BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Smart Phones - what do you have?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Smart Phones - what do you have?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
You guys are making it hard for me lol. I currently have a iPhone 4 with AT&T and am out of contract. My plan was to switch to sprint when the iPhone 5s comes out so I could have unlimited Internet but you guys are making the move more complicated. This is my first iPhone and I absolutely love it.

Swyped while swervin'
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline CaneJeep

• Visitor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
I have had the Blackberry, Samsung S2, Iphone 4s and Iphone 5.  The simplest and most durable is the blackberry, but it is too basic.  Since I am a PC guy, I find the Samsung the easiest to use, but is too unpredictable with the data usage and battery life.  I have decided that the Iphones have enough features and are more controllable so I will be sticking with them.
Jorge

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:04 AM »
I have the iPhone 5 with AT&T and live it. I have the iPhone 4S with Verizon for work and my opinion Verizon is not as good. I had the S3 for a few days and battery life and typing ability was horrible.
Bobby

BigJerm

Re: Re: Smart Phones - what do you have?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 10:58:02 AM »
Any questions feel free to ask. I am not an apple or droid junkie so I will straight shoot it. Both def are better/worse in some field so I guess it depends on how you use your phone. I will say I am impressed but the new multi-tasking on samsung s4 where you can have them split screen top and bottom.

Sent from S3

Offline Danny Kinder

• Danny Kinder
  • ADMINISTRATOR
    • Allsouth Autosports
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »
I've had both, but since I switched to Android a few years back I will never have another I-phone. They are way to limited! Just the open market or "play store" alone make it worth the change.
I have a Note II now. The only bad thing I could say is that I have been through 4 of them in 8 months because I keep breaking the screen!!! (probably all my fault). If I had an upgrade right now I would go with the S4 active. And yes it is a big phone, but that's why I got it. It is like a small tablet & since I use my phone as a computer half the time it's perfect!
Danny Kinder
HEISENBERG BUILD

Offline Michigunman

• Visitor
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 12:35:34 PM »
I'm another that just traded my iPhone 4S to go back to Android.  I really wasn't planning on getting a new phone but wife needed one.  Long story short is that Sprint has several phones "buy one get one free".  The GS4 was $199 after rebate.  I didn't even realize I was eligible for an upgrade as well.  So they gave me $150 trade in on my iPhone and we walked out with 2 GS4's for $50.

The Motorola Moto X might be worth taking a look at as well.  Not sure what carriers have it.  I know it's coming to Sprint "soon".
Mark
2003 TJ Sport with some mods
1998 TJ with more mods

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 12:49:21 PM »
You guys are making it hard for me lol. I currently have a iPhone 4 with AT&T and am out of contract. My plan was to switch to sprint when the iPhone 5s comes out so I could have unlimited Internet but you guys are making the move more complicated. This is my first iPhone and I absolutely love it.

Swyped while swervin'

I have the 5Gb limit on Verizon, but I have only come close to reaching it once.  I uploaded a 15 minute video and watched it from Facebook ( //WTF//; hungover from the night before).  I stream Pandora almost every day for a few hours a day and, of course, surf the web, but I never cross the 2Gb mark anymore.  Perhaps if I had unlimited I might watch videos more frequently, but that isn't likely.  I'm saying all of this to say, if your only reason for going with Sprint is to get the unlimited service, make sure you are actually going to cross some of the other service provider's limits. 

I had Sprint for roughly 6 years with consistent service.  BTW, while on Sprint, I could consistently experience missing signal which led to roaming and I could also experience consistent dropped calls.  So, consistency isn't always a good thing.  Now that I'm on Verizon, I will consistently avoid Sprint. 

If I could control my smart phone destiny instantly, I would get the S4 active from AT&T, but I'm stuck with the S3 and Verizon for several years due to company policy. :(

Good luck.

PS:  A guy at work had a Droid, but he switched to Iphone4 a few months back...he isn't an Apple disciple, but he does have most of the Apple ecosystem at home.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

BigJerm

Re: Re: Smart Phones - what do you have?
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 06:55:59 AM »
Found out yesterday I had an update. Now my S3 has split screen multi tasking (only supported by some apps for now). Looks like it added 1 or 2 new motion actions to control the phone and a predictable keyboard. It also added a feature you can turn on where the phone will periodically use the front camera and if it sees you looking at the screen it wont turn off.

But had to use skype lastnight... I miss facetime

Sent from S3

Offline Oscar_Mike 2013

• Oscar Mike OG
  • Visitor
  • We might be friends, but I will still correct you!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:15 PM »
I'm an iPhone addict for life. With that being said, the "open" market is really only great if you are a developer. For those that don't know how to write code or create apps, then the difference between 900,000 apps on iTunes or 850,000 on Android Market really doesn't matter.
It mostly comes down to how you are going to use the phone. What I like about the iPhone is that it's user friendliness. It's intuitive and easy to comprehend. And for every upgrade in phone, from iPhone 3 up to the iPhone 5, they all run the same. With the Android phones, you have so many different phones that are on the market and they all work differently.

Many people hate that Apple is so proprietary, but if you think about it, they are far less likely to be hacked, unless you jailbreak it, than any "open platform" phone.

Plus, Apple's new iOS coming out this fall will completely change the iPhone interface, with a ton of new features.
Check out the keynote from Apple about it.  It's long so scroll through it towards the end.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qzUH9PJA1Ro&autoplay=1&desktop_uri=%252Fwatch%253Fv%253DqzUH9PJA1Ro%2526autoplay%253D1
So new to this that I don't even know what to ask!!!!
Richard Russell

Offline Lhub36

• Visitor
  • Nope wasn't me
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:43:19 PM »
I have a Galaxy S2 on straight talk and love it. Just wish the battery life was longer.
Lenn

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:05 AM »
Hmm, this comment, "And for every upgrade in phone, from iPhone 3 up to the iPhone 5, they all run the same." doesn't seem to jive with this comment, "Plus, Apple's new iOS coming out this fall will completely change the iPhone interface..."

It is a shame, IMHO, that Apple mucked with the physical connectors on the iPhone when they went to the 5.  I do like having USB standard on my phone vs a proprietary interface, especially if the company is going to change the proprietary interface from phone-to-phone.

I agree, the app world doesn't matter much.

Clark
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Oscar_Mike 2013

• Oscar Mike OG
  • Visitor
  • We might be friends, but I will still correct you!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Hmm, this comment, "And for every upgrade in phone, from iPhone 3 up to the iPhone 5, they all run the same." doesn't seem to jive with this comment, "Plus, Apple's new iOS coming out this fall will completely change the iPhone interface..."

It is a shame, IMHO, that Apple mucked with the physical connectors on the iPhone when they went to the 5.  I do like having USB standard on my phone vs a proprietary interface, especially if the company is going to change the proprietary interface from phone-to-phone.

I agree, the app world doesn't matter much.

Clark
That was a typo. iPhone 4/4s/5 all run on the same iOS. The new iOS coming in the fall will be a complete change for the iPhones, but they will all still be able to download the new iOS, so they will run on the same platform.  That's what I meant to say.
So new to this that I don't even know what to ask!!!!
Richard Russell

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM