BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: How safe is your job?  (Read 1081 times)

BigJerm

How safe is your job?
« on: November 12, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
So with the companies going under and layoffs going on just about everywhere, how is your job/company doing? What would you do if you lost your job?

At my job we are cutting expenses everywhere possible. Anything from UPS, office supplies, paper usage, moving to an office building corporate owns instead of renting. I know a few here and there positions have been eliminated but it sounds like they moved those people around in the company. Megan’s job seems pretty safe. I mean the girl has been working 6 days a week non stop past few weeks, some weeks 7 days.

If I lost my job… assuming I was laid off, first thing is to get on the government check. Hate to say it but yep, unemployment for me. I am sure I would get a small severence (sp) package but it wont be much since I have been here a little less than 3 years now. Second is get rid of the JK. Probably just call the loan company and tell them to come and get it because no one is going to buy this Jeep for my payoff. Third is tear up the job application process… I have no shame, I will be a trash man for all I care so I will apply like its going out of style. If all else fails, I guess lose some weight and hello Marines, just follow in my dad's footsteps.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: How safe is your job?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
Well to be in a market of want and not need... our business has done great this year. We are a little over a million up from last year. Not bad.
I've grown tired of this.

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »
Not bad. We are in the home improvement industry so not the best field BUT last month we did hit our numbers for the first time in a short while

Offline yellowxj

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 03:59:08 PM »
Getting used to the term "over qualified" or for instance, applying for a job as a surveyors helper only to find out that many of the applicants are full fledge surveyors looking for a job.
I hope I get to trail ride this year.

mdo817

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Seeing how we have outsourced a lot of our work out of the country I would probably go back to school and let the government pay for a portion of it. Work partime in a machine shop and rub the wifes feet regular so maybe she would let me be out of work for a while. I may have to quit my job though if the try and send me to Minnesota.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:28:17 PM »
Considering the business were in I would say not very. They of course cut all temps first thing. 7 people have been let go in our location.

But I think the only way I have anything to worry about is if the whole company tanks which is always a possibility. I just went to 50 hours a week before the bailouts, and have tons of work to do. Plus I am one of the veterans here, so I better see the last hired, be the first fired.

If I do loose my job. I will start by crying, then get that government bail out, look for jobs all over the US and think about moving. Jessica's job should be pretty safe. I dont think teachers are to effected by the economy.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

IFSSUX

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
i am a network admin for an office supply company so for me to loose my job the company would have to go under which shouldnt happen since as long as there are people doing work they will need our copy machines and stuff. if we go under then there wont be any jobs anywhere in our area.....

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
I think most of us are in the same boat.  Do a good job, and be a valuable team player for the boss, and you'll survive the cuts.  The dead wood goes first, and then those you can live without.  I hope the new year brings a turn around for all of you.  And me too. ;)

Offline StevenH

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
My boss layed 5 people off last friday, just trimming some fat he claimed. We've already done a $12mil job this year, in the middle of doing more work. He built a house that cost him $3mil

If it gets bad enough maybe he will sell his house and keep paying us  :D

I'm guaranteed a minimum salary. for now at least...

It's hard for anyone to tell where they sit on the totem pole, you could think you are at the top and be the first cut from the team because the guy going unnoticed flew under the radar

All that said, I'm halfway confident that my job is safe

It's funny you mention this, I picked up the newspaper this morning and looked in the classifieds at the employment section and there was maybe 10 jobs total in there when there are usually 3 or 4 pages of them. Times are getting tough, thats for sure
bolt-ons suck

urdaddyjeep

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 09:06:45 PM »
not sure have to see what the new Pres of the company has to say... we might do the down size thing again.. if that happens then i will be on the choppin block... hate being that middle guy.. if it does happen i got another job lined up... Welcome to Wal Mart do you need a buggie..

ghostdancer308

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »
If you have seen the movie "The Kingdom" with Jamie Fox and Jennifer Garner you would have the classic answer. I try to live by it myself. Its when the State Department guy is speaking with the FBI director. "I wake up everyday knowing this could be my last at my position and status. So if it happens, I am not suprised and ...oh well". That is my take/spin on it. Always have a backdoor. Even if it does stop your ability to lift that jeep!!LOL!!

Diehard

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 02:35:42 PM »
The railroad, CSX, is doing ok. Some revenues are down, but overall I'm not worried. I'm thinking of retiring next year in April.
More time to go offroading!!!!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM