BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Hardtop or Softop - which is easier to sell  (Read 345 times)

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
Hardtop or Softop - which is easier to sell
« on: December 08, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »
I work with a guy that traded his 2013 JKUR with the hardtop.  He still has the premium sunrider softop though.

He is asking $1000 for the softop but would take the first $800 cash.  A guy on GL wants to trade him a 2014 Hardtop for the Softop straight up.  I think he should trade because he could get $1200 for the hardtop easy.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:34:01 AM by BigMike »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Hardtop or Softop - which is easier to sell
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:37:16 PM »
I would do that trade and then sell the hard top.

He's not getting $1K for the soft top...he's not getting $800 either.  I bought mine for 400.  He might get 5 for it.

I sold my hard top for 1300

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »

He's not getting $1K for the soft top...he's not getting $800 either.  I bought mine for 400.  He might get 5 for it.

Thanks for the info Tony.  I thought the premium top would go for more.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:45:28 PM by BigMike »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 01:07:35 PM »

It could very well go for more.  Me personally, the premium top is much more of "convertible" type top.  Looks like a bitch to clean and doesn't look very capable of handling the woods. 

So yea,  mall crawler may pay more for it but I would be surprised if he got $800

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 01:28:25 PM »
Hmmm anyone want to buy a perfect hardtop?

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »

It could very well go for more.  Me personally, the premium top is much more of "convertible" type top.  Looks like a bitch to clean and doesn't look very capable of handling the woods. 

So yea,  mall crawler may pay more for it but I would be surprised if he got $800

When I ordered my 2014, I chose the 'Premium Sunrider Top' and thought it was just the sunrider part I was paying for.  Then I realized when it came in that it was the material.  My observations on the Premium vs. Standard.  Premium is MUCH quieter keeping wind and road noise out of the cabin.  It also cleans up like new.  The vinyl top on my '09 had stains on it from clay/mud which doesn't happen to the premium top.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
I think the other top is dang quiet so would love to see a decibel comparison on the net. 

I'm with Tony that the Furbe top looks like it would stain and be hard to clean, but you are saying the opposite is in fact the case.  That's awesome!

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »

Premium is MUCH quieter keeping wind and road noise out of the cabin.  It also cleans up like new.  The vinyl top on my '09 had stains on it from clay/mud which doesn't happen to the premium top.

Very cool. He may be able to get close to his numbers for the soft top.  If the newer, premium top doesn't stain then that's pretty awesome.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
I have a dBm meter, but I suspect a cell phone application can do the same thing.  Let me know if I need to bring it to a GATR event for testing.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »
Very cool. He may be able to get close to his numbers for the soft top.  If the newer, premium top doesn't stain then that's pretty awesome.

I was a little freaked out when I picked up the Jeep last November thinking that I made a big mistake getting that top.  It's had gobs of mud on it (like from the water hole at Hale LOL) and it washes right off.  I actually only wash the top a couple, just the windows. 

PyratM

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
I have the premium top on my 10A and it is very easy to clean. If someone wants to trade a hardtop for his soft top, I would do it in a heartbeat. If he passes on the deal, get me the hardtop guys contact info. I'll take him up on it.

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
Just to note 303 Aerospace protectant sprays on / wipe off and cleans up vinyl tops very well.  I've had problems getting mud and light mold off (when I kept my JK outdoors and it rained alot) and after washing this stuff did the trick. 
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM