BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: If you could go back in time......  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
Regearing both axles would be less than $1000. 241 + driveshaft + 1310/1330 U-joint for front shaft would be worst case $1300. For that money you could just install a tera low kit in the 231 and keep your driveshafts.

Not going to lie... thought it cost a lot more than that to regear. I figured it was in the 1300-1400 range. I also know I can sell my 231 but for no more than 300 probably

And you may not need master installs, but with the sale, I am pretty sure you have to get a ring & pinion plus master install to get the free covers which are nice.  They could be resold for $100 each.  G2 covers have a drain plug in the bottom and are aluminum or iron. I have zero noise from the G2 gears and would buy again. Just keep an eye out for the good deals.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

Whats labor cost these days on regear?

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
A few post back but, you can get it as low as 200 per axle

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I have saw two where the cases broke and one that the insides was so badly damaged that it looked like a bomb went off inside it. Those three and the other stuff I read about on the net kept me form buying one and just saving up till I could get the 241or.

The case is pure beef on the 241or.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 04:11:20 PM by lt99ls1 »
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

BigJerm

A few post back but, you can get it as low as 200 per axle

Well just damn. I have been avoiding it for so long. Ill wait to truckfest, they always seem to be throwing around deals on G2 stuff and axle shafts...

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
 </LMAO/>
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
I put it off until I had two different axle under the jeep. Then I just bit the bullet. I dont regret it at all. I definitely would do that over T/C first.

Now all this t/c talk has had me reading all day. I just remembered I have another 231 laying in the garage collecting dust. I want to stretch the rear, but didnt want to replace the rear driveshaft again, so I am thinking about picking up a box4rocks kit after tax time and building the super long 231/231 doubler. I think it is about 7" longer that whats in it now, which would put my rear stretch in the 7" range. I hate jeeps.

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BigJerm

I had found some website that claimed they made new gears and a thicker chain that would bring the 231 to the 4:1... I emailed and never heard back... site looked a little old school. Would love the 4:1 though! I dont see my jeep selling anytime soon, its always for the right price, but until then ill keep modding.

Kvom, pretty good point about the crawl ratio thing. We spend so much time in the dirt and mud that it is so rare to be on complete rock

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
I'll take gearing over a TC anyday. I have used the crawling ability to the best I can here in the south and would not want to be on anything else. I rarely am having to hit things with speed and cannot remember the last time I had to. Wheeling style dictates alot on how you want to build.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I'll take gearing over a TC anyday. I have used the crawling ability to the best I can here in the south and would not want to be on anything else. I rarely am having to hit things with speed and cannot remember the last time I had to. Wheeling style dictates alot on how you want to build.

That's why I ordered an atlas 4 speed for different conditions.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I am greedy. 5.38s and 4:1 tcase.  </ROCKIN/>
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
I am greedy. 5.38s and 4:1 tcase.  </ROCKIN/>

My 1 ton in a current build of that. 5.3, 5.38's, and 4 speed of 2.73, 3.8, and 10.37. I'll guess ill let it idle up a concrete wall at 10 low..lol.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM