BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: New toy for my toy  (Read 878 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Visitor
Re: New toy for my toy
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
I don't remember what the company is, but I'm sure you can find it without much troubles.  There is a company that makes on-contact electrical connections.  When the door is shut, they'll touch, and you'll have power to your speakers, door locks, etc, etc, etc.  When you open the door, the connection is broken, so you could easily take the door off without wires being a problem.

That would be sweet!  That should be pretty easy to fab as well with some electrical parts from Fry's.  Thanks for the idea!

A lot of hot rodders use them for a clean look when the doors are open a car show. Also, some of the minivans use them on the sliding doors. I'll try to find a link for you. I was going to get some for the Mustang but never got around to it.
- Jimmy
I'm thinkin' with my dipstick!

Chris Hyde

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 05:33:59 PM »
I don't remember what the company is, but I'm sure you can find it without much troubles.  There is a company that makes on-contact electrical connections.  When the door is shut, they'll touch, and you'll have power to your speakers, door locks, etc, etc, etc. 

Until you open your door and have no speaker, no door locks and no control over the windows.  :D

Offline GIJoe4500

• Visitor
    • San Antonio Offroad
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 07:16:49 PM »
If anyone wants to make some quick disconnect pins for a truck, all you really have to do is cut out the hinge, get one of those long bolts with the threads only on the last half inch or so. (make sure the smooth part of the bolt is long enough to go all the way through both sides of the hinge).  Then cut off the threaded part, and bevel the edge of the bolt.  Then drill a hole to put a cotter pin through.  Then when you wanna take your doors off, just pull the cotter pins, pull the bolts, and TA DA!  No more doors.

You may have to drill out the hinge pin holes a tiny bit more for the bolt to go through though. 

You don't have to buy any special pins, or hinges or anything.  You can use the stock ones.  And if you are worried about messin' them up, go buy some stock ones from a junkyard to build them out of.  It insanely easy.
3" body lift, 6" ProComp suspension lift, toolbox, 36x15.50 Dick Cepek Mud Countrys, 4x4 conversion in progress

Offline GIJoe4500

• Visitor
    • San Antonio Offroad
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 07:38:37 PM »

3" body lift, 6" ProComp suspension lift, toolbox, 36x15.50 Dick Cepek Mud Countrys, 4x4 conversion in progress

fatrat

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
If anyone wants to make some quick disconnect pins for a truck, all you really have to do is cut out the hinge, get one of those long bolts with the threads only on the last half inch or so. (make sure the smooth part of the bolt is long enough to go all the way through both sides of the hinge).  Then cut off the threaded part, and bevel the edge of the bolt.  Then drill a hole to put a cotter pin through.  Then when you wanna take your doors off, just pull the cotter pins, pull the bolts, and TA DA!  No more doors.

You may have to drill out the hinge pin holes a tiny bit more for the bolt to go through though. 

You don't have to buy any special pins, or hinges or anything.  You can use the stock ones.  And if you are worried about messin' them up, go buy some stock ones from a junkyard to build them out of.  It insanely easy.

That is what I did to all 4 doors of my 95 XJ but I was too lazy this time.  I would rather just bolt these new hinges on. ;D

Offline GIJoe4500

• Visitor
    • San Antonio Offroad
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »
Haha that works.  I'm all about savin' some money though!  Especially when its somethin' fairly simple to do.

fatrat

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
Haha that works.  I'm all about savin' some money though!  Especially when its somethin' fairly simple to do.

Dude, I am usually the king of cheap when it comes to mods (ask my wife)!

fatrat

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
They didn't arrive this weekend like fedex.com showed. :bs)  Hopefully they will get delivered tomorrow so I can throw them on before Friday!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM