BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Where to buy a non running Jeep?  (Read 629 times)

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
Where to buy a non running Jeep?
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:31:37 PM »
Hey guys, as some of you know, my tj was totaled by a drunk driver. I bought it back, and want to put my parts to good use. Im in the market for an LJ, but will consider another TJ . I read all these builds where guys buy a clean jeep with a blown motor/trans/etc for stupid cheap. Where and the heck are these guys getting these? I see them on eBay all of the time. What do you even look for when buying a rig sight unseen? I want to buy as close to stock as I can. I dont see the point in buying a rig that's running perfectly. I didnt know if there's some top secret places these guys are buying these or what. In case its relevant, here's my plans:

Buy a nice somewhat clean LJ with a major mechanical problem. No rust, no frame damage, good interior/top/paint.
Swap the complete drivetrain and engine wiring/pcm from my wrecked tj into it(4.7 stroker, 3spd 32rh, 231/sye, and my 8.8)

I also want suggestions. Buy a good running LJ that's in my price range, or buy a fixer upper. I will end up dd'ing it alot, but I have a new dd until its ready. I really want to reuse the ATK 4.7, as it has less then 10k miles on it. My bds front coils and OME rears can be reused, I never installed my adjustable tb's, and I love the 32rh. Seeing as how the LJ's didnt have that option, I'd have to work that one out myself
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 09:36:32 PM by The_Dealer »
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Re: Where to buy a non running Jeep?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 09:46:51 PM »
I'd keep an eye on pirate and hardline classifieds...I am pretty sure I've seen something like you seek, in general, in the past.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Daveys Jeeps for salvage that are almost ready to roll...

Sent off camber

Offline cudruln

• Visitor
Re:
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:53 PM »
There was one on hardline with no motor or axles a while back. Custom cage with other work done. Just keep a eye out and go from there

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Alex

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Where to buy a non running Jeep?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
If for some reason you change your mind and part out your Jeep, I would be interested in the 4.7.
Till then check this out.

http://www.hardlinecrawlers.com/forums/index.php?topic=29970.0
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:00:48 PM »
What is hardline? Im really wanting something stock, or close to it. I learned my lesson buying an already built k20. Having to go through and redo all of the rigged up crap, replace cheap parts. I seriously would've came out alot better to do everything myself on a stocker. It was just so damn clean. Plus I want to follow the plan I had for my tj. I'll be reusing the coils, but instead of the RE arms I'll start with mc ones. Some guys dont like mix matching coils, but I fell in love with the BDS 3" front(158lb/in) and OME HD rear(160lb/in). I plan on 3" suspension, 1"bl+ucf tt, 8.8 rear, d44 front, MC arched fronts, TNT rear corners/flares, and 37's. I didnt think about daveys jeeps. How important is it to have a clean title over a salvage title? Im assuming for resale value? The junkyards I've seen has some rigs like im looking for(non jeeps) that have salvage titles. Should I steer clear of something like that? Its not going to be my primary vehicle, but I still want to have it registered, and be able to drive it whenever I wanted. Im one of the rare few who actually like  to drive a decently built jeep everyday. Now that the wife has a wk2, I now have a tow pig.

I've also thought about parting the tj out, and doing an sas on my kj with a jk rubi 44. Be alot cheaper then a new rig, and I could put the money saved elsewhere. Decisions decisions.   

LT99LS1: of I decided to sell the motor, you prolly wouldn't like the price. Its an ATK 4.7 "base/stage 1" , Bosch 4 hole injectors(fiveomotorsports/flow matched and rebuilt 24lb/hr), new IAC/TPS/MAP/CPS/Cam position sensor/IAT/oil pressure senser/upstream 02/ and factory 2 flange header. I'd even throw in the hoses, , motor mounts, and a/c crap. But i couldn't take less then $2700. It has less then 10k miles, performed ATK's break in by the book using Royal purple break in oil.  All sensors are oem replacement except the tps/iat/map(bwd). If you would still be interested, i will let you know if i decide to sell it. I paid $3000 for the crate motor, and later spent around 500-600 on sensors(no issues, just wanted new sensors). All receipts as well
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:15:48 PM by The_Dealer »
2000 TJ
ATK 4.7 stroker, Bds coils, disco's, 1" bl, 33x10.50 km2, soft 8's, RE LCA's, Skyjacker shocks

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
Hardlinecrawlers.com and pirate4x4.com are other online forums with classified sections.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 11:16:01 PM »
^ and generally, for what you're paying, the stuff on there is not junk.
Will

94 seXj

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
I've been looking over on pirate, but most of them are a little more then  what would fit me. Yea, I actually trust buying a built rig on pirate, 90% of them were built by well known shops anyways. I've had good luck on buying parts off pirate members as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a built rig on tons with thousands of dollars worth of bling top notch parts, but I really dont need it. Hell, I really wouldn't need 37's these days, but it would be capable if I wanted it to be. With the kids, and the wheeling I'd do, buying a built rig would be a waste. I'd rather see a "pirate" rig go to someone that will really beat on it. I also just really like taking a rig from stock, and slowly building it up. Now after the kids get older, I want to start doing the serious fab, and teaching my son some wrenching skills
2000 TJ

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 12:20:14 AM »
I think you would be far ahead if you found one of those built tj or jk that can wheel or be a dd. Part yours out. Fixing a few things is far cheaper than building out. Nice tj pop up on pirate, not so much on hardline.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline The_Dealer

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:28 PM »
I figured it would be easier to copy and paste this from my post in another thread.

I found an 05 LJ(red/dark gray interior) on eBay last night, and im waiting on the seller to get back with me. It was overheated due to a WP leak, and knocks skips, and smokes. It has 120k, and is an auto, with a/c. Its in Louisiana, and looks to be in pretty good shape. He's asking a pretty good price as well. If he gets back to me, and I like what I hear, I'll be getting it. My buddy lives in the same town, so im going to see if the seller will let him check it out for me. I need to search around a bit about putting the 32rh in a newer tj. I imagine with the tj wiring and pcm it would work.

I heard back from the seller, he's asking $4200, which sounds like a fair price. My buddy is going over this afternoon to check it out. If he can get it to around $4k, he's going to buy it. I'll reimburse him when I pick it up. Hopefully he can get it cheaper then going through eBay
2000 TJ

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re:
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 08:40:50 AM »
Why not the 42rle? The 32 doesn't have OD.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM