of thinking lol.  For me it started when I had RC cars in middle school, I would just pour through the Tower hobbies catalog and RC Car action mags.  Then it was guitars, then it was girls.  I had big dreams on my Tacoma when I got it.  Had kids, derail that.  I had the good fortune to have a job I can achieve well at, and be able to get a JKU as my wife likes it too, we didn't want a minivan or another big SUV.  Took 2 years to even upgrade the Jeep.  Then I found GATR - this club is like moving from toys to TOYS.  One day you are looking at pictures in a magazine and then one day you are on a moutainside surrounded by awesome equipment going sideways around boulders.

It is a bit expensive to get into this sport/hobby and we are throwing tens of thousands of dollars of vehicles around in rock parks.  The scenery, beautiful views, crazy trails, and awesome rigs everywhere is so cool. 

So I would hate for you to have the total dismay of a major body damage issue on an early foray out.  I have seen it at least once this year.  I would say sliders, tires + lift, armor, lockers, tow points in some order.  Don't wheel with thin walled tires or without sliders.  The club staff and members can get you in and out of the rest.  The first +serious+ advice I got when I asked for it after a ride with GATR was to build the axles.  Went to Allsouth, joined CORE, broke out the wallet, am hooked on the upgrade process now cuz I can see how much my vehicle can do with the improvements.

I am actually not very experienced, I have an affordable build ontop of a great platform that can do some good stuff and I've started doing big obstacles at the end of the year at Jeepfest (obstacle course) and GATR fest (much bigger).  But the top builds on here can probably double my shock travel and obstacles.   I just moved through the new-to-the-sport stages recently so I am closer to your end of the build process in financial decisions, core build steps, than some of the advanced guys.  Matt, Doug, Tony, Bobby, Jason and Clark are really experienced in wheeling and mechanic'ing.  Its your build, enjoy the sport your way, be safe with your vehicle. 
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline slowbox

• Visitor
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
I typed 2 stupid paragraphs and just erased it all.  I'm mid 30's and actually just learned how differentials work through RC car rebuilding this past year.  Actually love my RCs. 

I'm advertising/graphic/pc/network/webdesign... i'm a pile of stuff.  Chateau Elan has kept me managing their marketing for 11 yrs now, but truth is I dont know crap about too much.

-Tom

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM