BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: How long after an interview do you wait to call?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Alex

• Visitor
How long after an interview do you wait to call?
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
I have been looking for a new job off and on for the last year.  I graduated from college a little over 2 years ago and I have been working with the same civil engineering firm since i graduated.  I am currently in a dead end job with bad pay and benefits.  The market is tough out there in the south east, and getting any responds from employers hasn't been great over the last year.  

Fast forward, over the last 2 weeks I have received 3 responses from employers wanting to interview me for a position.  I turned down the first offer because of the location and timing.  I performed the second interview over the phone and nailed it.  I was given an offer for an in person interview and was basically told that I was a perfect fit for the company and that they were going to extend me an offer when I came up for the visit.  I read a lot about the company, contacted a few people and discovered that they didn't have the best reputation in the engineering community (high turn over rate, working 50-60 hours a week, never giving people time off, etc.).  I am not thrilled with being expected to work 55 hours a week and only get payed for 40 (salary). Will be turning this down.

The second interview was  Friday 9-13-13 in Roswell, the exact area we wanted to live in, perfect location for both sides of our family and friend.  The job is exactly what I was looking for and the company has a good reputation.  The interview was in person and went well.  I interviewed with both principles in the firm (17 people total in company) and had a good feeling after the interview.  They asked question about when I could start, what my number was, gave me a tour of the office showing where I would be working.  I was told they would be contacting me soon with more information.  I gave them a follow up email that night after the interview expressing my interest and thanking them for interviewing me.  One of them responded saying they would be in touch soon.

It has now been over week with no contact.  I was wondering what the general consensus is on if I should contact them or leave it be. Sorry for the long post, but job searching has gotten me stressed to say the least in this economy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:49:32 PM by Alex »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: How long after an interview do you wait to call?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
I would get back in contact with them, a week is more than enough time for a follow up.

BigJerm

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
3-5 days. Call now

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
Call the HR Mgr or person you've interacted with

and let them know you are following up to the interview,

that you remain very interested,

and ask if you are still being considered for this position.

They may just be waiting to see if you follow up.

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 03:12:52 PM »
Good timing haha. Just got an offer today.

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 03:32:12 PM »
Great, now don't be a lurker... //OLDSKOOL//
I've grown tired of this.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »
They were probably waiting to see if a Tech grad would apply before they hired someone from Clemson.   //phantomskull// //;D//

Good luck with the new position.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
Awesome outcome!  If you are ever underpaid, you should let your management know and if they don't fix it...do what you did.  Rock on, sir.

I am evidently a beta user of Tapatalk 4 even though I paid for the software...this software is buggy.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
Haha Ben I have been a inactive for a while. It is amazing how much time a baby can take up. I am going t take the offer tomorrow after they answer a few questions. It was over a 10k raise though so I couldn't be happier. What am I looking for as far as rent in the sandy springs area?  Really expensive.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Re: How long after an interview do you wait to call?
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
Pay more and live as close to work as you can.

Still have the jeep?

Sent off camber

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 08:41:29 PM »
Doug unfortunately the jeep has been gone for a few years now. Going to build another one before long though as soon.

Offline Oscar_Mike 2013

• Oscar Mike OG
  • Visitor
  • We might be friends, but I will still correct you!
Re:
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
I totally agree with Doug. It is worth more than money, to have a shirt commute.

Sent from the iCloud above.......somewhere.
So new to this that I don't even know what to ask!!!!
Richard Russell

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM