BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Grillin' and Chillin'  (Read 92402 times)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re: Grillin' and Chillin'
« Reply #612 on: November 21, 2016, 03:26:33 PM »
Looks good, I've never done one so keep the info coming

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I was telling John via text...this is as close to Franklin's in Austin as I've ever made;  The difference is that they do it day-in and day-out, where I've done 2 truly great ones in 15 attempts.  Both of those great ones were with whole packers...the only two times I used whole packers that I can remember.  Both were also 'Choice' cuts.

A couple of weeks ago I was in a discussion with one guy who smokes a good bit, and another who likes to talk like he's an expert.  The 'expert' said, if you're smoking just a brisket flat, you're wasting your time, to which the other guy agreed;  I didn't argue, but I was thinking, "nah, I've had some of my flats turn out pretty good."  However, after some reflection, there is no way I could put up any of the flats I've done against a whole packer...it just isn't the same.  The dude who smokes a bunch said he gets Prime cuts of whole packers at Costco in Denver ( @jc79  )...we can only get flat choice in my Costco :(

Also, keep in mind that the awesome brisket from Harlan was a whole packer, too.  A whole packer is a commitment to meat, so be prepared to either have a big group, or eat it for a week!  This time the side of beef was so big I had to cut it in half or it wouldn't fit in my smoker, which concerned me a bit due to how it would turn out after such a bastardization, but it worked out fine.  The smaller portion took roughly 10 hours, while the larger section took 13 hours.  I went to 200+ (less than 210), on both...targeting 203F, but my manual thermometer only goes to 200, so it's a guess after that.  I did faux cambro each section for about 1.5 hours after the cook was done.

I cooked the point and the flat as a solid piece, and in fact, I still have not separated them.  At Franklin's, they will separate the point from the flat after it has been smoked (right before they serve it to you).  IIRC, the brisket at Harlan was separated ahead of the smoking activity, but I could be recalling that incorrectly. @tcdawg @Jeepson33s

Wes said that he has tried to serve brisket to groups at his house, and they just don't understand it, so he has stopped that practice and now only does the pork.  He felt it was a waste of money to buy brisket for pork folks :)  I agree, especially if they are going to coat it in BBQ sauce...good brisket should not need much, if any, sauce.  I prefer it without the sauce, unless it was like my last flat where i had to put sauce on it or else i couldn't eat it...so dry and boring.
Thank you!

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #613 on: November 21, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
Yes, we separated the point from the flat at Harlan

However, I usually do not. I cook it uncut(but well trimmed) and the separate after it's done.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #614 on: November 24, 2016, 08:43:44 AM »
Turkey in the brine all night
Salt kosher
Brown sugar
Rosemary
Thyme
Naval orange rind
Garlic cloves and powder
Onion
Lemon
Sage
Potato
Olive oil
Black pepper

Will go on the egg about noon

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #615 on: November 24, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
Turkey in the brine all night
Salt kosher
Brown sugar
Rosemary
Thyme
Naval orange rind
Garlic cloves and powder
Onion
Lemon
Sage
Potato
Olive oil
Black pepper

Will go on the egg about noon

We are cooking the same recipe
Jay

Offline jc79

• Visitor
Grillin' and Chillin'
« Reply #616 on: November 24, 2016, 11:23:16 AM »
That brine sounds awesome. Doug, what's the final plan for the cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #617 on: November 24, 2016, 11:36:53 AM »
That brine sounds awesome. Doug, what's the final plan for the cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Egg 350, hickory chips,

Stuff the turkey with the lemon quarters, the remaining halved garlic head and onion, thyme, sage, and potatoes. Brush the turkey with olive oil and season with pepper and garlic powder.

Using double pan to catch droppings for gravy without scorching but it's tough on a medium egg to fit everything.

Cook to 165.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #618 on: November 24, 2016, 11:45:20 AM »

Using double pan to catch droppings for gravy without scorching but it's tough on a medium egg to fit everything.

Cook to 165.

I rolled up foil and made a little stand to keep the pan off the placesetter
Jay

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #619 on: November 24, 2016, 11:49:39 AM »
This is interesting

One.
20 to 30 minutes before you put it in the Egg (or oven), take a one gallon zip lock bag full of ice cubes and lay it over the breasts for the 20 to 30 minutes. What this does is lower the breast temps sufficiently that over the course of the roasting, the breast and thighs will be done at the same time. Over the years (and I’ve been doing the Thanksgiving turkey now for over 30 years), I’ve tried every trick in the book (paper bags, breast side down, terry cloth towels over the breast, etc.) and the ice bag absolutely works. I’ve been doing this now for about 20 years, and I’ve consistently had perfectly done, moist breasts finished right along with well cooked thighs. If you don’t do anything else, try this. Remove the bag of ice just before putting it in the Egg.

Two.
Last steps prior to putting the bird in the Egg (or oven), take your Mad Max Turkey Seasoning and butter paste and liberally apply it all over the bird. You can work some under the skin if you want to, but it's not necessary.
Then, open a bottle of white wine (most any good white will do), and pour half the bottle all over the bird and in the cavity. DON’T drink the rest of the bottle, you will need it for the gravy.

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #620 on: November 24, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »
I did Mad Max last week for the work turkey. Doing rathbun's today. I only iced them for about 15 minutes on this one. Messed up and didn't do it on the MM turkey.
Jay

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #621 on: November 24, 2016, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #622 on: November 24, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
Black Gold AKA, Brisket

Offline jd30005

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #623 on: November 24, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
I have a brisket working now and will be frying a turkey.
John
Tube chassis/buggy

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM