BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Bad Ass Rigs  (Read 1335 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Bad Ass Rigs
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »
Thought we had a HOPE scholarship in GA.

Sounds great, but not so fsst....
The Zell Miller pays all tutition, maybe even books, no room and board,top scholars only

The Hope pays a portion of tuition for those with 3.0 and higher I believe, about 20% of the cost of going away to college

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 11:22:31 AM »

The Zell Miller pays all tutition, maybe even books, no room and board,top scholars only

The Hope pays a portion of tuition for those with 3.0 and higher I believe, about 20% of the cost of going away to college
Yep...10% to support sports programs, 10% for student services, 10% for other fees, such as parking structures.  Then they have to eat and sleep...in penthouse apartments....crazy cost to get a low wage job.  Make sure they don't choose anything outside of STEM.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »

Zell Miller Hope does not pay all the tuition.  Hayden has the Zell.  It pays a higher percentage than the regular Hope.

Neither pays books.

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:43 AM »

Zell Miller Hope does not pay all the tuition.  Hayden has the Zell.  It pays a higher percentage than the regular Hope.

Neither pays books.

https://www.gafutures.org/media/177813/faqs-hope-zm-scholarship-122116.pdf

Web site says Zell pays full tuition. 

IMO, kids need to have skin in the game and should pay for part of their education. 

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »

HOPE helps, but as Doug notes it's a small portion of the overall cost.  The student must have a 3.0 or higher and then Hope will pay up to $2,280 per semester for 15 credit hours.  As an example, Eric's fall 2016 tuition only was $2,660 for 15 credit hours and HOPE paid $2,280 (which I'll take).  However, his overall costs for the fall were in excess of $10k.  Every little bit helps.

Put another way, it still is shelling out a set of 1 ton built axles in the spring and fall of each year.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2017, 12:05:09 PM »

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
As a non-parent, I'm wondering how college is budgeted for kids.  Are the kids given a budget per year and they have to manage to that?  Like what school, where they live, what they eat, car/no car, entertainment????  Major decided before going to college?  529 savings so the money is there by the time they go to college?

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:19:20 PM by BigMike »

Online jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:54 PM »
As a non-parent, I'm wondering how college is budgeted for kids.  Are the kids given a budget per year and they have to manage to that?  Like what school, where they live, what they eat, car/no car, entertainment????  Major decided before going to college?  529 savings so the money is there by the time they go to college?

For us we started saving for the kids college when they were born (I'm sure you find this surprising knowing me).  I have 529 plans for Eric and Sarah and also a designated college savings account.  When we started looking at Colleges, Joanne and I sat down with Eric and outlined what financial support we were willing to provide.  Anything over and above that, he would need to take loans.  It was a healthy discussion and it armed him with data around what was really important to him.  My ongoing deal with Eric is that we will pay his tuition if he maintains his 3.0+ GPA for HOPE.  If he loses HOPE, he is on the hook to pay that portion of tuition.  I know it is an individual/family decision about how much support you are willing to provide. 
John
Tube chassis/buggy

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »
We need 529's for Jeeps

Offline patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 12:34:12 PM »

My wife and I started two 529 plans shortly after when we got married 6.5 years ago with the assumption we'd have 2 kids. Just had our first and would like to think we'll have enough to cover her when she's old enough.

Our goal is that she will be smart enough and make wise decisions so that her tuition is covered without our assistance and that the money can then be gifted to her. If she's dumb like me, I hope we can have everything covered through 2 decades of saving and that she can start her professional career without burdening debt.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Bad Ass Rigs
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »

Neither pays books.

https://www.gafutures.org/media/177813/faqs-hope-zm-scholarship-122116.pdf

Web site says Zell pays full tuition. 

IMO, kids need to have skin in the game and should pay for part of their education.

That is incorrect based on my direct experience.  Could be that the bill Hayden received also had fees, etc on there that the Zell didn't cover.  He does not live on campus so there are no dorm fees on his bill. 

All I know is he has the Zell Hope and it does not cover his entire tuition bill.

Kids earn the Hope scholarship, it doesn't come for free,takes hard work . That is skin in the game in my book.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:46:56 PM by tcdawg »

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM