BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Steel vs Aluminum trailer for 1/2 ton truck  (Read 521 times)

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
Steel vs Aluminum trailer for 1/2 ton truck
« on: January 24, 2014, 07:54:46 AM »
I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2 liter gas engine, and it has a 8100 max towing capacity according to the owner's manual.  I found an aluminum trailer that weighs 1350 pounds and a steel trailer that weighs about 2200 pounds.  So loaded I think the trailer will be around 6500 for the aluminum trailer and 7350 for the steel one.  Beside the weight, the biggest difference is the price, the aluminum trailer is twice the price of the steel one.  To tow with a 15 year old truck with 125k miles on it, is the 1000 pound savings worth the extra price?

Thanks!
Dave
Dave

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
Re: Steel vs Aluminum trailer for 1/2 ton truck
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:04:28 AM »
Rated towing capacity has a pretty large safety factor built in, and there's not a huge amount of steep hill towing around here.  You should be good as long as the truck is in good shape.  If it has an auto transmission I'd get a cooler for it if it doesn't have one.  That's regardless of which trailer you choose.

Be prepared for crappy gas mileage when towing.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »
Dave, I had the same exact truck until last year when I sold it.

I asked the exact same question to a number of folks.  The answers were almost all the same.  If the truck is in good shape mechanically, put a trans cooler on it and use some type of load level hitch(possibly with airbags due to the non HD rear suspension) and you would be good to go with either trailer although the lighter the better. 

You would need to be easy on the transmission as its not a HD trans but it will work.  And as KVom said, you'll get crappy mileage when towing.

I wish I still had my old truck

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:58 AM »
I don't know the answer for you.  It only costing twice as much is impressive, IIRC from previous searches for a trailer aluminum was about 3x.

If the cost comparison was $0.8K vs $1.6K, with my level of disposable income, I would pay the extra $800 for the lighter weight and theoretically higher resale value in the future.  I suspect you are in a price range of $1.8K vs $3.6K, which would probably make me question whether I would do the same thing or just save the money for potential repairs to the truck.  Additionally, for the purpose of driving a 4x4 vehicle to a once a month outing, I would take a heavier trailer with brakes on both axles versus a lighter trailer with brakes on one axle.  I doubt the extra 800lbs of weight for the trailer will have a long term impact on the reliability of the truck, since they both fall under the max towing guidelines for the truck.

I would also look at Dodge forums to determine the anticipated lifespan of the transmission in that truck, especially when you start towing.  I am very skittish with Chrysler transmissions based on seemingly magical ~100K mile transmission repairs needed that I have heard about from several friends with Chrysler products.  I am assuming you have an automatic.
Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:21:50 AM »

I would also look at Dodge forums to determine the anticipated lifespan of the transmission in that truck, especially when you start towing.  I am very skittish with Chrysler transmissions based on seemingly magical ~100K mile transmission repairs needed that I have heard about from several friends with Chrysler products.  I am assuming you have an automatic.

Mine went out at about 140K miles, put a rebuilt one in from Chrysler and drove it another 45K miles before I sold it, no trans issues.  I towed a fairly light motocross trailer with it probably 25 times a year for 3 years or so.

Offline jkDave

• Visitor
  • Hey look, a trail...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »
Thanks for the advice!  It is an automatic, so sounds like I should add the tranny cooler.  I was also thinking of adding an extra leaf to the rear springs to boost the suspension a bit.
Dave

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice!  It is an automatic, so sounds like I should add the tranny cooler.  I was also thinking of adding an extra leaf to the rear springs to boost the suspension a bit.

that would help, or airbags.  A good hitch shop can really give you a lot advise on the options.  Here in Marietta I went to Pat Rogers Trailer Hitches and they gave real good advice.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:21 AM »
This may be common knowledge to some but if your new to towing. Make sure you only tow in DRIVE, never tow in OD. Especially with a gasser.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:03 AM »
Should be fine. 

My Tahoe has 292,000 on it with original transmission and engine., Synthetic oil and trans servicing and towing package from the factory with the extra trans cooler.

I have towed my other JK (6500#) around the Southeast on a steel trailer behind a Z71 4x4 Tahoe with no issues.  Electric brakes on both axles make a big difference, and most of all not being in a hurry, and easing up the big hills.

Now I have an aluminum trailer (10,000# GVWR) and towed it to Moab and over the Rockies in 2012.  Still tow with it today.

Offline Jeepster1407

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:45 AM »
Holy cow... 292,000 miles on a 4L60E...
Most LCOG Builds are like a fat girl in Yoga Pants, just cause it fits doesn't mean it works...

Offline PopTop

• Visitor
  • PopTop
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
that would help, or airbags.  A good hitch shop can really give you a lot advise on the options.  Here in Marietta I went to Pat Rogers Trailer Hitches and they gave real good advice.

I agree ^^^  ... I was there this week. Good, knowlegeable folks.

FYI, Pat Rogers has moved from the old spot on Hwy 41 to an out-of-the-way spot in an industrial park off Hwy 41. Guess that Hwy 41 road frontage rent was getting expensive.
Kevin

"Wonder what this button does?"

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »
Holy cow... 292,000 miles on a 4L60E...

I'm thankful!

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM