BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Grillin' and Chillin'  (Read 92389 times)

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
Re: Grillin' and Chillin'
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
So just over a month ago (10/25) I got a new to me Kamado Joe Classic. So far I have done a couple of butts, a several pork loins, and a turkey.  One thing for sure, I am learning a ton about this smoking life.

All this time I have seen this thread and never read it. In the past few days I have "binge read" it.

There is a ton of info within this thread, I would like to go back and capture the highlights. Maybe someday... I have been following another forum Kamado Guru which has many subforms that are grill brand specific (BGE, KJ, Vision, etc...)  They also have a thread about cold smoking cheese. You can use a little webber type smokey joe for the smoke generator and use dryer duct to feed it into your lower vent of your egg. but at that, it still gets too hot and needs ice water inside to cool off.

One thing for sure, I'm looking forward to doing a 321 rack of ribs.  Also, @tcdawg, what temp to you smoke your butt's at to run them for 23-24 hours? I'm thinking 195-200 to keep them on there that long.

Edit: added pics

I smoke my butts and brisket at 225

I don't personally smoke below 200

Jay gave you a good link, go there and learn up.  Good stuff

And he gave you some good advice...If you are looking, you aren't cooking!!!!  Keep the lid closed and trust in the smoke :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:50:17 AM by tcdawg »

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #423 on: December 02, 2015, 02:04:24 PM »
I use a gas Charbroil grill that needs to be replaced next year.  I grill that basics and that's it.  I still don't know how to cook something to a particular temperature but I guess good.  I have a basic formula in my head of Temp, Time, Thickness and get close 90% of the time.  I am never able to press down on the meat to figure out if it is rare, mr, m, etc.

My wife hates smoked meat and even meat grilled on a Green Egg.  I'd like to get better at grilling and get an Egg type grill.  I'd have to figure out how to grill without the smokey taste, but I also want to learn how to smoke meat as well (she doesn't have to eat it) for parties and such.

Where do I start Yoda?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 02:05:34 PM by BigMike »

Offline gint2

• Visitor
  • RAINMAN - 18436572
« Reply #424 on: December 02, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »
When you did your turkey did you brine it first? Brining is the key to juicyness. Your finish temps weren't too much in my opinion.

No brine. I was "experimenting" with a wine based injection marinade recipe that I got form someone. He said he never brined a bird and never needs to... I will try again but with a brine. The only temp issue I had was I ran the temp on the bird uncovered to 140 instead of 120. I should have covered it at 120. The final temp of 170 was correct so maybe that is where I failed on that one.

Nice! Welcome komando Kevin

Kevin?? Is that my grilling code name?
Sorry dude.  I assumed your name was Kevin based on Doug's post!  LOL!  I will just have to go with that from now on as that's how I'll remember you. 

Hey, just being remembered is pretty cool in my book.

@tcdawg
I try to never lift the lid. I use a remote internal thermometer just so I don't open it. The butts I have done have been pretty good and fairly easy.
smoke at 230
put on grill for 3 hrs and forget.
after 3 hrs put in a pan with apple juice, cover with foil and cook until internal of 205.
That's usually another 3-4 hours.
Then uncover, brush with sauce if wanted and snuff the fire. let it sit for 1 hour.
Pull from grill and pull it before it gets too cold.
JK-AJ

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
I use a gas Charbroil grill that needs to be replaced next year.  I grill that basics and that's it.  I still don't know how to cook something to a particular temperature but I guess good.  I have a basic formula in my head of Temp, Time, Thickness and get close 90% of the time.  I am never able to press down on the meat to figure out if it is rare, mr, m, etc.

My wife hates smoked meat and even meat grilled on a Green Egg.  I'd like to get better at grilling and get an Egg type grill.  I'd have to figure out how to grill without the smokey taste, but I also want to learn how to smoke meat as well (she doesn't have to eat it) for parties and such.

Where do I start Yoda?

Meet me at Jay's, bring beer....you will learn much

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #426 on: December 02, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »
Autocorrect Kevin!

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #427 on: December 02, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »

Where do I start Yoda?

Meet me at Jay's, bring beer....you will learn much

Let's do it.

Also, make this.
Jay

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #428 on: December 02, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »

Where do I start Yoda?

I saw a Pit Boss Kamado 22", with what appears to be a bunch of accessories (stand, wings, etc) for $649.99 the other day.

- Torg

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline BigMike

• Visitor
« Reply #429 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:26 PM »

Where do I start Yoda?

I saw a Pit Boss Kamado 22", with what appears to be a bunch of accessories (stand, wings, etc) for $649.99 the other day.

- Torg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pit-Boss-Kamado-Ceramic-Charcoal-Grill/2192385.uts

How do they compare to the others?

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #430 on: December 02, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
Also, you can cook on these ceramic grills without the smoke taste.  There are a few factors that affect that.
Jay

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #431 on: December 02, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »

Where do I start Yoda?

- Torg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pit-Boss-Kamado-Ceramic-Charcoal-Grill/2192385.uts

How do they compare to the others?

now they are just as good as any of them

Years ago they were not as good, the ceramic was very thin, they were also much less expensive.  But all the new ones I have seen look real good and my friends that have them love them and they are not as cheaply priced as they used to be either.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM