BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Motorcycle advice  (Read 576 times)

BigJerm

Motorcycle advice
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Its time to get one. Been wanting 1 for years and then Megan bought me an intro class for my birthday and I loved it. Instructor said I did great and let me ride laps around Lakewood while everyone else did start/stop clutch drills. Got my permit today, plan to take the class to get my license and learn more. Then it will be time for a bike. Looking for suggestions, no hurry, hopefully buy in the fall.

I am 6'5", 250 lbs, drive a stick shift so clutch is no big deal, mountain bike so got the balance/lean thing, ridden a few friends street bikes but not much. No street bikes for me, probably no dual sports so cruisers. Plan is saddle bags, sissy bar, windshield, a bike set up to travel when I want to and with Megan. Looking to spend no more than $6k, prefer under $5k. So far I am looking at:

-Honda VTX1300
-Honda shawdo Sabre 1100
-Yamaha Vstar 1100

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
Re: Motorcycle advice
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:58:39 PM »
Honestly you'll probalbly want something bigger than that. Cruisers are not like sport bikes when you're talking about engine size. You're a big guy. Add the fact that you'll be having someone riding with you most of the time. The last thing you'll want when riding around in the mountains is to be underpowered. I'd be looking at a Yamaha 1900 roadliner, but The best thing you can do is go to WOW & sit on every cruiser you like, then go buy it somewhere else. That place is way over priced.
Perry

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
Only sport bike that ever fit me was the busa. I missed my shot at one but will have one some day. Us big guys have few choices when it comes to bikes that fir us... comfortably.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline GusaGus

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »
id be sure to sit on as many bikes as you can.  they all have different feels to them.  i started out wanting a harley night rod, sat on it and hated the way it felt.  ended up sitting on about 10 different bikes before i bought my fat boy lo.  i'll also agree with the motor size on crusiers vs sport bikes.  your going to need a lot bigger motor for a crusier, mine is a 96in motor and now it's not enough for me, thinking of getting a big bore kit and punch it out to a 103in.  well as soon as i get it out of the body shop from wreaking it last week,
98 TJ
3.5" lift
locked and locked
36" iroks on bead locks
custom cage and more

ghostdancer308

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:41:28 PM »
...don't buy one...

BigJerm

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »
PR I have heard WOW is over priced but I have also heard from a lot that it has great prices. Good news is I am in 0 hurry to buy so I can shop around as long as needed.

G?

Offline Richmon

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:28:53 PM »
I would look at the Sport Tourer category.  Something like a Yamaha FJR1300 or Honda ST1300.  These fit large guys and you can travel for days on them.

Offline fourwheelinaj

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
Like everyone says - you really have to plant the rear to find out which one fits you.

After figuring out which one worked for me, found a really great deal on Craig's list.  They had a great bike but needed out of the payment.

Love the VTX

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: Motorcycle advice
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:13:49 PM »
I would advise to wait until you are old and your children are grown. Then go for it!

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

ranger11

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 10:25:46 PM »
I disagree with Doug I got my first one at 19 and sold it when I was 25. I got smart. The others on the road is 99% why I sold mine. There is no way I would even think about riding everyday if I lived north of the border like you.

BigJerm

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
Luck has it my commute is short Richard  {toast}

Doug I got no kids, no plans to have any in the near future (wife agrees with this as well) so waiting for them to grow up is not there.

Some friends are urging me to try the larger dual sport bikes... who knows. Like I said, I am in no hurry on this adventure.

Offline prjohnson

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
I disagree with Doug I got my first one at 19 and sold it when I was 25. I got smart. The others on the road is 99% why I sold mine. There is no way I would even think about riding everyday if I lived north of the border like you.

Same here, got mine at 18...in fact I maxed out two credit cards to get it  ;D  I stick to dirt now.
Perry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM