BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Making Synthetic Rope  (Read 1433 times)

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Re: Making Synthetic Rope
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »
Looked on eBay where a 600' spool of 3/8 is buy-it-now for $1284.  If you got 6 takers you could make 6 100' winchlines @ $214 each for materials, or 7 85' lines @ $182.  Compare to another eBay seller offering 85' line for $202.  Thus a 20% margin not including labor.

Personally I think 75' lines are fine, since you can use tree savers and tow straps as extensions.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 02:39:32 PM »
I paid about $150-160 with free shipping for 100' of 7/16" line from Olympus offroad when I got it on sale. Normally it is $185 plus shipping. Not saying this is a bad idea or getting into that, but I would make sure it will be worth your time to take on the job.

What would you do if it broke and hurt someone or something? Just wondering.
Will

94 seXj

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 02:57:31 PM »

What would you do if it broke and hurt someone or something? Just wondering.

? not sure where you going with that statement?  but i guess that statement could apply to someone that buys there rope already made? correct?
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Kent, I'm sure at this point you wish you had not started this thread (I know I would wish that were the case, if I were you), but since you have started the thread, there are people who believe you are taking a risk by making your own winch line without significant reward for having done so. 

One scenario being envisioned is where you are in a precarious situation and the winch line is what is keeping you from being injured (not rubbing it in, but some people at Windrock this year were in such a situation at one point), for the moment.  If the winch line does not hold at the thimble (where you did your handy work), you may be injured because there is no winch line supporting the Jeep anymore and the Jeep tumbles, rolls, etc.  In a worst case scenario, someone else is injured because of the situation.

In the case of a rope bought from Warn, you, and the other people who have been injured, have recourse against Warn.  If you are the one who made the rope, you are the recourse and put yourself at financial risk.  Is $40 pf savings worth the effort and risk? 

I contend that if you do everything correctly and as it would be done by a professional, then you have protection, but you may still incur significant expense trying to defend yourself. 

The same situation could occur with me doing my own welding of parts on my Jeep...I took the gamble.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
I understand, and if/when i replace my line, i will make it know if anyone feels uncomfortable, they are welcome to be far away from me, i personally dont think its as big a gamble as others are suspecting, heck, like you said , many folks do it, and never bat an eye, people who install or do their own mods., same issue .  i personally think its worth more than 40$ in savings, but thats me, peace of mind knowing i did it, correctly. 

I dont know exactly how much recourse you would have on warn, as there is lots of fine print on this stuff, personally when u go to a park, you pretty much wave rights , its YOUR responsibility to be safe follow the rules, dont be down hill of stuff, I trust the guys here as even you have been good in making sure everyone is safe, out of the way when doing any  recovery.    kind of like the tree falling on someones jeep,..  .. stuff happens.

so for me, its a mute point.   
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:58:23 PM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 06:55:36 PM »
Most rope breakage occurs on old lines that have been weakened by exposure to sunlight.  When I got the buggy it had some old rope, and it broke the first pull I made with it.  I think Scott Freas had the same issue when he was stuck at the Jeepfest trail last year (if memory serves).

00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline Big Dave

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 07:34:19 PM »
I bought my 75 (?) foot synthetic rope on sale for $100 shipped. Regular price was $140.
  http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f74/synthetic-winch-line-175742/

Offline Scott F.

• Visitor
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2014, 08:50:35 PM »
Most rope breakage occurs on old lines that have been weakened by exposure to sunlight.  When I got the buggy it had some old rope, and it broke the first pull I made with it.  I think Scott Freas had the same issue when he was stuck at the Jeepfest trail last year (if memory serves).

Yes mine that broke was right at ten years old at the time. It hadn't been out in the sun that whole time but it also gets dirt in between the strands (if that's the proper term).  Same reason I was taught to never step on a climbing rope. With my new rope I am going to try to be better about keeping it clean.

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2014, 09:33:08 PM »

kind of like the tree falling on someones jeep,..  .. stuff happens

Yep... It definitely happens!

I think if you can do something yourself, save some cash, be more self sufficient as a result, and enjoy it... That's a good combo. Nice job, Kent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 05:35:39 AM »
Well, once i begin, I will prob. post pic's and get some more advice/input.   

@jared thanks, I know im still in my "early wheeling development" , im still working on my spotting ability, and lines, but one big area im lacking in , is doing work my self.   I look at so many of you, Wes(blue), Alex, Doug, Todd, Bobby, Clark, Matt, Kirk, Will, Tony, Ben  ..  sorry if i did not list you.. its a long list    and doing work on your own rig is something that gives you pride, and ..  self sufficient, which i need more .   i use the "campfire" time to try and listen and glean as much from you guys as i possibly can.  about all kinds of stuff, ..  and the forms is also a place i can get lots ideas, advice, input. 

Again, kudos for all the input on this topic, hope i did not come across poorly, if i did, sorry, not my intention, as i feel it always necessary for everyone to voice how they feel, it shows me you guys care.   I just figured i had developed this skill and saw a use for it and wanted to discuss.

I will bring some scraps of rope if anyone wants to see how this is done, but its easy to google  and clark posted one of many that are on the net. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:45:54 AM by kent10sne1 »
Kent Casey

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 06:24:45 AM »
For feces and giggles, it would be nice to have a homemade winch line tested to ensure the connection at the thimble end held to at least the breaking strength of the line rating.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2014, 06:53:06 AM »
For feces and giggles, it would be nice to have a homemade winch line tested to ensure the connection at the thimble end held to at least the breaking strength of the line rating.

Agree, just need to figure out where/ how much etc...
Kent Casey

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM