BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Gulches Apr 6th  (Read 5170 times)

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
Gulches Apr 6th
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »
Well you guys saw my JK "mangotango" last weekend, I'd like to ride out to Gulches and learn more with some experienced drivers, should I expect to be able to do alot on their "red" level trails without risk of serious damage- open/open diff.  I'll add disconnects before I go.  I was pretty tweaked out at the top of Bell mountain but now I can't stop thinking about it so I guess I'm hooked now.
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
Re: Gulches Apr 6th
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 07:35:55 AM »
Yes you can still have a lot of gun at Gulches. It's an awesome park
Bobby

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
Theres a lot of trails you can ride at Gulches. We had a lot of fun there last year. I would do the go around and watch the other people. You don't have to run with the big dogs!
Mike

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 08:04:54 AM »
Gulches is a small but very fun park and has trails and rocks for all levels of drivers and rigs.  If you get your disconnects on you will find A LOT of stuff to do at Gulches and the areas you choose not to do will almost always have bypasses and/or a place where you can watch others.  It is an easy park to get around and really have fun.

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 10:04:04 AM »

{agree}

One of the best "all around" parks for everybody to enjoy! You will not be sliding all over the place like you did @ Bell Mtn. Gulches is mostly rock and obstacles. I really recommend going on this ride!! The Morris Mountain ride will be great too! Morris Mountain is a little more difficult when wet, but the more rides you go on the more experience you get {cheers2}

Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
Love Gulches! Skip will take you on a tour as well. Make sure you try some of the things you might otherwise be weary of. Got to try to learn and progress in this sport!
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:43:13 AM »
I learned a good bit on the Gulches ride last year....1,2,3 GO!!  Haha
Jay

Offline kent10sne1

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 02:43:56 PM »
I went to gulches last year, no lockers, only think i had was disconnects, and 33' tires.  i went about 98% of the same places everyone (uber rigs) went.  its a fun park, lots of trails. and stuff to do..  the nite ride was super fun.
Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2012. //SKULL//
Kent Casey
37 PitBull Rocker's on ATX AX756 beadlock wheels
3.5FOX RESERVOIR COIL-OVER CONVERSION,5.13 Gears/Eaton Rear Locker
AtlasII 4.3.1 Dynatrac ProRock 44 Front Axle
MC Fenders & Sliders upgraded skids
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php/topic,15401.372.html

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
I'd like to go also,but plan on having lockers in by then and maybe a engine mod or two also
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline Trail Duty

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 08:45:46 PM »
I went to Gulches last year as well. I was open in the front with just an LSD in the rear and managed to keep up with most of the guys. There are bypasses to a lot of the really tough obstacles, all in all a great place. I definitely recommend the discos for this park though, last time I was there I didn't disconnect and as a result got a bit tippy on one of the descents, 2 wheels = no fun. I managed to do two black trails on the tour with Skip as well. Great fun  </ROCKIN/>
David - 2011 Flame Red JKU

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:47:23 PM »
With disconnects you will find out how much open/open sucks. Since you have the ability to flex, that tire that has the least amount of traction will receive most of the power since there is less resistance to turn the tire. In return the tire that has traction will see half the amount of power that one spinning tire receives. A locker of some sort will make a huge difference.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
With disconnects you will find out how much open/open sucks. Since you have the ability to flex, that tire that has the least amount of traction will receive most of the power since there is less resistance to turn the tire. In return the tire that has traction will see half the amount of power that one spinning tire receives. A locker of some sort will make a huge difference.

If you are going to run open/open you are better off disconnected. Flexed axles allow the  wheels to move to the dirt or rocks better. But yes, when one tire loses resistance, the open dif will send more power to it, making it spin more when it actually has less traction.

A locked axle is the way to go.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM