BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Diff Question: Carrier bearing replacement  (Read 2807 times)

Offline LR Max

• Visitor
Diff Question: Carrier bearing replacement
« on: April 26, 2013, 06:28:41 PM »
Long story short, my truck is currently at a differential shop to try and get some slop out of the rear axle (which was determined to be in the rear locker...and no one will do anything about that  ::) ). Despite the fact that this shop looked in the rear diff last October, they now claim that the main carrier bearings are rusted and pitted.

Now I don't have that many miles on the truck since October...and they didn't see this before??

Here is the kicker. They want $600 to replace the rear carrier bearings. I just about fell over when I heard that. $300 in parts, $300 in labor.

Question: Reckon they are full of crap? If the rear bearings really are rusted, how much of a DIY is this? The rear fluid has been changed and monitored to make sure it isn't murky. It hasn't been.

Its a Dana-style axle and I've removed the 3rd member before myself. It is a bit of a bear but not completely impossible. I'm thinking of doing this myself. Can I just pull the 3rd member, replace the races and the bearings myself (well I'll have to have the bearings pressed on and off, but I think I can find a shop to do that for me for a couple of bucks)? Then check the lash and backlash myself and if need be, add in shims? I kinda have a feeling like it won't need much/not a lot.

Dunno, the $600 price tag was the straw that broke the camels back. Also I'm half tempted to just say eff it and keep running it. Obviously it hasn't been a problem up until now.

Oh and I guess I need to send an email to Detroit and find out why their locker is giving me 80 degrees of play in my rear axle...which it has been doing since for almost 10 years.

Sorry, I'm just at the end of my rope right now. The situation with my truck in the last year and a half has been one of incompetence by shops working on it. This just shoves the knife in deeper. Either way, doing it myself and having the truck apart for a month to do this seems to make a lot more sense than paying some idiot to get it wrong. At least when I mess up, it'll be justified.

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re: Re: Diff Question: Carrier bearing replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:10:46 PM »
What part of town are you located in. I know of a very reputable rear end shop that I could refer you to for a second opinion. They are big in the 4x4 scene, mainly mud trucks. They are one of the few that I would ever consider for a rear end repair.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Alex

JROLIN

Re: Diff Question: Carrier bearing replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Who is the shop that you dont feel is treating you properly ?

Offline LR Max

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:02:16 AM »
Drive Line Service of Atlanta. I know they do good work and have in the past but something is fishy here.

Offline tazstoy

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
Well I do gear work so I'll be the first to tell you it is something you can do you need the proper tools and a patience because if you try and rush and cut corners your setup will not be right and you will pay for it down the road. and if you do it and then just let it sit without rotating the gears to work the oil around you will have moisture build up on the metal inside the housing and then comes the rust. I have personally seen it happen.
Todd, Marie  and son goes by Tim or Timothy

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »
Moser Dana 60 carrier bearings are $65 /pair, so I wonder what other parts add up to $300.  New bearings need shims, but those are cheap.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:10:35 PM »
I have built many rear ends and transmissions thru the years and my question is,and this is just so I understand your problem,your saying you have a lot of slop in the rear end. Is this in the axle shafts or the driveline? If it's in the driveshaft the Carrier bearings would not have anything to do with that pitted or not. If there is slop in the driveshaft,lots of right and left rotation,then that would be a pinion issue not being set properly and should have been making a lot of noise. If it's in the axle shafts then that is most likely spider gears or axle splines. Of course it's hard to diagnois something without putting your hands on the chunk (rearend)
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

Offline LR Max

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:43:49 AM »
Good morning Bear,

The slack is in the locker. I've sent a request to Detroit (or their parent company, can't remember) for info on this.

That said, on the bearings, I've done my research. I can get new carrier bearings and races for ~$60 bucks, both of em. All I need is a press but I don't mind paying someone a few bucks for that. Should be able to do this myself for under $100 I think. Depending on what Detroit says, might even be able to actually FIX IT this time while the 3rd member is out!

Offline scottiebobbie

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »
Drive line service is high and always will be.......but do stand behind there work from my experiences w them

I would do carrier bearings in a third that was out for 75$ labor......and I'm a reputable shop in most circles

But the "slop" you speak of is either the Detroit being a Detroit and you don't like it or there is another problem

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 06:49:59 AM »

I would do carrier bearings in a third that was out for 75$ labor......and I'm a reputable shop in most circles

Agree!

Offline LR Max

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »
Drive line service is high and always will be.......but do stand behind there work from my experiences w them

But the "slop" you speak of is either the Detroit being a Detroit and you don't like it or there is another problem

Scott, I know you do good work. You did ball joints on my friends' F-250 a couple of years ago (also needed steering, but we were poor). Just wish you were closer! Your offer of $75 and have it done is extremely appealing.

I think you are right about the "detroit being a detroit". That is just the way this cow eats the grass but I thought I would ask detroit anyway just to see if there is anything that can be done about it. The worse they can say is, "no".

Offline bear991

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:51:45 PM »
Max not sure where you are but your welcome to use my press. I have a small portable one we took to motorcycle rallies to do wheel bearings with. Easily loads into a pickup or minivan, come get it,bring it back when your finished.
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do- The Duke

Bear

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM