BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Steel vs Aluminum trailer for 1/2 ton truck  (Read 516 times)

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
Re: Steel vs Aluminum trailer for 1/2 ton truck
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
This was good to read, I have been looking at regular duty trucks for a bit, wanting to make sure I can tow my JKU if  buy one.
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
This may be common knowledge to some but if your new to towing. Make sure you only tow in DRIVE, never tow in OD. Especially with a gasser.

I had heard that, but thanks for confirming! 
Dave

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice!  It is an automatic, so sounds like I should add the tranny cooler.  I was also thinking of adding an extra leaf to the rear springs to boost the suspension a bit.

that would help, or airbags.  A good hitch shop can really give you a lot advise on the options.  Here in Marietta I went to Pat Rogers Trailer Hitches and they gave real good advice.

I'll have to make a trip to see them.  I don't know anything about the airbag option, so I'll ask him to explain all that to me.  Thanks!
Dave

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 12:07:54 PM »
I have airbags on the Tahoe.  Coil rear spring, so very easy.  Helps keep her level.

$78

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/air-60769/overview/year/2004/make/chevrolet/model/tahoe

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »
This may be common knowledge to some but if your new to towing. Make sure you only tow in DRIVE, never tow in OD. Especially with a gasser.
I would look at each vehicle on a case by case basis. My old gasser tow pig was made to tow in OD. Fuel injected 454 and 10 mpg loaded or unloaded.
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 01:38:45 PM »
Don't know if it's been said yet but, just because it's made of aluminum doesn't mean it's lighter than steel. Often the extra metal required to make aluminium meet the same strength negates any weight difference.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:37 PM »
I would look at each vehicle on a case by case basis. My old gasser tow pig was made to tow in OD. Fuel injected 454 and 10 mpg loaded or unloaded.

Agree, absolutely case by case, not all created equal. Several HD gassers are made to tow small, medium loads and have suspension, etc to assist.

Just saying most 1500s, F150, V8 SUVs are all gonna want to avoid OD to prolong tranny life. Play it safe. Unless your vehicle is specifically made to do so. They are light duty and usually have light duty trannies equipped.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM