BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: The Great V8 Debate  (Read 957 times)

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Re: Anybody know anything about this jeep?
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »
Torque would have a factor if there was a bigger difference or if the 4 cyl was way under powered. The point is it has plenty of torque to turn the size tires that are on it, so I think you will have to go more off your final crawl ratio. I have driven alot of 4.0s and 2 rubicons. The only one I felt a real difference (Crawling) in was the Rubicon for obvious reasons. How many 2.5s have you driven, your welcome to take mine for a spin the next time we are at a park and crawl your heart out, I think your opinion will change.

Also I think your missing the point, I am not debating that the 4.0 is superior, I think it is only marginally superior and not worth the money and time for a swap when compared to what is in the vehicle now. If the money and time is going to be spent it will be on a V8. Most stock V8, are not way over powered, but have plenty of potential. I would want a V8 for the cool factor and speed on the road, not on the rocks. You can still wheel with finesse with a V8.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »
In my opinion, the inline 6 is one of the best motors ever built. Bullet proof and dependable and plenty of power. No, never driven a 4cyl, I believe what you say, not debating that. Just stating that the 4.0 is a better motor IMO than the 4cyl. It might not be a rockstar compared to the 4, but I would rather have the 6 if I had a choice. I know your jeep came with the 4, so no choice in that, but wonder if your opinion would be the same if it was a 6? As for the v8 comment from bjeep, yeah, would love to have it!! But I do not have the skills, time or $ to do a swap like that. Would I if I could... more than likely, no. I am completely happy with my 6. My wheeling style fits it perfectly. It has power when I need it and I am not one to bounce the rev limiter much. I guess my point to this is, I think the majority of guys running a 6 are completely happy with it's performance and most have no plans on swapping one. Matt, I value your opinions on stuff like this and as I stated, I could be blown away if I drove yours around for a bit. But for me and my Jeep, we will have the 6 ;D
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
I got you, but I WILL put you behind the wheel of mine next time we meet. It will be apples to apples offroad and will keep up on the highway. Until I can afford a V8, I am satisfied with what mine has been given.  Also I think most of the V8 swaps I seen on pirate are from 4.0L jeeps and some also a few from 2.5L. They both blow equally in my opinion or they both can be equally satisfying & dependable for daily driving/weekend warrioring.  I just wouldnt swap one for the other, either way.   {cheers2}

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

JROLIN

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
Ive had 6 Jeep vehicles with a 6 cyl. A worthwhile upgrade if you dont have it.

Ive had 1 Jeep with a 4 cyl. Worst motor ever made.  Sold the vehicle within a month of purchase.

{poke}

A 4 banger should be in a Jeep just as much as chrome accessories.  {peek}

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:52 PM »
A worthwhile upgrade if you dont have it.

</LMAO/>

I had a 4 cyl mustang once, I wonder if I should have spent the same money & time putting a V6 in it instead of a V8  :hlp
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:18:52 PM by Matt »

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Re: The Great V8 Debate
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
My old Jeep was a 4-banger.  Not a great highway performer but with 5.13 gears it was a quite decent crawler.  A benefit was that I was less likely to break anything in the drivetrain.  Were I to buy a TJ today I'd want the 4.0.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline ACGiddens

• Visitor
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 01:14:35 AM »
First off i think this is hilarious where this conversation has went...

Second, Mustangs should never be anything but v8's

Third, Matt's making a point, not saying the 2.5 is better than the 4.0. But There is no point in upgrading if it does not make a considerable difference. when you factor in time and cost you might as well do what you want and not just what works.

But I think I speak for most when I say most people would choose the 4.0 over 2.5 if they had the option.

Adam G
The Jeep list:
TJ stock - gone
JK stock - gone
YJ 6" 35s mostly stock - gone
XJ 6.5" LA 35s D44 - RIPieces
XJ - 6.5" LA 35s - gone
TJ - In progress

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:52 AM »
First off i think this is hilarious where this conversation has went...

Second, Mustangs should never be anything but v8's

Third, Matt's making a point, not saying the 2.5 is better than the 4.0. But There is no point in upgrading if it does not make a considerable difference. when you factor in time and cost you might as well do what you want and not just what works.

But I think I speak for most when I say most people would choose the 4.0 over 2.5 if they had the option.

</BEER/>
I've grown tired of this.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM