BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: To lock or not to lock?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: To lock or not to lock?
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »
So would it work to just throw in a lunchbox locker in the front axle on the D30?? and yea you're Raisinhead. Should probably throw in bigger axles before I do 37s. And selectable locker.. and gears... and axle shafts.. and more awesome stuff

yepper
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »
SWWWEEEEETTTTTTT //SLAMIN// //SLAMIN//
-Connor (Jango... the D is silent and invisible)

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 10:47:34 PM »
SWWWEEEEETTTTTTT //SLAMIN// //SLAMIN//

Since a lot of people go through the "lunchbox -> complete axle upgrade" progression, if you are trying to save money and have time, look in the classifieds on some of the larger forums and see if you can find a used one at a discount.  Also, make sure it fits your D30...there was some debate/discussion a while back regarding whether a D30 from a TJ and a D30 from a JK could use the same locker...I do not remember if there was an outcome.  Part number lookup on the lunchbox locker manufacturer's site might help.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »
I'm thinking now.., get an aussie locker in the front and install it myself, and go ahead and throw on an arb diff cover. Would you recommend upgrading axle shafts? i would only be taking apart the front end so would it make sense to have upgraded shafts in the front and stock in the rear? Reading from some of your past comments and other readings it sounds like staying on stock axles is okay but the locker can stress the axle and possible damage it? Ideas?

a little extra info. Im running 3.21 gears.  //budo//

Im a bit of a newbie in the axle area so excuse me if my questions seem below par.

thanks

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 12:12:03 AM »
I'm no expert (these guys will tell you), but committing to the axle build is your first decision.  Most people do not want to build a Dana 30 because within 1 year it is likely you will want to go bigger and then you threw away money on a one trick axle. 

I was in your position, so I committed to the Dana 30 build (full locker, new gears, new alloy shafts).  It has been about 1 year and I'm thinking about 1 ton axles (what I should have done on day one).  Now I'm stuck in a financial justification issue, when going one ton from the start would have cost me about 10% more, overall.  Instead I'm facing about a 50% increase on cost, plus my time.  I wish you luck..but I think I'm going to suffer through my non-one ton setup for a while longer.  Knowing what I know now, I would not have invested in my Dana 30.

Torg (or Clark)

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 01:15:54 AM »
Good point. I think I can justify to drop some money into my D30 for now. My funds are not big enough for bigger axles and I really don't need beefy axles yet because this is my DD and I don't wheel hard enough yet to need tons. Your right I may regret this down the road but I just can't see myself dropping big $$ on big axles yet.

Offline LUVNMY06TJ

• Visitor
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2014, 05:02:50 AM »
I think you've got a solid plan; spend the money on a locker that will not cost you a lot. This will enable you to have a front locker without fully investing into the rest of the axle like Clark talked about. The key is to be easy on the gas pedal. This will help to minimize your chances of breaking. As a general rule bouncing = breaking. As time goes on, you'll figure out what your long term goal is and can fund that appropriately. Also, there are a few other threads you may want to check out about stock parts that tend to break and look into carrying trail spares. That goes back to your use of the gas pedal among other things. Stock parts can be picked up for cheap or sometimes free from those who are upgrading, just keep an eye out. Just my .02.
Jim

"Never leave a downed wheeler."

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
 I have some other questions about driving around with the locker in. Since the locker will always be on when in 4 wheel drive..  Can you still go like 20 mph in 4 wheel high on dirt roads? or snow? I would want to be able to still to use 4wd high at around 20-30 mph but would having the locker on cause some kinda accident or damage?

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »

I have some other questions about driving around with the locker in. Since the locker will always be on when in 4 wheel drive..  Can you still go like 20 mph in 4 wheel high on dirt roads? or snow? I would want to be able to still to use 4wd high at around 20-30 mph but would having the locker on cause some kinda accident or damage?

An auto locker will always be on under power so in 4wheel hi, it will be on even at speed.  Yes, front auto lockers can cause issues in snow and ice but you'll just need to get a feel for it. It won't necessary cause any accidents or damage.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »
You can run 100+ mph with them with and be fine. That's a serious statement. Speed doesn't bother them.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline Jango

• Visitor
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 10:04:26 PM »
@tcdawg can you elaborate on what issues you think could occur?

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
To lock or not to lock?
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »
@tcdawg can you elaborate on what issues you think could occur?

When you are locked in the front in the snow or ice you can slide more when trying to turn, toward the outside of the turn. But if you have an Aussie or some other auto locker, it's not something you can't overcome. Just takes some getting use to.

In this state, I wouldn't let it be a deciding factor
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:16:29 PM by tcdawg »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM