BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Linked Events

• HARLEN, KY * CORE RIDE: August 18, 2012 - August 19, 2012

Author Topic: GATR Core Harlan KY August 2012 Discussion/Pictures  (Read 63706 times)

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
Re: GATR Core Harlan KY August 16-19th Discussion
« Reply #264 on: August 04, 2012, 06:40:14 PM »
Nice! All ready!

off grid post
I've grown tired of this.

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2012, 12:15:40 AM »
OK, I know I should have probably done this before I got all excited about this trip, but I have been watching a  bunch of Harlan YouTube videos tonight....and....Oh, Boy! 

So, are you guys saying there are some milder (I know this is relative!) trails, too?  I've got 35s (KM2s) now on the 4Runner, though, so that should help with ground clearance and getting onto those bigger rocks,  but I don't have the articulation up front with my IFs, ya know.  Locked front and rear with 5.29 gears, though.

And, can you ride up to some of those obstacles and go around, or are they single-track, so-to-speak?  Mason Jar was one and pinch rock, I saw a waterfall too, that looked pretty awesome.  I'm game to try bigger stuff now, just don't want to put it top-down, not having a cage and all.  Scratches and dents OK, caved in passenger compartment, not so much.

Like you've said in other posts, we can break into more than one group if it warrants it.  I don't want to slow anyone down, either.  Just looking for some reassurances, I guess. *hold me*    ;D
Jason

I'd like to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline RD Slyter

• Visitor
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »

Yeah man, I'm in the same boat. And yes there are lots of trails up there which are far less nuts. That said, we can definately ride together. If I'm not mistaken' I think David's gona ride B group also. I definately feel ya in that I don't wana be "that guy" who has to get pulled all over the mountain. All I gota do is pick up a trail map when we get up there to recon which ones we want to hit up. Either way, it's gona be a  blast!!    //SLAMIN// 

BTW ...... 10 days, 10 hours, and 35 minutes, and some seconds to go!!!  </TJ/>
Ryan and Dawn Slyter; Grafenwhere Germany

BigJerm

« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »
I am going to be honest Jason... I think you can take that thing just about anywhere we went last year! Mason Jar actually has a few lines and I am sure the youtube video showed the badass ones. The only worry I would have on mason jar and your rig is the roof rack. From what I remember there is 1, maybe 2, spots where the pitch of the trail and rocks get you off camber towards a tree. First time I ran it I came close to my soft top, second time I got the soft top (but didnt tear) on the tree. Part of my problem was probably my line as there are much taller rigs here who didn't hit the tree but came close.

When we went last year Lawton had his 4 door JK on I think just a 2 or 2.5" budget boost and Rubi 32's, no lockers, no side rails and he took that down every trail the rest of us did and only suffered a dent on his rocker panel.

Breaking into 2 groups is no issue as said before. Just everyone needs to make sure they have a CB, it works, and plan to buy a map. Also be ready for the unexpected because some of the trail ratings are a little off IMO.

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:10 AM »
^^^
Jason, Jeremy hit right on the head. I've seen your rig and you'll have a blast there.

I think the one area right at the entrance to Mason Jar will be a close to your rack due to the off camber but with the right line you'll be fine.

Enjoy!!!

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
I am going to be honest Jason... I think you can take that thing just about anywhere we went last year! Mason Jar actually has a few lines and I am sure the youtube video showed the badass ones. The only worry I would have on mason jar and your rig is the roof rack. From what I remember there is 1, maybe 2, spots where the pitch of the trail and rocks get you off camber towards a tree. First time I ran it I came close to my soft top, second time I got the soft top (but didnt tear) on the tree. Part of my problem was probably my line as there are much taller rigs here who didn't hit the tree but came close.

When we went last year Lawton had his 4 door JK on I think just a 2 or 2.5" budget boost and Rubi 32's, no lockers, no side rails and he took that down every trail the rest of us did and only suffered a dent on his rocker panel.

Breaking into 2 groups is no issue as said before. Just everyone needs to make sure they have a CB, it works, and plan to buy a map. Also be ready for the unexpected because some of the trail ratings are a little off IMO.

Well, that makes me feel a lot better. I just didn't want to go all that way and not be able to run much.

The project list is getting shorter, but still some stuff to do before next week. Want to get a fresh alignment now that I have the bigger tires under there, too.

Ok, NOW I'm excited! ;D
Jason

2001 Jeep TJ, Cooper STT Pro 35s, 4.56s, D30 Spartan front, D44 ARB rear,Fender armor, sliders

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2012, 11:48:04 AM »
All you guys and your fully running rigs are killing me. Jason, we need to see some pics with the new meat {spank}
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline RedDragonATL

• GATR STAFF
« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »
All you guys and your fully running rigs are killing me. Jason, we need to see some pics with the new meat {spank}

Ask and ye shall receive...

Oh, and here's the link to the thread where I re-painted my old, stock 4Runner wheels to mount these to.  It's on the 4Runner forum.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/performance-zone-tires-wheels-exhaust-superchargers-more/119164-my-old-4runner-wheels-repainted-wrapped-315-75-16-km2s.html

I'm sure they won't look this nice for long (the wheels), but I can enjoy them for a while (til next week, prolly!)
Jason

Offline tazstoy

• Visitor
« Reply #272 on: August 06, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
Looks good  </ROCKIN/>
Todd, Marie  and son goes by Tim or Timothy

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »
Very nice. Looks like a beast  </ARMATA/>